PDA

View Full Version : Stock 455 with Nitrous?

Lickety_Split
06-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I am wondering if anyone out here is running a mostly stock (stock internals) 455 olds with nitrious oxide? I know that the 455 olds has a problem with oiling at wide open throttle. But Nitrous is a cheap way to build power. I know that it is hard on the engine. I am not looking to run it much just every now and then. If anyone is running it how much of a boost are you running? I am just looking for more knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

Moneypitt
06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Wow, I have a 455 in my hydro, and if you're gonna juice that jetboat olds you have more guts than ME. A basiclly stock internal Olds!! I'd be a little leary..........MP

jackpunx
06-30-2005, 01:16 PM
I am wondering if anyone out here is running a mostly stock (stock internals) 455 olds with nitrious oxide? I know that the 455 olds has a problem with oiling at wide open throttle. But Nitrous is a cheap way to build power. I know that it is hard on the engine. I am not looking to run it much just every now and then. If anyone is running it how much of a boost are you running? I am just looking for more knowledge on the subject. Thanks.
go for it.. run a 250 shot.. blow it up after a few times.. and get a BBC :)

BUSBY
06-30-2005, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't do it ... when I had an olds in our ski boat in the mid 90's, I put a 125 shot plate system on it ... had a lot of fun for about 2 weekends ... ended up bending a rod and cracking a piston. And that was only a 125 shot. The motor was a 455 mild build balanced with forged pistons, cam, intatke, 750 double pumper, oil restrictors, etc.
Again, there are other ways to get horsepower the right way, or build the bottom end for nitrous.
Just my .02
Brian

BUSBY
06-30-2005, 01:19 PM
That basically what I did ... but didn't need the whole 250 shot. :hammerhea
Brian

Taylorman
06-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Im gonna do it soon. I just ditched my tunnel ram and got a new Victor single carb intake today. I plan on getting a NOS superpowershot kit. Im gonna jet it down to like 50 hp to start so i dont blow up anything. I have forged pistons in my engine. Just don't spin it over 5000. I plan is to put a bigger impeller in it to improve my holeshot and get the rpms down some and put a small nitrous kit just for occasional top end runs.

9er
06-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah, what he said.

BUSBY
06-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Im gonna do it soon. I just ditched my tunnel ram and got a new Victor single carb intake today. I plan on getting a NOS superpowershot kit. Im gonna jet it down to like 50 hp to start so i dont blow up anything. I have forged pistons in my engine. Just don't spin it over 5000. I plan is to put a bigger impeller in it to improve my holeshot and get the rpms down some and put a small nitrous kit just for occasional top end runs.
That's the smart way Kevin ... don't you want to be part of the "holy crap I blew it up, but it was cool" club? :D

Lickety_Split
06-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the input. I know I should build the bottom end for it. I just wondered if it could handle it. I don't have a lot of experience with the 455 so i figured i should ask. What modifications should i make to a 455 beside switching it to a bbc. will a intake and cam make a noticable difference?

BUSBY
06-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes ... but then you get into lifters, pushrods & rocker arms. That will lead to head work (porting and flowing). Then you're back to square one, needing to build the bottom end.
As I build motors for friends or myself, I have found that it's much cheaper in the long run to start with a good foundation (bottom end) and then slowly build the top end as your budget allows.
If you start throwing an intake carb and cam at the thing, you'll end up not getting the desired results you're wanting (more power). You can build an olds to be very reliable and torqy (is that even a word ... torqy?)
I would take the enine out, get some good rods and pistons for it, maybe a nice little cam set up, and start from there. Then you have a good starting place to add an intake/carb setup onto, nitrous, whatever you want.
I know this isn't the quick and easy answer for you, but it's like building a house without making a proper foundation.
Good Luck,
Brian

460 jus getn it
06-30-2005, 03:31 PM
i was thinking the same thing. but instead of a bbc put a ford in it.............

