PDA

View Full Version : Engine Dilemna!!!

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 07:40 AM
I swear this boat hates me!!! as we were finishing up last night...installing the starter we came to realize that there is a bolt broken off inside the block about a 1/4 inch deep inside the block!!! The guy we bought the motor from failed to mention...and well I didnt think to check it.... :( come 10:30 here @ work im pulling the motor back out...and going to try and tap the bitch out....with an ecl and a guide...hopefully it works...or else im screwed... :cry:

Boozer
06-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Damn dude sounds like the hot boat gods are not on your side at the moment. You should be able to use an E-Z out on it and get the bolt out unless it got snapped because someone was to lazy to use a torque wrench and hulked the sh*t till it snapped. If that's the case you may want to consider going down to a machine shop and seeing if they can laser it out.

LHC30Victory
06-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Try a left hand drill first! if it is not welded into the threads, that and some heat on the block should let it loose!

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 07:48 AM
last night we tried the left hand drill while it was still in the block..but we couldnt get the angle we needed...so I am pulling the focker @ work today...and using the guide to make sure it drills straight and hopefully that works...if not...I may need to take it to a shop and have them lazer it...good thing my company has all the tools... :D :burningm:

Jbb
06-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Try a left hand drill first! if it is not welded into the threads, that and some heat on the block should let it loose!
Yes...left handed drill first with some PB Blaster or Kroil...

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 08:05 AM
how much does it cost to get lazered out??? and do they use what is called the desinigrator??

meaniam
06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
how much does it cost to get lazered out??? and do they use what is called the desinigrator??
damn that blow bro. wtf is lazered never heard of it. must be saying starter bolt on inside bolt hole broke. becuase if it was outside hole i had that happen once. dont remember big block or small proably small. i saw the jole almost went through the casting i drilled it from the top. then retapped it. actually i think i helicoiled it. over 8 years ago. did things a little ass backward when i was a teen. plus i reconize i am lazy
good luck hope to see you on the river
you still have valve covers
mike
oh ps dont take my advise it sucks....i mean i would take my advise...
dude work your ass off

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 08:19 AM
damn that blow bro. wtf is lazered never heard of it. must be saying starter bolt on inside bolt hole broke. becuase if it was outside hole i had that happen once. dont remember big block or small proably small. i saw the jole almost went through the casting i drilled it from the top. then retapped it. actually i think i helicoiled it. over 8 years ago. did things a little ass backward when i was a teen. plus i reconize i am lazy
good luck hope to see you on the river
you still have valve covers
mike
oh ps dont take my advise it sucks....i mean i would take my advise...
dude work your ass off
haha..yeah bro..I still have the valve covers, the bolt is the outside bolt. one more hour till d day..we will see how it comes out....fock..If I dont make it out..im sinking the focker!!!

meaniam
06-28-2005, 08:21 AM
a chevy engine shouldnt take more then 30 min to unbolt. use airtools and 1 hour to setup and pull out.5 hours max.to drill and retap and that is me being lazy time.i use that alot. droping engine in 2-3 hours. get orginized that is the key.have all your sae sockets and wrench ready and in order. rest leave for river tomorrow
i have no orginzation neighbors are pissed at me im sure. driveway a mess. tools and bolts on hoods of cars. all over the place.
i need to fab and install rear seats in raysoncraft then install second amp in montery then i will clean up.

meaniam
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
haha..yeah bro..I still have the valve covers, the bolt is the outside bolt. one more hour till d day..we will see how it comes out....fock..If I dont make it out..im sinking the focker!!!
read my post when i first started i was going to place mine in silverwood and 12 guage buckshot the damn thing
if i did it you can to. id go help but need to still test mine at silverwood tomorrow at 6am. still have a few loose end and bolts to tighten
your in long beach right

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 08:26 AM
a chevy engine shouldnt take more then 30 min to unbolt. use airtools and 1 hour to setup and pull out.5 hours max.to drill and retap and that is me being lazy time.i use that alot. droping engine in 2-3 hours. get orginized that is the key.have all your sae sockets and wrench ready and in order. rest leave for river tomorrow
i have no orginzation neighbors are pissed at me im sure. driveway a mess. tools and bolts on hoods of cars. all over the place.
i need to fab and install rear seats in raysoncraft then install second amp in montery then i will clean up.
haha..we have a big a frame here at work so to pull the motor will take me 10 minutes...then drain the oil so I can put on the stand, flip the bitch...then start tapping..hopefully im outta here thrusday morning...when are you headed to the zoo???

