PDA

View Full Version : Somthing I never thought about..

rstover1
08-01-2001, 12:27 AM
When I bought my newest used boat a condor tx-19 great boat I love it but not the point. The guy I bought it from owns hi-tech performance in Kansas he is very knowledgeable when it comes to jets. Anyway he told me that any time he tows a boat that he covers the intake with duct tape on his own boats he builds a plate on the trailer to protect the pump from gravel dust rocks etc. when in tow I thougt about this and it makes sence when you think about it just look at the front of your trailer axal from all the debri hitting it! Just wondering what you guys thought. If even just a small percentage of that dirt and debri make it into the pump imagine how hard it is on first start up even in the water.I'm not even gonna think about dry starts which I never do anyway.

gstark
08-01-2001, 04:45 AM
This was the first bit of advice I got from Jack McClure of MPD when he did my 12JC in my old Glencoe. I fab'd a retractable plate welded to the trailer which worked slick.
All the work and effort to gain effeciency from the pump and then many of us trailer 2-300 miles picking up grit (silicone carbide) and other junk in the intake. This stuff then passes thru the pump that we have spent time and $ to work up.
I have yet to do this for my new boat (Caliber1 230 Velocity), but its on my list of things to do. With a setback pump, this fab job should be easier.

Blown509Liberator
08-01-2001, 05:16 AM
What gstark said!
I agree.
MikeW

wrightnow
08-01-2001, 07:30 AM
Boy I never thought about makeing a plate to cover the intake, but it's a great idea.
I have work with PMD also and was told to never dry start with the pump connected, very bad.
I always rinse the pump with a hose after towing from storage. Two seasons later and the pump is still tight (no RPM gain).

Eric
08-01-2001, 09:19 AM
Another recommendation from Jack...
Flush out the pump when launching the boat after towing.
1) Back the boat in at the ramp and let the pump fill with water.
2) Pull the boat back out enough to let the water drain out of the pump.
3) Back in again and launch the boat.
Eric

Bad Ass Flat
08-01-2001, 02:35 PM
I would do all of this but I have a V-drive and I dont have to

Bubbledeck2
08-01-2001, 08:12 PM
not having to worry about whacking your prop or tearing your rudder off does have it's price heh

michiganjet
08-02-2001, 05:13 AM
hello everyone, brand new to jet boating. just wanted to say that i also bought a boat from duane at hitechperformance (1976 sanger) and he told me that very same thing. ive gotten lots of help from him about jets (absolutely clueless about them a month ago). did u buy that white/burgundy blown tx he had at hitech.?

rstover1
08-02-2001, 09:15 AM
No I bought the red one I was scared of someone elses blown boat didn't know how hard it had been ran ya know.

HBjet
08-02-2001, 10:29 AM
rstover, I have a cover for my pump intake, but I made mine out of canvas and had 2 small bungee cords sewed in it (accross the front and rear of the cover) I then put 4 eye hooks on the inside trailer bunks. I placed 2 in front and 2 in back if the intake. All you have to do is hook up the bungee's (bungee's should be hooked accross the bunks)and your cover sits nice and snug covering the intake. I leave mine on all the time and since the bungee's stretch it forms to the bottom of your hull. If you drive your jet boat on/off the trailer, removal is easy, just a couple of hooks.
I just copied my post from the "Tow Cover Poll" topic in Hot Boats Hot Spots.
Good Luck!
HBjet http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy19.gif