Liberator TJ1984
06-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Wow, I have a 455 in my hydro, and if you're gonna juice that jetboat olds you have more guts than ME. A basiclly stock internal Olds!! I'd be a little leary..........MP
LS, while your at it ...I saw an engine Blanket over on racing junk :p might keep the rods from exiting the bottom of the boat if your on the button and pump cavitates :devil:

wsuwrhr
06-30-2005, 04:24 PM
That would be the absolute BEST way to end your engines' life the fastest way possible.
Guaranteed to be the most spectacular time it will ever have trying to keep up.
I make a nice billet bottle holder for your system. :) :) :) :)
Brian

Floored
06-30-2005, 06:08 PM
mine was running a 200 hp shot for awhile and still lives. Just gotta build it right. and run straight 100+ octane. Oh ye of little faith!!

wsuwrhr
06-30-2005, 06:49 PM
mine was running a 200 hp shot for awhile and still lives. Just gotta build it right. and run straight 100+ octane. Oh ye of little faith!!
Read stock 455 with nitrous,....
Brian

squirtcha?'s_son
06-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Have u lost ur marbles my father and i had to replace almost all our internals just to run a 100 shot. everything went pistons heads rockers pushrods and the cam. if u want to blow ur engine for another 1 u can but dont go too far from ur camp sight if i were u i would put a trolling motor on ur bow if u install the nitrous,just so u dont get tired of paddeling.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-01-2005, 01:21 AM
i was thinking the same thing. but instead of a bbc put a ford in it.............
Ford for what?????? Hey tyro, I heard that your ford has a heated transom??? So when your paddling it from behind your hands dont get cold :D :D :D
sorry ty, I had to:)

Wet Dream
07-01-2005, 07:43 AM
don't you want to be part of the "holy crap I blew it up, but it was cool" club? :D
I'm a 2 time member, going for 3. :D

Taylorman
07-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey Wet Dream, where have you been. Havent seen you around in a while. Hows your boat running? What kind of rpms do you turn?

BUSBY
07-01-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm a 2 time member, going for 3. :D
at 2 you get a gold membership w/ a complimentary set of Ginzu knives! when you make 3 you receive your platinum membership which is a lifetime membership offering such things as the right to sit on the beach and talk as much crap as you want to all of the new boaters & becoming the official "is my thong too small" checker outer! :eek:
I, myself, have a triple platinum membership ... having blown up enough engines to have lost count.
How did my grandpa say it, "Run it as hard as you can until it pops, and then back off a little bit next time". I just keep forget about the second half of the sentence ... but it sure feels great the second before it goes! :2purples:

kachina_labala
07-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Is a mostly stock gen V 454 able to handle nitrous? If so how much is safe?

Jordy
07-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Just make sure you have someone along taking pics or even better, video that can be posted up because we'd all love to see that Olds carnage. :D :D :D

maxwedge
07-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I was going to put a three stage wet system on my 455 for the fourth.
When combined with my leaky fuel tank switch, I thought it would make a great fireworks display at night on the river.

HotDogz
07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Keep in mind that stock 455 rods and crank are only good to about 500 horse, bottle or no bottle, built or not. Depending on your current HP output, I would stay with a 100 shot or less. Also, the 455 stock valvetrain is aluminum and non-adjustable, at high rpms they will wear unevenly. Should be replaced with roller rockers or at least steel rocker assembly. My stock rockers had wear that varied 10-25 thousandths on each rocker from running it too hard. Rockers cut into pedestals. Also watch the timing.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
for 27 =years dad & I ran a stock 330HP Indmar motor with 150HP N2O on it. Probably fed it well over 100 pounbds over the years. Did it with a 454 though. Much stronger rods & even did with cast pistons & cast crank. Ran N2O as long as 40 secconds at times, no trouble. After 300 or so engine hours the orriginal A400 bearings were washed out but NO ENGINE DAMAGE. I'd be a lot more wary as to the 455 Olds. You will definittely need to build to live with the N2O, especially rods & bearings. Might actually be cheaper and easier to do it to a 454 and swap in the future. The chevys don't have the higher rev issues (let alone the oiling issues) of the olds. Add to that a better breathing head design, easier valvetrain to deal with/modify/adjust. An Olds can be made to run strong, and reliably, but you will pay a price in parts and machinework. Try to keep her under 5K AFTER the oil controll mods are done and you may keep it alive.