PDA

View Full Version : This is the one that got away!

MagicMtnDan
06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Fish whopper: 646 pounds a freshwater record
Researchers cite Thai catch to stress extinction dangers
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050629/050629_catfish_hmed_9a.hmedium.jpg
Thai fishermen netted a catfish as big as a grizzly bear, setting a world record for the largest freshwater fish ever found, according to researchers who studied the 646-pound Mekong giant catfish as part of a project to protect large freshwater fish.
“It’s amazing to think that giants like this still swim in some of the world’s rivers,” project leader Zeb Hogan project leader said in a statement. “We’ve now confirmed now that this catfish is the current record holder, an astonishing find.”
“I’m thrilled that we’ve set a new record, but we need to put this discovery in context: these giant fish are uniformly poorly studied and some are critically endangered," added Hogan, a fellow with the World Wildlife Fund, which is partnering with the National Geographic Society. "Some, like the Mekong giant catfish, face extinction.”

Keithb87
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
I'e heard stories of catfish like that at the bottom of lakes. the lake I grew up at in Kansas had a story about divers looking for something by the dam and one saw one as big as a VW Bug.... That's amazing

CandyA$$
06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Ok stay out of the water where they found this.
Damn how the hell they get sooo big

bunny 166
06-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Are you sure they didn't catch that at Katherine's landing??....... :D

Huckleberry
06-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Are you sure they didn't catch that at Katherine's landing??....... :D
No, those are carp, and those are only around 500 punds!!! Eating popcorn your entire life will do that for ya!

Lake Ape
06-30-2005, 04:17 PM
when I was a kid my dad used to take us mushroom hunting (like these http://morelmushroomhunting.com/index.gif ) and we used to stop at this little bar in Oqwaka, IL, its right by LOCK and Damn #18. Jacques Custo and his life long buddy Pepe' were there drinking and telling stories. Jacques was suppose to be diving on the mighty miss. by the damn but after one day of diving he called it over since he cleared his mask and looked right into the mouth of a giant catfish. The story is in one of his books. Jacques said the fish could have easily eaten him and said "the hell with that I ain't gettin' eaten by no damn mud fish!"

alfonzo
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I'e heard stories of catfish like that at the bottom of lakes. the lake I grew up at in Kansas had a story about divers looking for something by the dam and one saw one as big as a VW Bug.... That's amazing
I heard the same story about Castaic lake.