PDA

View Full Version : Fishing On Havi ?

sdpm
06-29-2005, 06:16 AM
Does anyone here fish? I have not fished on havasu. Taking a few neighbor kids and my own and they love to fish. They will be on our 26' Tri Toon "SCHOONER" so we can get to different places. I would love to get them into some strippers. Any help here? Thanks.

uvindex
06-29-2005, 06:20 AM
I would love to get them into some strippers. Any help here? There are plenty of strippers in Havasu -- just get a stripper pole and they'll come a-runnin'! But I don't think those are what you're looking for. :)
If you're looking for stripers (the ones that swim under the water) just Google "striper derby havasu" -- here's one link that looks like it might be useful: http://www.citlink.net/~jimocker/
Tight lines! :)

Freak
06-29-2005, 06:21 AM
LOL..starting the kids young on the strippers. Neighbor's kid's at that. Even better. :supp:

sdpm
06-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Sorry about that!! How about STRIPERS !!

uvindex
06-29-2005, 06:32 AM
This pic is from the site I mentioned. The only thing I've ever fished for on Havasu is loose women, but I know Havasu does have a big "striper derby" every May. The one pictured is from Havasu and it weighed 32 lbs, according to http://www.citlink.net/~jimocker/. Good luck!
http://www.citlink.net/~jimocker/1102b00.jpg

bohica
06-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Use light line, 6lb test max., a small rubber core sinker placed about 2 feet from the hook. Cut anchovies work the best, buy a bunch and make sure to chum the water real good. SHould have no problem hooking up the fish, heard a lot of people are having 100 fish days in Havasu now. Remeber get a fishing license. :D

BarryMac
06-29-2005, 06:39 AM
LOL..starting the kids young on the strippers. Neighbor's kid's at that. Even better. :supp:
Will you be my dad???
sdpm? San Diego Performance Marine??? Neil???

sdpm
06-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys for the info and link. Yes GJB thats me. I am my 2 kids dad and I don't think I could handle any more. :hammerhea

prosthogod
06-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Use light line, 6lb test max., a small rubber core sinker placed about 2 feet from the hook. Cut anchovies work the best, buy a bunch and make sure to chum the water real good. SHould have no problem hooking up the fish, heard a lot of people are having 100 fish days in Havasu now. Remeber get a fishing license. :D
Go to the cove south of the pumping station with the jump rocks in the middle. Start chumming cut up anchovies. Drop your line in and reel them in. I had 4 kids on my boat 4 weeks ago and they pulled in ~80 fish. All released in good health.

Water Romper
06-29-2005, 07:40 AM
I was watching a group of boaters do their thing in Copper Canyon (Pot, Jack Daniels, Beer, Bump-n-Grind dancing, foul mouth, you know, the usual entertaining stuff) Anyway, cops didn’t say a word, then, some poor dude by himself throw’s out a line and faster that you can blink, friggen Arizona Wildlife and Havasu PD was on this poor sap like he committed a homicide…Wrote him a ticket, took all his fishing gear and 100 feet away….the party went on and on…. :eek:

Ion
06-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Striper are the dominant fish here. This time of year can be touch & go, but...the most common spots are around Site 6, between Windsor and Havasu Landing in the riverbed (about 30 ft.) around Sandpoint and around Havasu Springs. Early morning or sunset are the best times. The most frequently used rig is a 1/2 ounce egg slip sinker on top of a swivel, where you have a #2 bait hook on an Eagle Claw leader on 4-6 lb. test. 'Chovies are the bait of choice.
The sunset option can be cool as the day turns into night. If you or your kids haven't seen the reflection of the city lights (or the awesome sunsets) on the water, that alone is worth launching your boat. Obviously, best results will be during the week, when all the congestion is not present.
Here's a site that keeps general tabs on the lake: http://www.anglerguide.com/arizona/index.cfm?TR_ID=483

BigDoug
06-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Very cool of you Don :wink: thanks for the info.. :)

sdpm
06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Again, thanks for all the info. I have a colorado river stamp on my licence. Is this fine for the lake? I went to the AZ Game & Fish and found out info on the kids but nothing about my stamp? Anyone know? We do the catch and release as well. My kids and our yellow lab just love to fish as long as they are catching fish otherwise they get bored real quick.

voodoomedman
06-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Again, thanks for all the info. I have a colorado river stamp on my licence. Is this fine for the lake? I went to the AZ Game & Fish and found out info on the kids but nothing about my stamp? Anyone know? We do the catch and release as well. My kids and our yellow lab just love to fish as long as they are catching fish otherwise they get bored real quick.
Yes a California license is good with a Colorado River Stamp from a floating object or on the Arizona shore. On the California shore you only need a license and no stamp.

sdpm
06-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks Voodoo. Works for me. Have a great 4th everyone and be safe. Neil

voodoomedman
06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks Voodoo. Works for me. Have a great 4th everyone and be safe. Neil
Same to you and leave some fish near the shore for my hook.

rvrhlic
06-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Isn't chumming illegal in CA inland waters??

Big Proppa
06-29-2005, 02:34 PM
The fishing was great last weekend - even in the middle of the day - but the evening bite was friggin really good - I was 2 - 2 pounders for 2 casts, caught 5 total all decent sized in about 1/2 an hour. Really had a blast - plastic purple worm the thin one not the big fat daddy.

bohica
06-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Isn't chumming illegal in CA inland waters??
Not on Colorado River waters and certain other bodies of water like the Salton Sea. :D

voodoomedman
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Not on Colorado River waters and certain other bodies of water like the Salton Sea. :D
Besides, if somebody actually saw me then I was just responsibly getting rid of the head and tail and stuff in the water where the fish would eat it rather than leaving a big ole mess all over the place on land.

Wicky
06-29-2005, 06:51 PM
A California license or an Arizona license???

77charger
06-29-2005, 07:04 PM
either as long as you get the colorado river stamp.

voodoomedman
06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Once again for the colorado river between Arizona and California you need either states license plus a colorado river stamp to fish from a boat on the water or from the other states shore. If you are on the shore of the state you have the license then you don't need a stamp. The cheapest route to go is to get whichever of the two states you are a resident.