PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

welk2party
06-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I need to start looking at getting a sales laptop and I have no idea where to start. Anyone out there got some input? This is what I am looking for and how I am going to use it:
Lightweight
Wireless network/ Internet
Contact managent
Word processing
email
DVDR
CHEAP!

welk2party
06-30-2005, 08:17 PM
anyone? :D

piper
06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
reliable and light weight= sony
reliable and cheap= dell

welk2party
06-30-2005, 08:25 PM
reliable and light weight= sony
reliable and cheap= dell
gotcha

piper
06-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Check out both sites. Dell's web site is a little better when building your own system. Just scroll down the screen and look at the options.

welk2party
06-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Check out both sites. Dell's web site is a little better when building your own system. Just scroll down the screen and look at the options.
My last bulk purchase was with Dell and I was happy with them. I was hoping there was some place out there that could build one for me on the cheap.

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
06-30-2005, 08:38 PM
dell taco...has been great for me :2purples:

Boy Named Sue
06-30-2005, 08:39 PM
dell taco...has been great for me :2purples:
You know her too. We should talk.

Mrs.Racer277
06-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Hubby takes the dell every where for work. We are very happy with it.

riverbound
06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I have the Sony Vaio VGN-S260
Its very thin and lightwieght. has a great screen dvdr Not the cheapest comp. but it seemed to be the best fro what I wanted.

welk2party
06-30-2005, 08:49 PM
I have the Sony Vaio VGN-S260
Its very thin and lightwieght. has a great screen dvdr Not the cheapest comp. but it seemed to be the best fro what I wanted.
I like the Sony's but not what I want to spend.
I was hoping someone knew a cheap wholesaler that blows them out for cheap. I only need it to last a year or less.

MagicMtnDan
06-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Shop online and in computer mags and stores for cheap notebooks.
But why not spend a bit more for a Dell? You could sell it if you don't want it after a year ;)
By the way, I wouldn't recommend a Sony laptop no matter what. Not compared to a Dell...

H20 Toie
06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
go to dell.com and check out the refirb units then get the best warranty you can afford. i have been buying them for years with very good luck.

welk2party
06-30-2005, 09:49 PM
go to dell.com and check out the refirb units then get the best warranty you can afford. i have been buying them for years with very good luck.
I never knew they had refurbs...cool!

H20 Toie
06-30-2005, 09:59 PM
they are in the dell outlet section

piper
06-30-2005, 10:03 PM
they are in the dell outlet section
Damn, I just bought a brand new one about an hour ago. I should of waited for this thread and bought a refurb. :lightsabe

C-2
06-30-2005, 10:06 PM
I bought an Acer at CC a couple of weeks ago for $500. Brought it home, plugged it in and within minutes was online.This weekend there should be some smoking deals.
Sony VAIO's are nice, but way, way, overpriced (I learned after my third time).
Any computer you buy today will more than suffice for most needs.
And whatever you do DON't BUY A WARRANTY!

Racer277
06-30-2005, 10:18 PM
I've had an Acer - it was good.
I have a Sony and a Dell - both are good, sony has more inputs.
Scroll through the Dell refurb, take the 1 year warranty, find what you want, check that it's a deal (most are).
I prefer a warranty on laptops, if something goes wrong, break it.

Caribbean Jet
06-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Sony’s are good but they're hard to work on if something goes wrong, there’s a lot of proprietary software. Dell makes a great lap top and usually has it for a better price.

Boozer
07-01-2005, 12:29 AM
www.pricewatch.com
This is the only site you'll EVER need. Just make sure you checkout the cost of shipping before placing your order. Some of the sellers like to list CHEAP CHEAP prices and then charge some ridiculous amount for shipping. However, the people at pricewatch quickly caught on so they make sure to list the shipping cost along with the price of whatever you are buying.
I've also had some luck with netseller.com but pricewatch.com tends to be the better deal.

rivergoer
07-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I need to start looking at getting a sales laptop and I have no idea where to start. Anyone out there got some input? This is what I am looking for and how I am going to use it:
Lightweight
Wireless network/ Internet
Contact managent
Word processing
email
DVDR
CHEAP!
ok this s what you want for a good cheap reliable lap top a gateway,or you can spend abou 1800 and get a bitch3n sony viao that comes in a few different sizes...

Boozer
07-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Sony’s are good but they're hard to work on if something goes wrong, there’s a lot of proprietary software. Dell makes a great lap top and usually has it for a better price.
Until you need customer support. Last time I checked the common language in America is English and the customer support people at Dell have a hard time with English.
My experiences with Dell haven't been as pleasant as those of others apparently. If you want a box stock computer (when I say box stock I mean something that was outdated 2 years ago) then Dell is a reasonably priced machine. However, when you start asking for particular features the price adds up REAL quick and before you know it they are asking BIG bucks. Who cares if its big bucks, they finance anyone!!! Right?????
F*ck Dell and their off shore bullsh*t.
Michael Dell is an AMERICAN who has become one of the wealthiest men in the WORLD because of the computers that we as Americans bought. Sadly, Michael's only loyalty is to his bank account and not the people who made him who he is. Due to his greed he sent his tech support to India and because of that I say f*ck Michael Dell. DONT BUY A DELL!!

MagicMtnDan
07-01-2005, 05:56 AM
EDIT: IT'S A 1-DAY SALE
www.newegg.com (great company by the way - great prices and excellent service) is running a special (don't know how long it'll last):
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Brand.asp?Brand=1259
Flag-waving SavingsFree *256 MB Memory*
TOSHIBA M30X-S214 Celeron M 15.4" Intel Extreme - Retail
Celeron M 1.3GHz
256MB 40GB
Windows XP Professional
$1.99 FedEx Saver Shipping
All for $779.00

a catered life
07-01-2005, 06:01 AM
what ever you do get a pentium 4 processer and watch out for stuff thats intergrated cause that may cause problems down the line with upgrades but i have 3 dell's at my house and have been happy with all of them great price and expandable

dbddbd
07-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Dell is your BEST bet for service and quality. Sign up on their website and they'll send you info on sales they have ( you can great a really good notebook for less than a $100 ) and you can finance it too. :smile:

faster
07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
IBM T42. IBM makes the best laptops and has been rated as having the worlds best support organization hands down. I have had 2 dells, 3 sony's, 1 acer and I will tell you this new IBM laptop I've got is the best.
I work with many companies who use all HP or Dell server equipment but wont touch anything but an IBM laptop.