PDA

View Full Version : Rocks In The Old Jet-Drive........

Dans66Stevens
02-21-2002, 10:43 AM
A friend of mine and I had a chance to suck his jet full of rocks...Long Story believe me.
Its a Berkley with a 455 Olds. We took it apart and got all the rocks out. We checked the key way. It was ok. Im just wondering if we should do anything else? We did this a couple years ago and have never tried it since.
Like I Say LONG STORY........

flat broke
02-21-2002, 12:04 PM
If you pulled the bowl and impeller to have a look, I'd say you're good to go. The only other thing I might do is pull your cooling lines apart at the T and make sure that water is flowing to both sides of the block. Just check your cooling path from the pickup on the suction piece of the pump up to the inlets on the block and you should be good go. I wouldn't have even have thought to give you that tip except that the last time I was out at GS marine Greg had just got done with a boat that sucked rocks, blocked off cooling water to one side of the engine and resulted in a melted exhaust hose, fried header, and swamped boat.
Good luck,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)
[This message has been edited by flat broke (edited February 21, 2002).]

77charger
02-21-2002, 03:37 PM
I know too well about rocks in my pump.Cost me an impeller and wear ring,rudder.all is fixed now.

DickDanger
02-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Need to check the shaft and make sure that it isnt twisted. -DD out

Dans66Stevens
02-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Well my neighor buys this old jet boat. So we take it out for a ride on the river. Well we found out these jets don't go to good in four wheel drive. With ankle deep water the rocks poor into the pump like crazy!!!!!