PDA

View Full Version : timing 460 ford.need more RPM's

szokejohn2
06-30-2005, 06:47 PM
since rebuilding my ford,its been running great,however I didnt have the tach hooked up.Before I rebuilt the motor ,my RPM's were 5200,now I cant get it past 4500.I dont think its the carb.I didnt do anything with it.I changed the timing gears out with a new set.I believe the it may be standard 8 degree retarded.I looked at the timing gear before I put it in,but you cant really tell that way.
I have the engine at 12 degrees BTDC,didnt mess with the total degrees,hope I didnt mess something up

Squirtin Thunder
06-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Pull the cover and degree the cam !!!

77charger
06-30-2005, 08:30 PM
38 total has worked well for me.was an 11-1 429

mgar_red
06-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I looked at the timing gear before I put it in,but you cant really tell that way.
But you can.....If you used a true double roller set, they have multiple keyways like the one I used ( cloyes ) on my BBF. If you got a standard replacement from the autoparts store, pre '72 ( i think ) has straight up timing, but after that they are retarded. If you look at the mark with the "O" you'll notice the keyway is directly lined with the tooth. You would have been able to see that on your gear even if it only had one slot. The retards are in between. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1176Jan26-05.jpg

SummitKarl
06-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Pull the cover and degree the cam !!!
sounds about right, I bet your a tooth off on the timing gears, set it back so crank keyway and the dots on the gears line up, if it's already like that than did you change the profile of the cam?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-30-2005, 08:44 PM
we timed 460 jus getn it's ford @ 31 degrees total,14 inital,all in by 2200 r's and it pulls real hard.

Moneypitt
06-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Cam timing and ignition timing have nothing to do with each other. You can advance/retard the ignition timing forever and it will not change the corelation of the cam to the crank. If you used a stock timing set, and it is not pre 72, or so, then the cam is late, period. Advancing the ignition timing may make it feel more responsive, but the top end will never be there with the cam late........Get the right parts, installed correctly, which means degreed, and the performance should come back.............MP

Hallett19
06-30-2005, 10:13 PM
You are telling me this guy is going to get 700 RPM from moving the cam up on time ????

squirtcha?'s_son
06-30-2005, 11:06 PM
ur old gage might not have been reading right. Oh r u using your old sender for the tach? that could be reading the rpms wrong but just an idea. thats what happend with my faters boat except the guage would freak out and jump around at wot

Squirtin Thunder
07-01-2005, 12:55 AM
You are telling me this guy is going to get 700 RPM from moving the cam up on time ????
You can change the RPM range by about 1500rpms by adjusting the cam timing.
But then again you can do the same by changing rocker arms too.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-01-2005, 04:11 AM
If your can timing is retarded, and you change it to 4 degrees advanced, you bet it will affect it! Budlight

Squirtcha?
07-01-2005, 07:19 AM
ur old gage might not have been reading right. Oh r u using your old sender for the tach? that could be reading the rpms wrong but just an idea. thats what happend with my faters boat except the guage would freak out and jump around at wot
Actually dude...............tachs don't have senders per se and that wasn't our problem. In our case, we had too many offshoots/devices connected under the dash, and the power wire is too small to adequately power everything. The tach was reading correctly, however (apparently) some of those (extra) devices were drawing current away from the distributor. Our tach fluctuation was the result of a miss we picked up due to our wiring problems. Remember, we disconnected the nitrous bottle heater relay and everything returned to normal?
I don't think the tach is his problem in this case, although It wouldn't be an impossibility.

Moneypitt
07-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Hallet19, I really can't say what he will recover performance wise, but it would be a move in the right direction to get everything happening when it is suppose to. Just .002 more or less valve lash can account for 200 RPM, and all the different lash does is change the timing of the valve event, earlier, or later. So, if the cam is late now, and he goes beyond straight up to an advance, it will make a big difference. How much? Hard to say, but a difference nonetheless...........MP

Danhercules
07-01-2005, 08:06 AM
MINI ME!!!!!!!!! What up dude!!
Glad to see you on here! Hope to be boating with you soon.

460 jus getn it
07-01-2005, 01:37 PM
we timed 460 jus getn it's ford @ 31 degrees total,14 inital,all in by 2200 r's and it pulls real hard.
im spinning 5100rpm with this timming setting.

szokejohn2
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I know I have the tach set up correctly.It is setup independently and running off the MSD trigger with a square sine wave output.The cam set up does make sence,I had a nissan 240sx that was set up wrong,probably 4-8 degrees out.When I corrected the problem,the power returned.

Hallett19
07-01-2005, 02:07 PM
You can change the RPM range by about 1500rpms by adjusting the cam timing.
But then again you can do the same by changing rocker arms too.
can you help me do this on my boat ? :confused:
I have mine setup straight up. I have the motorsport sprocket on my boat and its set at 0, if I set it up at +4 I will pick up more power ? At what expense ? My boat is basically stock except for a decked block, weiand stealth and isky cam.

szokejohn2
07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Just wondering,can you remove the cam gear,move it one or two teeth over,and that way advance the cam.I sounds like I would be flying blind.

FILUCKY
07-01-2005, 05:17 PM
can you help me do this on my boat ? :confused:
I have mine setup straight up. I have the motorsport sprocket on my boat and its set at 0, if I set it up at +4 I will pick up more power ? At what expense ? My boat is basically stock except for a decked block, weiand stealth and isky cam.
Yes, most jetboat engine builders agree that 4+ is the best setting for the "average" motor and pump setup.

dmontzsta
07-01-2005, 07:08 PM
You should get lower gears.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Don't just start hoping teeth on the gears! You'll REALLY Be flying blind and may just fly a valve into a flying piston (REAL BAD). :sqeyes: Do your cam degreeing with the cuts in the gears or bushings in the cam gear

Wicked Performance Boats
07-01-2005, 08:00 PM
You cannot move the chain or a geartooth! Have it degreed by someone who knows how! Budlight

szokejohn2
07-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Alright guys ,thanks alot.Im going to go buy a good chain set at summitt or jegs.Its getting late.Im crashing.

dmontzsta
07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Of course, I meant Gears like in a gear box. :D :jawdrop: