PDA

View Full Version : Deep Impact comet project anyone going to watch

JustMVG
07-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Just wanted to see if anyone was going to try and watch this ?
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/050603_deep_impact.html

FMluvswater
07-01-2005, 02:17 AM
I'll have to look at it more thoroughly after my nap. It's interesting to me though. :smile: I'll bookmark the thread so I can find it easy later.

CandyA$$
07-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Wow seems interesting.
So I did not see where and when you could see it, maybe it was there but I did not catch it.

JustMVG
07-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Well if you are in California, July 3rd at approximately 10:50pm local time you could look here:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85050603_deep_impact_map_02.jpg
Hope if you do watch you have fun. The darker the place you can be at the better the view will be, but there's no knowing whats going to happen.

CandyA$$
07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Wow, I have 4 kids that will be around this weekend, wonder if they would stay up to see it.
Do we need a telescope?

JustMVG
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Wow, I have 4 kids that will be around this weekend, wonder if they would stay up to see it.
Do we need a telescope?
It would probably help but a good pair of binoculars would be fine too i'd expect, it may be a big bright flash or it may be nothing, i'm sure anytime kids can stay up late they will, mine sure as heck do, we will sit outside and watch the Meteor showers sometimes they go to bed early and then get up w me to watch at 2am , i guess it's all about being interested in it.
Enjoy, MikeVG

CandyA$$
07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Wow thanks, I will make the suggestion

FMluvswater
07-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I just went back and read it properly.
Along the west coast of Canada, the Sun will either be setting, or it will be twilight. Dusk will also be falling for Hawaii and New Zealand. As the Earth rotates over the next 24 hours, the rest of the world will be turned toward a view (weather permitting) of the comet.
At the moment of impact, Comet Tempel 1 will be situated about 3½ degrees to the east-northeast of the bluish first-magnitude star, Spica. For comparison, your fist on an outstretched arm covers about 10 degrees of sky.
[snip]
The best consensus from comet experts suggest that after the impactor hits and the resultant dust cloud gradually expands, Comet Tempel 1 could perhaps brighten up to 6th magnitude. The faintest star that most eyes will see under dark sky conditions is 6th magnitude, so there is a chance that Comet Tempel 1 might just become bright enough to glimpse without any optical aid, but most likely that would be the case only for experienced observers in perfect conditions away from all light pollution.
[snip]
At best, Comet Tempel 1 might become 15 to 40 times brighter in the hours immediately after the impact; in less than 24-hours it might go from being a dim tenth magnitude telescopic object to an easy binocular object. And perhaps it might even become just bright enough to be glimpsed with the unaided eye at a dark sky site. Just locate Spica and then, scan the region of sky to its left (east) with binoculars. If you see something that looks like a small fuzzy star or diffuse spot of light, you’re probably looking at Comet Tempel 1!
Those quoted bits lead me to think it won't be dark enough here for me to view it. Hopefully they'll post pics of it on that site after it happens cuz I'd like to see it. :clover: :smile:

CandyA$$
07-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Those quoted bits lead me to think it won't be dark enough here for me to view it. Hopefully they'll post pics of it on that site after it happens cuz I'd like to see it. :clover: :smile:
Are you in 24 hour daylight?
How dark does it get?

FMluvswater
07-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Are you in 24 hour daylight?
How dark does it get?
No but the bits I read said it will happen here just when the sun is setting I'd think that qualifies as not dark enough. Also I live in downtown Vancouver major light pollution.

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Well if you are in California, July 3rd at approximately 10:50pm local time you could look here:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85050603_deep_impact_map_02.jpg
Hope if you do watch you have fun. The darker the place you can be at the better the view will be, but there's no knowing whats going to happen.
I can't even find the TV remote and you want me to look for this???????? :D :D

CandyA$$
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
No but the bits I read said it will happen here just when the sun is setting I'd think that qualifies as not dark enough. Also I live in downtown Vancouver major light pollution.
Damn that sucks. Yeh look for it on the website.

CandyA$$
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I can't even find the TV remote and you want me to look for this???????? :D :D
LMAO!