PDA

View Full Version : Help with BBQing ribs

uvindex
06-30-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a confession: I have a giant BBQ and I've been grilling burgers, steaks, chicken, and fish for years but I've never cooked ribs and I don't know how. I picked up some baby back ribs today at Costco and was planning to grill them tomorrow for the wife and me.
I'm hoping to end up with "falls off the bone" ribs (and spicy is good too). I've heard people steam them or boil them before grilling??
Recipes, hints, and tips would be appreciated! :)

Jbb
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Cook slowly over low heat....and use Kinders BBQ sauce!!!
One of the people I work with makes great ones ...he takes water mixed with vinegar and constantly sprinkles the meat with it....they turn out great

Mardonzi
06-30-2005, 11:47 AM
soak them in a beer and bbq sauce mix for a day, then simmer them for about 4 hours in the same mix. Then grill them up. That's how we do it...

28Prowler525
06-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a confession: I have a giant BBQ and I've been grilling burgers, steaks, chicken, and fish for years but I've never cooked ribs and I don't know how. I picked up some baby back ribs today at Costco and was planning to grill them tomorrow for the wife and me.
I'm hoping to end up with "falls off the bone" ribs (and spicy is good too). I've heard people steam them or boil them before grilling??
Recipes, hints, and tips would be appreciated! :)
apply whatever you want to them (rub, sauce...)
wrap them in tin foil loosely (make sure they are sealed but loose because of the grease
Put them in the oven on a cookie sheet with a lip around the edge (again grease)
cook them in the oven for minimum 5.5 hours and max 7 hours @ 200 degrees.
Put them on the BBQ just to crisp up each side (couple minutes)
You can brush more sauce on them when they are on the BBQ or sprinkle rub...
The foil will be full of grease be careful.
The oven is the most important part. The meat will not be able to stay on the bones.
If you cook them to long in the oven you WILL NOT be able to keep the bones in and that makes them a pain in the ass to BBQ

Coach
06-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Salt and wrap in foil and put them in the oven at 325 for about 1 hour or until they are cooked. You can then transfer to the BBQ and baste them with your favoite BBQ sauce or you can put them in the frige and finish cooking them later. Just don't put raw ribs directly on the BBQ. You want to make sure they are cooked before grilling or you will just burn the outside. You can also boil them but I have never done it that way. Boiling them in Beer and BBQ sauces sounds like a great idea, I will need to try that one out here this weekend.

lucky
06-30-2005, 11:55 AM
invite pla pla over - he's got ya covered - he can even bring his homie french to take care of the dogs for ya :jawdrop: :D j/k
what is important is to take the silver skin off the back of any ribs as it makes them chewy alot of people take them and boil them - but to me that takes the flavor away cook me low and long

Sleek-Jet
Is it me, or is beer one of the greatest cooking ingredients known to man??? :D

BIGAMIST
Boil for 30 minutes, put bbq sauce on em & put em on the grill for 5 minutes.

28Prowler525
06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
If you want them on the BBQ the whole time then use the same method I posted above only substitute the BBQ for the OVEN

Mardonzi
06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Is it me, or is beer one of the greatest cooking ingredients known to man??? :D
I think that there is a consensus on that issue......

JB in so cal
06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
on a large tray (cookie sheet size only with an edge to contain juice) lay out the ribs. Pour a beer (stronger, the better) over the ribs. Sprinkly minced garlic, seasoning (don't matter) and chopped onions. Cover with foil. Bake for about 3 hours at 275 degrees. Throw on grill with boat loads of favorite sauce for about 1/2 hour, turning and saucing regularly - just to get that grilled look and flavor.
Tadaaaaaaaa :D

AZKC
06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Low heat around 220-230 and turn often. Keep lid closed. Till done.

