PDA

View Full Version : Home Electrical Panel Question.

*BN*
06-28-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm in the process of re-modeling our house and have found out that my electrical panel is tapped out.
I was wondering what I should expect to pay or need from So Cal Edison to upgrade to a 200amp panel.
What i really need from my panel is 220v but the stock panel is tapped out since i have pool equipment tied in.
Thanks in advance.

wildbillg
06-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Im in Havasu, when I installed my pool I had them run a whole nother 80amp panel off the main panel so I could run all the pool equip of that one. :confused:

cola
06-28-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm in the process of re-modeling our house and have found out that my electrical panel is tapped out.
I was wondering what I should expect to pay or need from So Cal Edison to upgrade to a 200amp panel.
What i really need from my panel is 220v but the stock panel is tapped out since i have pool equipment tied in.
Thanks in advance.
You should have no charge from So. Cal. Edison. The 200amp panel upgrade will run you $ 1500 - $ 2500 without looking at it.
Late, Mike

Mandelon
06-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Last one I had done cost me about $2000 for a new 250 amp panel (in San Diego)

*BN*
06-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, I will run the sub panel idea by the contractor but I think he will insist on the 200amp deal.
What got me here was he stated that the So Cal Edison will also charge and I didn't quite understand why. he said something about the wire from the pole not being able to supply the 200amps.
Will know more about that I guees when Edison shows up or the electrician who will do the job.

Sleek-Jet
06-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, I will run the sub panel idea by the contractor but I think he will insist on the 200amp deal.
What got me here was he stated that the So Cal Edison will also charge and I didn't quite understand why. he said something about the wire from the pole not being able to supply the 200amps.
Will know more about that I guees when Edison shows up or the electrician who will do the job.
Yep, you'll need to upgrade the wire size for a 200 amp... I don't know what you have now, but most older 100 amp services had small copper wire.

Mandelon
06-28-2005, 07:55 AM
The utility would provide the upgraded drop line, but you will need like double 00 from the weather head down to your new box.... the electrician will know.

Sleek-Jet
06-28-2005, 08:06 AM
The utility would provide the upgraded drop line, but you will need like double 00 from the weather head down to your new box.... the electrician will know.
Does SCE or SDGE charge to upgrade the drop???

Outnumbered
06-28-2005, 08:12 AM
I did this on my house in Arrowhead. Went from 100 to 200 amp. Contractor charged about $1,500 and Edison charged zero to run the new line from the curb to the panel. I dug the trench and installed the conduit from the street to the box. We left a pull wire and Edison pulled thru and hooked up for no charge. The original feed was direct burial :220v: and would not handle more than 100 amp service. You can get 220v from your new panel, it just takes up two breakers in the new panel. The feed from the street is 220-240V if I remember right.

Deano
06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Call this guy below. He is a top notch electrician that only charges like 30.00 per hour plus parts. You can get everything done for really (like half price) cheap. He has done alot of work for me (hooking up and running wire for double wides, switch gear upgrades, and pool)
Jayson Price
hm. (909) 272-5996
Cell (714) 501-8960