PDA

View Full Version : Which flatbottom?

Bob Hostetter
07-02-2005, 02:33 PM
If you were going to pick up an older used flatbottom for general lake/river use which hull would you be looking for?
I am thinking about picking up one this winter and setting it up with 2 seats, and somewhere around 650hp, hoping to run in the high 80's or 90's. But I want something fairly stable and predicatable.
I have owned 2 flat's in the past (early 70's Hondo flat and an early 80's Canyon Marine runnerbottom) but haven't driven one in 20 years. Been running a deep 'v' hallet v drive family boat since then but its time for another hot rod.
Any recomendations from all you experts?
Thanks.......

Roman 1
07-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Millers are the best but Glen L's the way to go. :cool:
R1

dmontzsta
07-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I would go with a Lavey. :D
B boats seem to do very well, Hondos are great also. You might want to also consider a runnerbottom for hitting speeds quick.

Kim Hanson
07-02-2005, 07:21 PM
If you were going to pick up an older used flatbottom for general lake/river use which hull would you be looking for?
I am thinking about picking up one this winter and setting it up with 2 seats, and somewhere around 650hp, hoping to run in the high 80's or 90's. But I want something fairly stable and predicatable.
I have owned 2 flat's in the past (early 70's Hondo flat and an early 80's Canyon Marine runnerbottom) but haven't driven one in 20 years. Been running a deep 'v' hallet v drive family boat since then but its time for another hot rod.
Any recomendations from all you experts?
Thanks.......
Cougars seem to be pretty sweet boats and pretty fast..tunnels rock...........( . )( . )........

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Kim, does Cougar build a tunnel flatbottom? Or am I reading the words "Which flatbottom" incorrectly? :hammer2:
Bob, 650 hp in a late 70's Biesemeyer got Lance Faulkner 122 mph in a flying kilo....TWICE! Thats a true flat The same 70's Biesemeyer has dominated circle boat racing since its inception. side note...a circle course more resembles regular lake use than a drag course. With that said, why would you want a drag boat in the slop
The same 70's Biesemeyer is soooo good, its been copied a dosen times. :jawdrop:
If you want the best handling, well mannered, fastest, rough water capable flat out there, its obvious which one is best. The Barron Sprint is a good boat too. :cool:
Happy Hunting. :D

INEEDAV
07-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Kim, does Cougar build a tunnel flatbottom? Or am I reading the words "Which flatbottom" incorrectly? :hammer2:
Bob, 650 hp in a late 70's Biesemeyer got Lance Faulkner 122 mph in a flying kilo....TWICE! Thats a true flat The same 70's Biesemeyer has dominated circle boat racing since its inception. side note...a circle course more resembles regular lake use than a drag course. With that said, why would you want a drag boat in the slop
The same 70's Biesemeyer is soooo good, its been copied a dosen times. :jawdrop:
If you want the best handling, well mannered, fastest, rough water capable flat out there, its obvious which one is best. The Barron Sprint is a good boat too. :cool:
Jerry I get the impression that you may like the Biesmeyer boats. Is that true?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Jerry I get the impression that you may like the Biesmeyer boats. Is that true?
Only if total domination is your goal...otherwise a Lavey is nice :p :D

olbiezer
07-03-2005, 05:06 AM
jerry thanks for mentioning the barron.....my personal choice!!!! :D

Kurtis500
07-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Hondo :D

Bob Hostetter
07-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the input. I got to see a lot of nice flat's at the Irvine Lake get together. While the "B" boats are very nice I was expecially impressed with a couple of the Barron Sprints that were there. I am kinda a Barron/Hallett fan....
Am I correct in assuming the Barron's are pretty stable and turn well?

olbiezer
07-03-2005, 07:27 AM
from what i understand barrons are faster in the strights and slower in the turns......just what i have been told anyway. difference isn't much till u start racing...the b boat guys that race i am sure will be able to tell ya the difference.

Morg
07-03-2005, 08:15 AM
I sold my Hondo Flat & built a Revenge (B-Boat).
While my Hondo was a great boat & ran real nice. There is no comparison to the Revenge.
My brother (ColeMan II) runs a TR1. His boat (right now) is faster than my Revenge. We have ran a couple of time & he has not gone by me, Why??. It was lake racing. My Revenge just danced over the rough stuff, While Craig had to lift.
Now, If we were to line up sitting in the water, with flat water, slam into gear & run. He would never see me.
The best description I could give for my Revenge is just plain "FUN". I dig runner bottoms, But I built my Revenge to be a kick ass lake boat. Essentialy if you get some one who stays next you. Just stay in it & look for rough water. :rollside: :rollside:
Morg

ssmike
07-03-2005, 08:18 AM
How about something like this:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41scan0001.jpg
:D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-03-2005, 08:26 AM
from what i understand barrons are faster in the strights and slower in the turns......just what i have been told anyway. difference isn't much till u start racing...the b boat guys that race i am sure will be able to tell ya the difference.
IMO the Barron is a "B" boat. I was told Rusty Biesemeyer designed it for Nick Barron.

dmontzsta
07-03-2005, 08:35 AM
I will own a B boat one day. :D Seriously, they are the best looking flatbottoms built IMO. Once I finish my ski flat, I am sure I will be looking for another project and a B boat or runner is high on the list.

olbiezer
07-03-2005, 09:28 AM
right as usuall jerry....i forgot all about rusty doing the design on the barron... what happened to rusty after that? i havent been able to find anything about rusty' s story much after he sold the b boats. understand he died early in life right?

mouzer
07-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Cmon BoB, tell me when your ready, ive got a Litchfeild 18 ft 2 seater , less motor looks pretty good,comeing, but im gonna have to offer it to (BIGPROPPA) first! your looking around $1800 :idea: if ya got a little bank $$ i would def, find a B-Boat,(good luck) but if ya want a reg flat or runner let me know when your ready, :messedup: MoUZeR :D :D :D

mouzer
07-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Millers are the best but Glen L's the way to go. :cool:
R1 OK :rolleyes: :coffeycup

mouzer
07-03-2005, 04:08 PM
BoB pm me, just got a call on a flat, late 60;s Barron new paint,lots of candys, new floor,everything put back polished,tandom trailer,some motor parts not sure on the details yet if your interested pm me and i will give ya his # he is asking around $2700 i have seen it after the paint job it really looks good, floor was nice just needed a motor than! it had a himi in it before!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-03-2005, 05:21 PM
BoB pm me, just got a call on a flat, late 60;s Barron new paint,lots of candys, new floor,everything put back polished,tandom trailer,some motor parts not sure on the details yet if your interested pm me and i will give ya his # he is asking around $2700 i have seen it after the paint job it really looks good, floor was nice just needed a motor than! it had a himi in it before!
A 60's Barron is nothing special. The late 70's sprint is the boat. :cool:

olbiezer
07-03-2005, 06:38 PM
picture in my signiture is a 77 barron sprint.

mouzer
07-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Jerry your right, i called him it has the old interior he said back to back bench w/ a fiberglass center divider between the front and back seats, when i saw it that was not in there! the boat belonged to a Richard Green not (rick king) he builds blower motors out of upland ca.He says its a old barron.ALSO JERRY I NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MR T.BUCKLES ASAP THANKS!

Bt273
07-03-2005, 07:42 PM
While my Hondo was a great boat & ran real nice. There is no comparison to the Revenge.
My brother (ColeMan II) runs a TR1.
Now, If we were to line up sitting in the water, with flat water, slam into gear & run. He would never see me.
Morg
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InKahntrol
07-03-2005, 08:26 PM
That's right! We had my dad's '77 Barron at the Irvine Lake deal, had a great time. We've been running that hull with a few different motors for a decade, and my dad got it from his friend who had it a decade before that. The hull is strong, light, handles well in the chop, turns hard and HAULS ASS compared to other hulls with similar power. It went 132mph on radar with the blown BBC before that motor went bang, now it's got a 680 horse injected BBC and still goes plenty fast. 37s in the v-drive, and a marinized TH400. The hull is a light layup with a balsa parquet floor.
Dan

Morg
07-04-2005, 05:38 AM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, You took out the good stuff, Like how My deal runs in the rough.
Typical drag "guy", only seing what just over the bow :cool: :cool:
Get the canyon done, I am calling you out brother, Fathers day next year, Saturday afternoon in the cove. Ha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :hammerhea

ColeTR2
07-04-2005, 06:10 AM
Bob there is a lot of great boats out there. Do you plan on racing it? If so what type? Do you prefers the looks of one style of boat. The Hondo and Canyon Marine look kind of the same. Do you like that look over the circle boats? If you do these are all good boat. Demarco, Howard, Mako, Cole Sanger.