Mandelon
06-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Weboil em in salty water for 10 to 15 minutes, bbq, baste and bbq some more...on low heat of course.
This is making me hungry. :D

Sleek-Jet
06-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Low heat around 220-230 and turn often. Keep lid closed. Till done.
Explain that one to me chief... :D

hoolign
06-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Weboil em in salty water for 10 to 15 minutes, bbq, baste and bbq some more...on low heat of course.
This is making me hungry. :D
Web oil??? The internet has gotten way out of control!!
:D

al cole'holic
06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
We likes to boil em up in orange soda, and bury em in a doctored up bbq sauce in the fridge over night in one of them giant Tupperware bowls. Then grill them for a short period... :D

Jbb
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Web oil??? The internet has gotten way out of control!!
:D
There goes Hooli again...sounding all.....Galloping Gourmet......and shit... :D

totenhosen
06-30-2005, 12:26 PM
To me personally you guys are doing them all wrong. Go get yourself a Webers guide to BBQ book. It has tons of receipes and will tell you the right way to cook up ribs, chicken, steaks veggies etc.
I make my own sauce and my own rub for two kinds of rubs. (Surprisingly easy and after awhile you can fine tune the taste.) The one with the rub I never put sauce on and the one with the sauce you shouldn't put the sauce on until the last 20 minutes or so of cooking. Never cook directly over the fire always use the indirect method of grilling.

C-2
06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
The baby backs at Costco are great ribs.
Remove the membrane on the back of the ribs (yes, use pliers)
Use a rub if you like them spiced (see below), otherwise, garlic powder (not garlic salt), salt/pepper is all you need.
If you have a top warming rack (the smal one to keep buns warm etc.), cook them on it.
Low heat for about 2-3 hours
About every 15 minutes, keep them moist with a squirt of apple juice.
Only add BBQ sauce in the last ten minutes or so
The secret to god ribs is cooking them painfully slow; keeping them moist, and most importantly, keep them out of the fire/flareups.
Come on, would you boil a steak?
Now if you're gonna smoke them, it's a little different.
This is a great rib rub:
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Non-Iodized Table Salt
½ Cup Brown Sugar (Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie sheet room temp. several hours, or slightly warmed
5 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
4 Teaspoons MSG (Accent)
4 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
4 Teaspoons Black Pepper freshly ground (important)
4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
4 Teaspoons Onion Powder
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132ribs.jpg

91nordic29
06-30-2005, 12:41 PM
soak them in a beer and bbq sauce mix for a day, then simmer them for about 4 hours in the same mix. Then grill them up. That's how we do it...
a good overnight soak in 7 - up is better :p
then grill on low in the liquid (adding cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper) for 4 hours. when finished, coat with your favorite bbq sauce (i have a recipe for that, too. lol) and grill til desired crispiness. :cool:

jackpunx
06-30-2005, 12:44 PM
how do you know when they are done?

CandyA$$
06-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Are those racks the meat is in?
Where do you get those?

BADASS38CHEVY
06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Boil ribs with lots of garlic and seasoning.do not cook all the way.then use any store brand bbq sauce and 2 cans of el pato sauce with more seasoning.then put on the grill till cooked.These are the BOMB.

All IN
06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Boil the ribs in beer and water for 30 minutes. Then put them on the grill with indirect heat. (Ribs not over heat).
They will come out tender as could be.

clownpuncher
You guys are killin me here. Boil your ribs?
Don't get me started.

Essex29
when the meat is fallin off the bone :rollside:

Essex29
06-30-2005, 12:58 PM
We likes to boil em up in orange soda, and bury em in a doctored up bbq sauce in the fridge over night in one of them giant Tupperware bowls. Then grill them for a short period... :D
Come on Chris! That is the mother of all bbq'ing sins :supp:

totenhosen
06-30-2005, 12:58 PM
The baby backs at Costco are great ribs.
Remove the membrane on the back of the ribs (yes, use pliers)
Use a rub if you like them spiced (see below), otherwise, garlic powder (not garlic salt), salt/pepper is all you need.
If you have a top warming rack (the smal one to keep buns warm etc.), cook them on it.
Low heat for about 2-3 hours
About every 15 minutes, keep them moist with a squirt of apple juice.
Only add BBQ sauce in the last ten minutes or so
The secret to god ribs is cooking them painfully slow; keeping them moist, and most importantly, keep them out of the fire/flareups.
Come on, would you boil a steak?
Now if you're gonna smoke them, it's a little different.
This is a great rib rub:
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Non-Iodized Table Salt
½ Cup Brown Sugar (Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie sheet room temp. several hours, or slightly warmed
5 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
4 Teaspoons MSG (Accent)
4 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
4 Teaspoons Black Pepper freshly ground (important)
4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
4 Teaspoons Onion Powder
This guy right here is the only one that makes sense when it comes to good BBQ.

