PDA

View Full Version : I need tips on working with plexiglass, Help please

DeputyDawg
06-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I want to make a box cover out of tinted plexiglass that I have to go over some electronics in the boat. I know you are supposed to score and break it rather than cut it, but I don't know what the best way to score it is. Also I need to know how to cleanly bond the seperate pieces together. Any help is welcome. It is 3/16 thick.

flat broke
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Your router will be your best friend when working with that stuff. Use a router table to square off all of your cuts, then bond the pieces with an adhesive specifically designed for plexi/acrylic (I don't have the name, but larger fish stores would be able to point you in the right direction) join the stuff, let it cure, then go back over your edges with the router and a laminate bit with guide bearing to clean up the edges of your 90s.
Good Luck,
Chris

DeputyDawg
06-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Thank you sir!

Red Horse
06-30-2005, 03:17 PM
You can cut plexi with a table saw no problem. The noise is gawd awful and if you do it too much you might want to get a plexi only blade. Any blade will work, but tends to dull a carbide tip and you wont get as good wood cuts anymore.
To get rid of the white you need to sand with decreasing grit paper until about 1000 or so then buff with a cotton wheel. Gets all the white out and makes the corners look good again. 3M makes a silicon that will bond it together pretty well. Just have to use a razor to trim excess off when done.

cave
06-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I've cut Plexi, Acrylic, Lucite & polycarbonate and many others on a table saw and finish sand with belt sander then onto a orbital sander With 220 grit then I flamed the edges with a torch. Not Mapp gas Its too hot. Shinny edges after the flame. phawk that polishing crap. :D
Plastics are real brittle when you cut them. Go slow enough but not so slow that the plastics melt on the other end of the cut. You'll be fine. Where longer sleeves so you don't get the itchies. Also Where eye protection. That stuff is red hot coming off the blade.

Aluminum Squirt
06-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Try waxing your table saw blade up real good by making a couple of cuts through a candle or a block of parafin. Not sure if it helps with the plexi, but it has always helped when I'm cutting things on my table saw that I'm not supposed to be cutting on my table saw, like aluminum. It helps to lubricate the blade-Aluminum Squirt

texas-19
06-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Cut with table saw and carbide tip blade.Use a propane torch on edges,just keep it moving,this will remove all scratches,don't use aceylene.Get the special glue they sell for it,got mine at a place that sells sheets of plastic.Comes in a squeeze bottle with a needle on the end,may have to buy glue in a can and buy the bottle seperate.Use wood clamps to clamp 2 pieces together,or the whole thing,then run glue along the crack between the 2 pieces,the glue has a water consistancy,it will seep into crack and will bond overnight.When it dries you won't see any glue and will be hard to break it.Made several cabinets this way.

DeputyDawg
06-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Damn guys, now that is some good info. Man I like this place! :)
It is very much appreciated!