PDA

View Full Version : towing with a denali

Eliminator 4 Life
06-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Does anyone tow with a denali not the xl. I just wanted to know what size boat you tow and how well does it tow thanks. :D

Beer-30
06-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I towed Beer-30 with my wife's Yukon once. It's an '04 standard Yukon, 5.3, 3.73s, tow package, and auto-ride.
Beer-30 weighs approx 75-7800 and it did real well. I was more than impressed.

victorfb
06-28-2005, 08:51 PM
thats some scary shiot there. wouldnt want to be in front of that when you had to stop suddenly. heres a question for ya. find out how far it takes to stop that thing with the dually, then add another 50'. now would you let your son or daughter stand on that line as you try and stop that same rig with the yukon?
sorry for smart as post, but it just boils my blood to allways here about how someone can tow up the grade no problem with their little viehicles. saying its got a tow package with xxx gears and a chip or turbo or whatever. but nobody seems to worry about stopping power and load leverage. remember we are on the road too folks. and im betting your family is in the vehicle with ya. get a tow vehicle that is rated HIGHER than your towing wieght you will be pulling. dont max out the rated limit or bad things are bound to happen.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I towed Beer-30 with my wife's Yukon once. It's an '04 standard Yukon, 5.3, 3.73s, tow package, and auto-ride.
Beer-30 weighs approx 75-7800 and it did real well. I was more than impressed.
Yea when I first got my boat I had a new yukon with the 5.3 but I wasnt to impressed when I hit the tehacpis (sp) so that is why I was wondering if anyone had the 6.0 all wheel drive bad boy :D

Eliminator 4 Life
06-28-2005, 08:55 PM
thats some scary shiot there. wouldnt want to be in front of that when you had to stop suddenly. heres a question for ya. find out how far it takes to stop that thing with the dually, then add another 50'. now would you let your son or daughter stand on that line as you try and stop that same rig with the yukon?
sorry for smart as post, but it just boils my blood to allways here about how someone can tow up the grade no problem with their little viehicles. saying its got a tow package with xxx gears and a chip or turbo or whatever. but nobody seems to worry about stopping power and load leverage. remember we are on the road too folks. and im betting your family is in the vehicle with ya. get a tow vehicle that is rated HIGHER than your towing wieght you will be pulling. dont max out the rated limit or bad things are bound to happen.
towing weight on the denali is 8200 lbs my boat weighs 5600 with fuel :yuk:

Beer-30
06-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Alot of peeps here on the boards were not happy with the 6L. The problem with the Denali is weight. The extra differential, transfercase, plus going XL equals HEAVY. You would probably be equal to / if not more weight than a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 like everyone else has. Notice that they are not getting the 6L, but going diesel or 8.1L.
You may want to test drive one, hook on the boat, and go up Toll House or something similar. Friends of mine had a 1500HD 2WD crew cab with the 6L and purchased a 27' WeekendWarrior. Without fluids but with 2 quads, it was struggling to get to the coast. After two trips they ended up selling it (it was a year old) and getting a Duramax.
Test before you buy.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Alot of peeps here on the boards were not happy with the 6L. The problem with the Denali is weight. The extra differential, transfercase, plus going XL equals HEAVY. You would probably be equal to / if not more weight than a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 like everyone else has. Notice that they are not getting the 6L, but going diesel or 8.1L.
You may want to test drive one, hook on the boat, and go up Toll House or something similar. Friends of mine had a 1500HD 2WD crew cab with the 6L and purchased a 27' WeekendWarrior. Without fluids but with 2 quads, it was struggling to get to the coast. After two trips they ended up selling it (it was a year old) and getting a Duramax.
Test before you buy.
I dont want the xl just the lil guy and I have a diesel now and it is my second one and Im just tired of the problems but I will go test drive your right. Thanks for the advice. Rob

Beer-30
06-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Like I said, my 295HP 5.3 pulled my 30' real well. I was very impressed. The auto-ride leveled itself, and with the tow/haul switch on, the book explains how the auto suspension stiffens the rear and puts more emphasis on rear handling. Really cool. To be honest, I would pull it all the time with the Yukon, but those little 1/2 ton rear ends are not gonna like that over time. I have towed with 1/2 tons before and they start losing axle seals in short order. Think about it...you put 2 or 3 ice chests in the back and all the other gear that goes with boating. Full tank of fuel (right over the axle). Luggage if you are headed out to Havasu or Mojave, food, tool kit, etc. All of it right over the rear axle. Then, you hook on the tongue weight, and you are putting even more downforce on the axle. 1/2 tons just don't have the capacity to do that time and time again for thousands of miles. Believe me, I have tried and have seen several others try.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433tomom.jpg

mbrown2
06-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I have towed with a 26 Cat with a 6.0 Escalade (small version) and it towed about as good my diesel....; the gas was not as great, but it had pretty good power.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM
I have towed with a 26 Cat with a 6.0 Escalade (small version) and it towed about as good my diesel....; the gas was not as great, but it had pretty good power.
Thanks Mike

vodkarocks
06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I tow a magic deck with a denali and it does fine.