CandyA$$
06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah your right, I copied this one down. I am going to try this.
Damn your making me hungry, got to go to the store and buy ribs.

CandyA$$
06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey are you using pork or beef ribs?

totenhosen
06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
use a pair of tongs, grab one end and hold the ribs the long way. It should basically break off the bone if you cook them right.

uvindex
06-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great posts! I can see there are some serious rib guys on here. I have to "digest" all these ideas to figure out exactly how I'm gonna cook these bad boys. Thanks again! :) I'll report back with my results.

RexRathburn
06-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Ahhh...I see you use rib racks. That's how we do it and they come out great!
CandyA$$ you can get rib racks in the BBQ section of Home Depot (that's where I got mine).

totenhosen
06-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Ahhh...I see you use rib racks. That's how we do it and they come out great!
CandyA$$ you can get rib racks in the BBQ section of Home Depot (that's where I got mine).
BBQ's Galore has got some nice stuff as well. It wouldn't surprise me if Target had some rib racks this tome of year as well.
And this is the book that all of you rookies need to learn from:
http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/c/00/c0/ec/41_8.JPG

al cole'holic
06-30-2005, 01:10 PM
...hey, nobody said Italians are good at bbq but the orange soda is what we's know... :rollside:

CandyA$$
06-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks I am going shopping this weekend for them. Cookin ribs this weekend too.

oldbuck40
06-30-2005, 01:18 PM
To me personally you guys are doing them all wrong. Go get yourself a Webers guide to BBQ book. It has tons of receipes and will tell you the right way to cook up ribs, chicken, steaks veggies etc.
I make my own sauce and my own rub for two kinds of rubs. (Surprisingly easy and after awhile you can fine tune the taste.) The one with the rub I never put sauce on and the one with the sauce you shouldn't put the sauce on until the last 20 minutes or so of cooking. Never cook directly over the fire always use the indirect method of grilling.totenhosen,you are the only one on here that has come damn close and made sense! first of all what kinda grill? gas/wood,or charcoal! i do mine on a wood burning grill/smoker, a little Adam's steak seasoning, lemon pepper,worchestor sauce? however you spell that! and sprinkle with ground parsley, cook indirect heat for 5 to 6 hrs and wait till the meat shrinks up and there is about a quarter inch to half inch of bone sticking out they will be done! totenhosen is right about the bbq sauce wait till the last half hour or so before applying because the sugar that is in the sauce will burn...

totenhosen
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
So how did the bbq go?

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
we in the norcal.......wrapped them in alum foil with lots of jack daniels and a slpash of steel reserve and cook dem in the microwave for 30 minutes on medium "popcorn setting" den we also watch the sparks from the foil through the window while it grills to perfection........

BOBALOO
07-06-2005, 04:31 PM
We dont boil them but use a pressure cooker and you are lucky to get them out in 1 piece. the liquid is whatever you want to flavor them with.
Clownpuncher, spill the beans, we might need some help without you having to give us all 11 herbs and spices you use. How about just 10... :D

uvindex
07-06-2005, 04:36 PM
So how did the bbq go?Thanks for asking!
Well I ended up kind of combining the recommendations so thoughtfully provided by 28Prowler525 and C-2 above. (Thanks again for the help and advice!)
The tip about using pliers to remove the membrane was great (that stuff would be impossible to remove by hand.) I used C-2's rub recipe, with a few little modifications. I poured a beer over the ribs. I baked them in foil in the oven, like 28Prowler525 recommended, for about six hours. I then grilled them for about 20 minutes, adding BBQ sauce at that time.
They turned out great and the wife and I had a great time munching down on them!
Thanks again. :)

INSman
07-06-2005, 04:39 PM
I boil those same Costco ribs in a nice heavier/thicker beer along with some roast seasoning and some Emeril "Essence" for about 45 minutes, then grill for only about 3-4 minutes on each side with some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Has never failed me yet !!!!!! :cool: