PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

mzouman
06-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Quick backstory: A couple of years ago my wife and I flew out to Vegas for the week of the 4th to visit her brother. One of the side trips we took was down to Havasu for a saturday and we were both in love with the classic jet boats down there. Neither one of us had seen anything like them, growing up a stones throw from lake of the ozarks. Since then I had pretty much forgotten about those boats until last week when at wal-mart I picked up an issue of ***boat magazine. I instantly decided that I NEED one of those boats. The next day I was on Ebay and two days later. This past monday actually, I was picking up the boat.
Anyway, It is my first boat ever. So what I know is very limited. It is a 1976 21ft sleekcraft, powered by a 460 ford, with water cooled through-hull exhaust. The guy I bought it from said that the steering cable is broken and I'm not sure what type of jet drive it has. The boat has been sitting in a barn for about 3 years. Do you have any advice on what type of things I need to service or check prior to running the boat? Is there any easy way to find out what type of jet drive the boat has? and finally Are there any online stores to order steering cables/systems from? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Taylorman
06-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Go to www.hi-techperformance.com. Talk to Duane. He will fix you up with anything you need.

Jetmugg
06-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Where are you located now? I judge by your username that you are probably still in MO. Where do you plan to run the boat? Although LOTO can get much too rough form most jetboats, the Osage river is one of my favorite destinations.
Many of the cables and such are "generic" marine parts available at places like BassPro, West Marine, etc. Other parts are more Jetboat specific, and places like Rex Marine, CP Performance, Eddie Marine can usually help with those. There are also many smaller shops across the country that are more jetboat specific who provide great service and knowledge.
How about posting some pics of your new rig?
SteveM.

mzouman
06-30-2005, 09:10 AM
will do thanks

mzouman
06-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Jetmugg, I'm currently in Jefferson City. I was planning on running on the Mo and Osage. I'm about 3 minutes from the river access at the missouri river bridge. Thanks for the info. and I'll definately post pics as soon as I get a chance. Is there anything I can do to check the jet drive and make sure its working properly before heading out onto the water?

kp216
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Mzouman - I'm up in Moberly, so I'm not too far from you. I might be able to make a trip down there to see what you got or maybe you could haul it up here.
If the boat is not far away from running and driveable, the Tablerock Roost is coming up the weekend of July 15 - 17 at Eagle Rock and there will be a ton of knowledge there.
By the way... It's good to see another guy from MissourAH on here!
Kevin

Jetmugg
06-30-2005, 10:03 AM
If it was mine, and had been sitting for a while, I'd take it down to the Mari-Osa access, back the boat and trailer in the water, but wouldn't shove the boat off. Fire it up, check for leaks, etc, and put the drive in reverse.
Back the boat off the trailer, and head UP the river. If there is ever a question about the reliability of the boat, never go DOWN the river. If it breaks, you can always float back down the river to the boat ramp. If it breaks and you have gone down the river, you'll have a tough time getting back.
My 2 cents.
SteveM. - Maybe I'll see you on the Osage this summer.

afi823
06-30-2005, 02:38 PM
check it out on the trailor and see if antying isnt right. most likely some of the hoses will need replacing, jsut give it a good look through, or even drop it off at a mechanic and tell them to do an inspection on it, nothing like havin a broke ass boat floatin.... like mine the first two times i took it out!!! :D :D :D

Cas
06-30-2005, 04:57 PM
sitting for 3 years?
first thing on my list is I'm disconnecting the pump from the engine to see if the pump turns freely. If it's not, open it up to see what's preventing it from doing so.
While the pump is disconnected, the engine is getting an oil change, a tune up including taking the carb apart for at least a cleaning. The engine is then going to get a good oil priming before it even attempting to turn it over. I would even consider pulling the intake off to take a looksy to make sure there isn't any rust on the cam.
All new water and fuel lines, new plug wires and make sure all the electrical connections are clean and good. Make sure all the gauges work properly.
Yea, it might seem like a lot of work but it's a whole lot less then if you run and blow something.

atxwrangler
06-30-2005, 05:59 PM
I AGREE WITH CAS, RELIABILITY IS THE KEY TO A GOOD JETBOAT EXPERIENCE, THIS WILL ASSURE YOU STAY HOOKED ON JETS! :hammer2:

Cas
06-30-2005, 06:02 PM
oh yea, I'd also put a water seperator/filter in it along with making wure the gas tanks are clean.

mzouman
07-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. My brother had actually stopped by yesterday by the time I got to work and had checked/changed the oil. And charged up the battery. I forgot to mention that prior to me picking up the boat the previous owner had taken it to the lake for the weekend. We took it to the river and backed it down into the water to start it up. Fired up right away and the motor appears to be running well. There was a rapid accumulation of water in the engine compartment though. It is spraying out of the housing located where your transmission would typically hook up (sorry don't know what it's called) is there a drain plug thats supposed to fit in there somewhere? Anyway, now other leaks that we could find and he's taking to the mechanic later today.

mzouman
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Bell housing that's where I think it's coming from? Sound like a seal?

Lightning
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. My brother had actually stopped by yesterday by the time I got to work and had checked/changed the oil. And charged up the battery. I forgot to mention that prior to me picking up the boat the previous owner had taken it to the lake for the weekend. We took it to the river and backed it down into the water to start it up. Fired up right away and the motor appears to be running well. There was a rapid accumulation of water in the engine compartment though. It is spraying out of the housing located where your transmission would typically hook up (sorry don't know what it's called) is there a drain plug thats supposed to fit in there somewhere? Anyway, now other leaks that we could find and he's taking to the mechanic later today.
I think that leak may be where your drain plugs should go. Boat safe this weekend. :boxed:

Jetmugg
07-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Could the water be coming from the shaft seal on the jet drive? That's a possibility. The packing is compressed by a ring that has 2 studs holding it in place. There should be a very slight drip when it is adjusted properly. If water is running in, something is wrong.
SteveM.

mzouman
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM
okay, I know that there is a drain plug in the transom. I wasn't sure if there was one in the bell housing. I have to take a closer look and see if I can find one to fit. Thanks.

mzouman
07-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Will check that too. Thanks Steve.

Jetmugg
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
There is no drain plug in the bellhousing. There are drain plugs on the sides of the engine block. If water is coming out the back of the engine block, it is most likely a freeze plug problem.
Good luck and keep us posted.
SteveM

Oldsquirt
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
To add to what Jetmugg said, don't confuse water from the bilge that is being splashed around by the flywheel spinning inside the bellhousing for water leaking out of the bellhousing area.

Mighty Thor
07-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Bell housing that's where I think it's coming from? Sound like a seal?
Actually it sounds more like a softplug, but do you mean it is comming out of the bellhousing or just near it. Could also be a drain for the exhaust depending on the system you have.