PDA

View Full Version : 99 htm

tbanzer
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Looking at a 99 htm. Can anyone tell me some characteristics of this hull in a 2-4ft chop. presently the boat is powered by a 609ci, and im told it runs in the upper 80s.

Jordy
06-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Anyone have any popcorn??? :D
First off, I'd do a search on HTM and see what you find out that way.
Secondly, I'd call your insurance guy and see how long he laughs at you before you talk to Mr. Click. Insuring a 24' boat (especially a cat) with 609 c.i. (figure 600hp+) isn't an easy task these days. I called all over the place a while back looking for insurance on a 25' Daytona and a Mach 26 with an HP500 and was laughed at. ;)

FASTERDAMITT
06-28-2005, 02:43 PM
24' overall. I think the actual running surface is more like 17". You don't have kids do you?

BADBLOWN572
06-28-2005, 02:51 PM
You don't have kids do you?
:2purples: :crossx: :eek: :skull: :220v: ;) :D

ChumpChange
06-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Look at the pictures from their regatta to see how they run in chop.
http://www.jtinc.com/HTM_05/HTM_Home_Page.htm
I'll let you know that there were a lot more pictures on the site until some of them got taken down due to people "pointing out" their handling qualities in the Sandbar.

FASTERDAMITT
06-28-2005, 04:28 PM
:2purples: :crossx: :eek: :skull: :220v: ;) :D
LMAO! :D

BoatPI
06-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Insurance should run 2500 to 3000 per year.

Jrocket
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
a 609ci, and im told it runs in the upper 80s.
609ci must be way down on power then.
I dont have any input on the chop ordeal,but I can tell you I wouldnt buy one or even ride in one.My 2 cents.

Robbie Racer
06-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Looking at a 99 htm. presently the boat is powered by a 609ci, and im told it runs in the upper 80s.
What bore and stroke is that motor? That is an odd size? Are you sure it isn't a 509? I agree that it must be way down on power (if it really is a 609) to only get an HTM up to the upper 80's. I have a friend with a HTM N/A single carb 565 that will run a tad over 100. I have ridden in his HTM and my thoughts are that 2' chop is maximum for a half way decent ride. I wouldn't want to be in it with 4' chop. That's my .02. RR

TCHB
06-28-2005, 07:45 PM
We saw an HTM on Sunday afternoon in the gorge up above Havasu doing over 100 MPH ahead of twin outboard boat. The boat looked pretty solid as it passed us.

Jordy
06-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Insurance should run 2500 to 3000 per year.
Yeah, go ahead and hand out some of what you're smoking. A 24' cat (disregarding the fact it's an HTM) with over 500hp??? Good luck finding coverage. I tried a year ago and struck out in 10 different places on a bigger boat (that wasn't an HTM) with less power. ;)
I strongly suggest talking to your insurance guy and getting a line on it before you buy the boat. That's what I did because I don't like surprises. ;)

Charley
06-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Iv'e decided I am going to run 909 CID in my next boat... Only bummer is I gotta run str8 white trash for fuel :jawdrop:

Essex29
06-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Iv'e decided I am going to run 909 CID in my next boat... Only bummer is I gotta run str8 white trash for fuel :jawdrop:
nice one :)

tbanzer
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
It may have been a 509ci. It was on boattrader and now the ad has expired. Its easy to sling mud, but Im interested in this boat so id like some honest facts to help me decide if this boat is for me or not. If not HTM what other boat in this size range will offer this much freeboard and cuddy space.

Evil-E
06-29-2005, 01:54 PM
tbanzer- I don't know why everybody is a HTM basher. I have one and I think they are great boats. No other boat in its class has the room and storage HTM has. Take some time learning to drive it and I am sure you will love it. It's not the smoothest boat on a Havasu afternoon but not 2 many boats are! Let me know if you have any questions.

prosthogod
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Throw another bag in the micro... I have a SR24('04) with a 496ho. I have a wife and 3 kids. I boat usually at Havasu. I have ~120hrs of seat time in the boat. Try and find another 24ft open bow with a cuddy, cat, that handles like a 29'. it is not possible. I'M NOT SAYING THIS BOAT DOES. In the 4-5ft blown out chop at Havi you trim it down and plow through it. if you trim it up you will get air, alot. I WOULD IMAGINE ANY BOAT HULL NEEDS SEAT TIME TO LEARN. Once you know how this boat handles you and everyone else will enjoy. I take alot of our friends kids with us all the time because they like the ride better than there dads magic deck boats. Would I rather have the SL 306 yes, or a bigger cat yes. But for us this is a great boat. By the way I'm looking into a larry peto 548efi for it.

FASTERDAMITT
06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I think HTM deisigned the boat to perform at it's best, probably not as much focus on safety as some. Cheers to HTM for having a fast hull. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is when you take a boat load of family or friends and run against a boat like American Offshore ect.. that's much more stable and don't let up for fear of defeat in the rough water. Now your talkin possible dissaster. There are many very fast 21-24' cats out there. Most are much lower profile(center of gravity), less prone to rollover in emergency manuvers. I also think the lower profile boat owners have more respect for the rough water. You don't see too many 22' DCB's running in 2.5 footers against 26' cats ect.. however I've personaly back down from races i have been in with HTM's because I was concerned for mine and thier safety when the thier boat is all over the place and the driver would not back down because he had to try to win. I'd rather so called "lose" than see a fatality. Good luck shopping.