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
read my post when i first started i was going to place mine in silverwood and 12 guage buckshot the damn thing
if i did it you can to. id go help but need to still test mine at silverwood tomorrow at 6am. still have a few loose end and bolts to tighten
your in long beach right
haha buck shot would work..i got my tech guys here at work who are going to assist me..and then bruce (squeezing spectra)..who Im going to bug the shit out of later. :crossx: yup...the LBC

meaniam
06-28-2005, 08:45 AM
leaving at 2pm to 230 pm. i fixed my cassel so i need to test run boat for a couple of hours tommrow morning at 6 am. then wait for wife and convo (crew) to show up wife and bro leave work in rancho cucamunga at 130pm
god i hope things go well for me tomorrow mornig by really pissed if i wasted between 9 to 10 grand in 3 months and not able to take i. what time you leaving tomorrow

meaniam
06-28-2005, 08:47 AM
haha buck shot would work..i got my tech guys here at work who are going to assist me..and then bruce (squeezing spectra)..who Im going to bug the shit out of later. :crossx: yup...the LBC
wait your boss not only lets you work on your boat at work use his equipment but take his techs. no shit. are you going to be on the clock to

welk2party
06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your engine. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you this weekend.

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
wait your boss not only lets you work on your boat at work use his equipment but take his techs. no shit. are you going to be on the clock to
yeah..im still on the clock...haha...good to work for an engine company.. :D I plan to head around noon on thursday if possible..so I can test the boat at elsinore in the morning...

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your engine. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you this weekend.
whats up brotha..when we going to hit the bars??? thanks for the words...me too...it was already too..!!! :mad:

welk2party
06-28-2005, 10:01 AM
whats up brotha..when we going to hit the bars??? thanks for the words...me too...it was already too..!!! :mad:
Soon, hopefully! Going to Vegas and Lake Mead this weekend.... :D Hope you make it to the water and have fun with the boat.

tamalewagon
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
I swear this boat hates me!!! as we were finishing up last night...installing the starter we came to realize that there is a bolt broken off inside the block about a 1/4 inch deep inside the block!!! The guy we bought the motor from failed to mention...and well I didnt think to check it.... :( come 10:30 here @ work im pulling the motor back out...and going to try and tap the bitch out....with an ecl and a guide...hopefully it works...or else im screwed... :cry:
No talent...is it shallow enough to get a small magnet in there to get the bolt out?

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
No talent...is it shallow enough to get a small magnet in there to get the bolt out?
nope..the magnet wouldnt do the trick....its in there tight...
Soon, hopefully! Going to Vegas and Lake Mead this weekend.... Hope you make it to the water and have fun with the boat.
well let me know...have fun in vegas bro..thats going to go off!! and cooling down in mead...u got it made..is your boat already now???

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 10:38 AM
alright..just pulled the motor in just over 30 minutes..now back to work..I will be back out there in an hour...I will give you all the update... :D

meaniam
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
good luck maybe see ya out there still have a few kinks myself to work out havazooooooooo this weekend. thursday ill have a 1 day leg up on ya
hopefully

Totally IncapASSitated
06-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Damn Brandon....got that thing runnin' already!!!! Goshhhhh
Let me know what ur deal is for this weekend...and next for that matter

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Well I spent alot of time drilling at the bitch...and it ate up 3 cobalt drill bits...I am almost threw the bolt...I will have it tapped and hopefully rethreaded at work first thing in the morning. If not taped helicoil we go...then drop it back in and finish it...good thing I dont work thursday...all nighter wed...and wake up early am thursday...

NOTALENT
06-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Damn Brandon....got that thing runnin' already!!!! Goshhhhh
The plans we had for this weekend...with all the peeps fell to shit..its sooo un orchestrated now... I will be up there thursday night regardless....one way or another!!! are you guys rolling out or what??? let me know...my buddies rented a house some where...but with what they have planned...well lets just say im not that intrested...so let me know whats crackin!