PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

Advantage Adam
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm wondering how stern drive boats are able to throw a rooster tail. The poker run had quite a few boats, obviously with big power, throwing huge tails. Is it the drive itself, or having big horsepower?

WET HULL
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Its the trim being pushing to the edge.

Phat Matt
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I can throw a pretty decent rooster with my twin 496's on the E-ticket. The drives are already pretty high so it really doesn't take that much. If I trim to 4 or 5 on the guage it throws it. 3 is about neutral.

shadow
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm wondering how stern drive boats are able to throw a rooster tail. The poker run had quite a few boats, obviously with big power, throwing huge tails. Is it the drive itself, or having big horsepower?
Remove the lid from your blender the next time you make a Margarita and all your questions should be answered. :rollside:

acatitude
05-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Remove the lid from your blender the next time you make a Margarita and all your questions should be answered. :rollside:
:) :) :) :)

Havasu Cig
05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Surfacing drives such as #6's will throw a big roost. This is what you were seeing at the poker run.

Jrocket
05-01-2006, 08:27 PM
LOL :)

Jordy
05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Its the trim being pushing to the edge.
Depends on the boat, the x-dimension and the drive more than anything though. ;)

Advantage Adam
05-02-2006, 08:47 AM
I can throw a pretty decent rooster with my twin 496's on the E-ticket. The drives are already pretty high so it really doesn't take that much. If I trim to 4 or 5 on the guage it throws it. 3 is about neutral.
Matt,
I saw you running past black meadows on saturday and it looked great. Do you have extension boxes?

Advantage Adam
05-02-2006, 08:49 AM
It all makes sense now :) Thanks for the heads up Darryl

Keith E. Sayre
05-02-2006, 10:39 AM
if the boat is throwing a roost with Bravo style drives, the boat simply has
a real high x dimension and the're trimmed up and the props are starting to
get close to the surface, allowing them to throw the water up. When a
Bravo drive does this it is either starting to cavitate or already is or is real
close.
BUT--Merc 6's and Arnesons etc are designed to already be close to the
water surface and the top half of the prop is actually piercing the surface
of the water allowing it to send huge amounts of water backward. This is
how they are designed to work without losing efficiency.
Keith Sayre
conquest Boats

spectras only
05-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Install two of these for a sizeable roost :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/28086234_2.jpg

Extreme Marine Az
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM
if the boat is throwing a roost with Bravo style drives, the boat simply has
a real high x dimension and the're trimmed up and the props are starting to
get close to the surface, allowing them to throw the water up. When a
Bravo drive does this it is either starting to cavitate or already is or is real
close.
BUT--Merc 6's and Arnesons etc are designed to already be close to the
water surface and the top half of the prop is actually piercing the surface
of the water allowing it to send huge amounts of water backward. This is
how they are designed to work without losing efficiency.
Keith Sayre
conquest Boats
real tight staggers on a V hull will do it also, new 38zr Donzi, 07 Fountain 38 Lightning

Phat Matt
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Matt,
I saw you running past black meadows on saturday and it looked great. Do you have extension boxes?
No. I just trimmed up a bit right before I slowed down to show off before I threw anchor at BML. :D