Evil-E
06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Mine is pushed by a Larry Peto blower motor. Roughly 800 at the prop and so far 106 on the speedo. I'm sure if it was just me and empty tanks i could get a few more mph but who boats like that. :rolleyes:

liquidasset
06-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Anyone have any popcorn??? :D
First off, I'd do a search on HTM and see what you find out that way.
Secondly, I'd call your insurance guy and see how long he laughs at you before you talk to Mr. Click. Insuring a 24' boat (especially a cat) with 609 c.i. (figure 600hp+) isn't an easy task these days. I called all over the place a while back looking for insurance on a 25' Daytona and a Mach 26 with an HP500 and was laughed at. ;)
Talk to farmers insurance in LHC. Always seems to get the best quotes even with the hp. By good I mean almost half of what quotes in Cal.

liquidasset
06-29-2005, 04:38 PM
I think HTM deisigned the boat to perform at it's best, probably not as much focus on safety as some. Cheers to HTM for having a fast hull. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is when you take a boat load of family or friends and run against a boat like American Offshore ect.. that's much more stable and don't let up for fear of defeat in the rough water. Now your talkin possible dissaster. There are many very fast 21-24' cats out there. Most are much lower profile(center of gravity), less prone to rollover in emergency manuvers. I also think the lower profile boat owners have more respect for the rough water. You don't see too many 22' DCB's running in 2.5 footers against 26' cats ect.. however I've personaly back down from races i have been in with HTM's because I was concerned for mine and thier safety when the thier boat is all over the place and the driver would not back down because he had to try to win. I'd rather so called "lose" than see a fatality. Good luck shopping.
Exactly !!!

Jordy
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Talk to farmers insurance in LHC. Always seems to get the best quotes even with the hp. By good I mean almost half of what quotes in Cal.
I'm not even going to talk about what I'm paying for insurance on my 30' Spectre with twin 300x's because I don't want to jinx myself. When I was looking around I was torn between a 35' Cig and a 30' Spectre and the insurance was make or break. Insurance turned out to be so close that it was a no brainer on the gas that the I/O Cig would eat. ;)
Call your insurance agent before you do anything. ;)

Infomaniac
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
If your serious about an HTM I know where there is a newer 24' SR? (lower profile) for 45K that has a blown 540 GT engine and XR drive. Needs a little cosmetic TLC.

tbanzer
06-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Info I am interested in the boat you mentioned. How can I get in contact with the owner?

ELIMINAT THIS
06-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Not to bag on HTM (I have never been in one) There was a video from the LOTO shot out floating around you might want to see. I could not find it.

PlayTime
07-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Think you just said it best, "the driver would not back down because he had to try to win", Holds true for anyboat if you ask me. Just my 02 cents.
tbanzer - They are great boats, depending on what your running they can speed by the other boats out there, they do handle diffrently then other cats that I have riden in, you really need to learn the boat, all it takes is some seat time.
As for roll overs, it happens, do your research, faster the boat the higher the risk. Just an example don't mean to pick on the DCB guys as they make great boat, fast boat, love to have one, good quality, but they too role. Faster the boat higher the risk. Use common sense do the same searches on ***boat.
Yeah I take the family on it too, 2 boys under 2 and my wife. High freeboard so its harder for the rascals to try and jump out. Feel safe on it, but you wont catch me doing 100+ with them on board how many of you would regardless of boat manufacturer. The bigger the cat at those speeds the safer I would feel.
You got opinions from both corners, do your research and good luck on your boat shopping.
Ok Jordy, go ahead as you always do, yeah I know talk to your friend riverdave that I have never even met. blah blah.
Going back into lurking mode.

Jordy
07-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Ok Jordy, go ahead as you always do, yeah I know talk to your friend riverdave that I have never even met. blah blah.
Go ahead as I always do? I merely suggested that he see about getting it insured as that could be a deciding factor on the boat that he ends up with. You're the one who brought RD into it. ;)

Wmc
07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
This is Mrs. Wmc and I had no problem riding in our HTM. Our 14 yr old son loved it!!! However, we have a lot of family and friends that we like to take to our place in Parker and that is why we are selling the HTM because we bought a new Magic Deckboat, bigger for the family & friends. However, if you are interested here are some pictures of our HTM for sale. $50,000 obo. Call my husband William for more details on the boat 951-532-0265. He can give you more information. This is all I know. Oh and we insured it through Safeco Insurance with no problems...
1997 HTM SR24 512 cubic inch, 250 blower, single 1150 dominator, super chiller, dual hydraulic Ram steering. Turn key.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2683boat-med.gif
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2683htm2.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2683IMG_0394.JPG

JLaughreySS24
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
That used to be Steve Coulombe's boat years ago!! He used to call it his Parrot boat!!