PDA

View Full Version : Timing pointer for BBF?

Jetmugg
06-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Where is the timing pointer supposed to be for a 460 Ford? Right now, I have no frame of reference (or a pointer) to set the timing on my 460. Are there aftermarket pointers available like there are for Chevy engines?
SteveM.

Squirtcha?
06-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Mine's at about 10:00, but I know it's not right. On my motor, it mounts to the front (homemade) timing cover/engine plate/mount). No telling if they drilled the holes in the proper place. My guess would be NOT!
Best way would probably be to get a degree wheel and find absolute TDC, then make a new one, or adjust the old.

Mighty Thor
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
I bought a ford engine book and they show all 429 460 engines with the pointer at that 10:00 position. I saw the same pointer I have on mine at NAPA. and a local hot rod store had a chrome one I think from Mr. Gasket. since the marine water covers have to bolt to the same front cover as the factory pump I am pretty sure you can buy one and get it to line up properly, but Squirtcha is right, For the most accurate timing you might want to go TDC and mark everything yourself to a known starting point.