PDA

View Full Version : Laser Boats?

Southwest47
06-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Im a boating rookie!! Im shopping for my first boat, and like the 2005 Laser 23' Apex model, mostly beacuse it's features and size are within my budget of $40-50. I was wonder if anybody had any pros and/or cons about this particular boat. Also, I was wonder if this hull design is good for Havasu conditions? The salesman told me the name of the hull, but it escapes me. It was a step/V combination, if I remember correctly. Any advise, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

essexjet
06-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Im a boating rookie!! Im shopping for my first boat, and like the 2005 Laser 23' Apex model, mostly beacuse it's features and size are within my budget of $40-50. I was wonder if anybody had any pros and/or cons about this particular boat. Also, I was wonder if this hull design is good for Havasu conditions? The salesman told me the name of the hull, but it escapes me. It was a step/V combination, if I remember correctly. Any advise, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.
Laser's are made and owned by Essex. From what I've heard nice boat for the money. They keep there price's down due to a limitied options thing but a good hull.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I have heard the same thing. Essex hull and good for the $$$. That hull will do fine on Havasu. You'll get a little beat on rough days, but it won't be scary.

Sane Asylum
06-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I have heard the same thing. Essex hull and good for the $$$. That hull will do fine on Havasu. You'll get a little beat on rough days, but it won't be scary.
That's kinda like "For a Fat Lady you don't sweat much" ???? :sqeyes: :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-29-2005, 07:34 PM
No it's not!! It's more like:
That's a good deal if you don't mind giving up the expensive foo-foo stuff and you won't have to worry about the safety of your kids. . . unless some drunk on a PWC decides to turn in front of you for no apparant reason without looking over his shoulder, or other uncontrollable situations.

cc322
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Personally I would loook elsewhere. I had a bad experience with Laser when they first started the company. Dont see alot of them at the lake so not sure about resale value.

voodoomedman
06-29-2005, 08:43 PM
For 40-50 grand I'm sure you could find better for the money. Just my two cents though. Yes it is owned by Essex but they are not the same design as Essex. But they are built strong like the Essex. I know prices on boats get more and more expensive each year but I personally wouldn't want to spend 40-50k on a boat and not get everything with it. Maybe it doesn't need all kinds of bling but when you start adding a bimini top and a spare wheel and a stereo etc. Your price will come closer to what you could of got somewhere else for the same or cheaper and have a little more bling factor. Not saying it would be stupid to buy a laser just saying keep your options open and keep looking til you find everything your looking for at a price you can afford. It would suck to spend that much money and not be happy. Lots of guys on here do that. I made sure I got everything I wanted the first time and will probably only buy a new boat way down the line just because you get the itch for a new one after many many years.

liquidasset
06-29-2005, 09:35 PM
I would personally keep looking. Price shouldn't be the only factor in buying a new boat. Laser was created for the people that couldn't quite afford the essex :idea: What are they really leaving out. Some companies will try anything to get more sales.

pixilatedpussy
06-29-2005, 09:45 PM
We looked into them...I thought they were niced for the price...then I found my Cheetah! 50K and love it!

BADASS38CHEVY
06-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Go for a Cheetah.

Southwest47
06-29-2005, 11:15 PM
No it's not!! It's more like:
That's a good deal if you don't mind giving up the expensive foo-foo stuff and you won't have to worry about the safety of your kids. . . unless some drunk on a PWC decides to turn in front of you for no apparant reason without looking over his shoulder, or other uncontrollable situations.
Safety of my kids? What does that mean? Should I be worried about the safety of my kids in a Laser?

Havasu bound
06-30-2005, 04:27 AM
We bought a 25ft Laser Fury boat last April. We love our boat. Rides great on Lake Havasu. Laser's workmanship comes up a little short for the money, but the hull and rigging are sound. I have only had a couple of minor problems so far that can wait until the end of the year to get fixed. So far, We would buy another one if we had to. Good luck on your boat hunting. :)

dicudmore
06-30-2005, 06:04 AM
Safety of my kids? What does that mean? Should I be worried about the safety of my kids in a Laser?
not at all... she was saying that it is a solid boat, just a little shy of the goodies on a more expensive boat. And, a little short for the havasu afternoon water, so you'll bounce around a bit :wink:

dicudmore
06-30-2005, 06:20 AM
We looked into them...I thought they were niced for the price...then I found my Cheetah! 50K and love it!
Go for a Cheetah.
Obviously I'm biased (as seen by my signature below) but I don't think it could hurt to check them out. Cheetah web-site (http://www.cheetahboatmfg.com)
You may also think about Stealth (Desert Thunder Marine)
They have a nice 25' that starts around 40K check here (http://www.dtmb.biz/)
Couldn't hurt to check out domn8er boats also. They have a 23' V and I'm pretty sure they will have a 25' and 28' V but they are not listed on the web-site. link (http://www.domn8er.com/vbottom.html)

riverrunner
06-30-2005, 06:27 AM
I searched for a long time before buying used, because I dodn't want to spend as much as it would take to get the boat I wanted. If price is that important to you look used. Don't settle just because of price. Try some of the better names. You might find a good quality used boat for less than the Laser.

Sleek-Jet
06-30-2005, 06:28 AM
I would personally keep looking. Price shouldn't be the only factor in buying a new boat. Laser was created for the people that couldn't quite afford the essex :idea: What are they really leaving out. Some companies will try anything to get more sales.
WTF is this supposed to mean??? Not all on here have a bottomless barrel of money. Cost is a major consideration when buying anything.
I've been on these boards for a while now, and have never heard of Lasers having any structural problems. Maybe not the best customer service, but there are some bigger name boat builders that arean't any better.
I know it's hard for some on here to fathom, but people have been going to the lake for years and having a good time without billet hardware and 4000 gigiwatt stereo's and 34 color "custom" gel coat...
I say go ride around in a couple different boats in your price range, maybe even look at a couple used ones. Drive them, perferably in the afternoon when it's a little choppy on the lakes, and see what you like best. Have fun looking at boats... it's supposed to be enjoyable. :D

Havasu_Dreamin
06-30-2005, 07:14 AM
So Essex is to be blamed for starting a more entry level boat line?
Laser is a fine entry level boat. We've had two Essex boats and have loved them both and been 100% compltetly satisfied. I would buy another Essex in a heartbeat.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
06-30-2005, 07:22 AM
I have a 22' Laser Vision. It is my first boat and i bought it used. It has everything I need on it. It's got a great gel coat, bimini, stereo, the interior is flawless, a 350 mag, less than 100 hours when i bought it, and was $30k.
Hot Boat Mag wrote that the Laser is to Essex what the Camry is to Lexus. Yeah, that hurt a little. But its still a good boat. What does an Essex have that I don't? Don't know really. Maybe a little more fiberglass in the hull.
I like the boat and if you like them, and can get one, then do it.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-30-2005, 07:24 AM
I like the boat and if you like them, and can get one, then do it.
And ultimately, that is all that matters.

Dribble
06-30-2005, 07:33 AM
I say go ride around in a couple different boats in your price range, maybe even look at a couple used ones. Drive them, perferably in the afternoon when it's a little choppy on the lakes, and see what you like best. Have fun looking at boats... it's supposed to be enjoyable. :D
Thats the best advice anyone could give you. I would defininately look at the Dana 23', which I believe is a over 50K now, but has a full 23' running surface like the Laser.

Essexive G's
06-30-2005, 08:05 AM
From what I understand the laser interior is made in the same shop as the Essex using the same materials. Rigging is pretty much the same with the exception of the guages. Essex uses Gaffrig/Livorsi gauges and Laser uses Faria gauges. Cup holders, grab handles are the same. The Essex has pop up cleats. The laser has pull up cleats.
I know on the Essex all of the plywood is resin coated and The seat bottoms are pvc sheeting. I did not look that close to the laser as I never considered buying one. I thought I was told that the Essex uses 3/4" marine plywood and the laser uses 5/8".
The major difference is the hull. The hull on the laser is thinner. The hull on the Essex is " bulletproof ". I used exclamation points on the bulletproof because thats what we were told and shown.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
06-30-2005, 08:14 AM
The Essex has pop up cleats. The laser has pull up cleats.
My only gripe about the boat are the cleats. the pull-up mushroom cleats suck. I have had a slipknot cinch up in the cleat and it can be a bitch to get undone.

Havasu bound
06-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Our 2005 25ft Laser Fury has pop up cleats. All of the interior was measured and manufactured down at Essex. Everything was installed down at Laser. Laser and Essex buildings are only about 1/2 block apart. Go check both out. They will take you through the shops. According to Laser, the Essex and Laser boasts weight the same amount. :smile:
I also looked into the 25ft Stealth, very cheap and weights about 700 pounds lighter. Does this mean the hull and plywood are thinner? :yuk:
Good Luck.

Essexive G's
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
According to Laser, the Essex and Laser boasts weight the same amount. :smile:
I also looked into the 25ft Stealth, very cheap and weights about 700 pounds lighter. Does this mean the hull and plywood are thinner? :yuk:
Good Luck.
The 25 Laser and Essex weight the same @ 4400 lbs.
The 23 Lasers weight is 3500 lbs. The 23 Essex is 4100 lbs. :confused:

Sleek-Jet
06-30-2005, 09:28 AM
The 25 Laser and Essex weight the same @ 4400 lbs.
The 23 Lasers weight is 3500 lbs. The 23 Essex is 4100 lbs. :confused:
Are they rigged the same??? Or, is that an empty hull weight??
A small block and alpha are going to weigh less than a big block and bravo.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Laser and Essex are rigged by the same guys. The upholstery are both done in-house by the same guys as well. The main differences between Laser and Essex is that the Essex hullis are thicker, therefore heavier, and the Essex comes with more standard features and available options.

Mrs.HLB1
06-30-2005, 11:16 AM
I recommend checking out Genesis, they are in Riverside. We bought their 23ft and love it! I don't know what their prices are now. But I would call them and talk with Rudy. There customer service is awesome! Pm me if you need more details..
Mrs. HLB

Essexive G's
06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Laser and Essex are rigged by the same guys. The upholstery are both done in-house by the same guys as well. The main differences between Laser and Essex is that the Essex hullis are thicker, therefore heavier, and the Essex comes with more standard features and available options.
H.H. do you remember the name of that green sheeting that essex uses on the hull. I think they called it plagasill (sp) or something like that. At the time I bought mine they said they did not use it on the laser.

voodoomedman
06-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Basically what somebody already said. Look at a few you like and test drive them and then buy what you like in your price range. Take the comments on here (even my earlier post) for what they are worth. They are mostly opinions. The big thing you will notice on that laser is not quality but but the amount of options that come standard. Do a search on here and you will get more opinions. The biggest thing I would look at in comments from this place is people having problems with their manufacturers. Sure I think Ultra one of the better builders out there but I also bought it because the guys take care of you and if you have an issue they fix it and they have integrity. It's pretty much consensus that Eliminator builds a fine boat but it's kinda like your just another number.

bordsmnj
06-30-2005, 03:18 PM
i'd take that money over too ultra(in cash,money talks)and see what you could get. kickass boat,great resale and they got your back. Lavey's 21 is another worth taking a serious look at. alotta boat for a 21(actually 23)

Essex502
06-30-2005, 04:26 PM
We don't have our Essex any more but would buy another in a heartbeat if they had a performance model like we chose for our current boat. There hull is stout. We were hammered on Mead, Mohave and Havasu and there was no complaint from the hull. not one creak or rattle.
We also had perfect customer service after the sale. A couple of little problems that cropped up were fixed promptly without any drama or hassle. I'd highly recommend them. Those poster on this or any other board that may have had a problem with the sales people - well there are two sides to every story and I've heard both sides.
Take a look for yourself including a test ride.

Beer-30
06-30-2005, 04:53 PM
There are a lot of good used deals out there. I was looking in your range also. Decided I could go more boat for the same money. Found mine (pictured) in January this year. My first boat also! 2001 30 footer with 165 hours. Still shows as new and I paid $54K. :D

Chubby4Life
06-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Hey Southwest, I don't want to deter you from a New boat, (everyone knows about that delivery day excitement). But you may want to look into a newer used 2k-2k4. These boats are alot cheaper than new and usually in decent shape. As a "rookie" your going to make mistakes, I did, and still do. But speaking from past rookie mistakes it was alot easier to stomach the scrapes, rubs, dings, and "leaving your outdrive's fingerprint on the launch ramp" in a boat I didn't drop 50 grand on. These things will still make you cringe but think, they'll only sting 25,000 times not 50.

GBLASER
06-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Obviously I'm partial to the laser. I looked at all of the boat mfg's before buying the 22' laser. My major reason for going with the laser was that it was a new hull and not a splash of one that had been around for number of years. I think it is a really big deal that Essex backs them up. they've been around for a long time (continuously). Their customer service has been fantastic with no questions asked and they have always gone a bit further than they had to. I think that bottom line is, find one that you like and if it is made by a reputable mfg. then you really can't go too wrong. PS. mine rides way better then my buddies 21 cobra in rough water.(but we still get beat up a bit)
just my .02