dmontzsta
07-04-2005, 09:32 PM
A wise man once told me.
There are B Boats and then RunnerBottoms.
All the other flatbottoms are pretty much the same. :rollside:

Sanger D
07-05-2005, 10:12 AM
A wise man once told me.
There are B Boats and then RunnerBottoms.
All the other flatbottoms are pretty much the same. :rollside:........................................ .................................He was,nt very wise then,that could,nt be further from the truth!!! :rolleyes:,C,MON you know better than that!! :smile:

Bob Hostetter
07-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Mouser, thanks for the offer but I just retired from the county and bought into a CNC machine shop so I am poor until probably the end of the year. Plenty of work just still trying to fill in the hole in my bank account from buying in. Thats why I was saying I was going to be looking for something this winter.
I like the looks of the "B" boats and the Barron so either one would work from that prespective (the "B" boats seem to pull a premium price). Not really interested in racing it, at least not in sanctioned competition.
I have a couple of left over motors from other projects so I will be looking for something without a motor.

BIGCHRIS
07-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Alright guys,I am fond of all the old hot boats,why are the B boats so much better than the regular flat boats they are both flat right or is there stuff i am not seing .I would like to know why everyone (it seems ) are so fond of them is It the setup ,built better or what.I like seing them on some of the vids they look great especially the K5 waynes boat Billy Bs and the others they are glued to the water :cool: :cool:

Morg
07-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Chris,
There are others in here that know more specific's than me. One of the main things I have noticed on my deal is the rocker on the bottom is much flatter than my old Hondo.
As far as how they run. I am just amazed at how my boat runs in rough water. It just soaks up all the bumps, stays stable & ripps right along.
I am able to stay on the gas through rougher water than my old Hondo (flat) & my brothers TR1 (Runner). Simply for this reason, I strongly believe a "B-boat" makes a better lake boat.
Morg

BIGCHRIS
07-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Chris,
There are others in here that know more specific's than me. One of the main things I have noticed on my deal is the rocker on the bottom is much flatter than my old Hondo.
As far as how they run. I am just amazed at how my boat runs in rough water. It just soaks up all the bumps, stays stable & ripps right along.
I am able to stay on the gas through rougher water than my old Hondo (flat) & my brothers TR1 (Runner). Simply for this reason, I strongly believe a "B-boat" makes a better lake boat.
Morg
Thanx morg,just wanting to know more about them and what to look at :D

olbiezer
07-05-2005, 07:02 PM
as i understand it.........no boat turns as well as a b boat........fast fast fast

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Alright guys,I am fond of all the old hot boats,why are the B boats so much better than the regular flat boats they are both flat right or is there stuff i am not seing .I would like to know why everyone (it seems ) are so fond of them is It the setup ,built better or what.I like seing them on some of the vids they look great especially the K5 waynes boat Billy Bs and the others they are glued to the water :cool: :cool:
"Glued to the water" is not an expression anyone hopes for. :messedup:
Flatbottom boats aren't all the same....subtle differences in boat bottoms (among other things) can effect ride drastically.
Everyone is fond of the B boats because they work. You have to ride in one (that is set up correct) to understand.
As has been stated, the b boat is a great rough water boat that makes for excellent lake use. If you want a dragster, the runnerbottoms are much better.
True the b boats can seem pricey but thats not allways the case.
The thread asks which flatbottom is best for lake use not which one is cheapest and still best for lake use. :rolleyes:
Jerry ;)

BIGCHRIS
07-06-2005, 07:13 AM
"Glued to the water" is not an expression anyone hopes for. :messedup:
Jerry ;)
Jerry ,i guess what i mean is, that to me they dont ride high in the water like a runner bottom and they dont bounce around like alot of flat bottoms.They seem to be lower in the water and alot more stable. :rollside: Are those boats so over powered are they on the down pedal all the time or are they setup to run like that and handle that well :) :) thanx

Morg
07-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Chris,
Like Jerry said "you would have to ride in one".
Yes they roll over & ride on the belly more than a runner bottom, But I was surprised how much my boat moves around. It walks & pivots on the ass end all the way through. In fact I have been having a hard time resting my foot on the down pedal when I am not pushing on it at the top end.
I would describe running a b-boat in rough stuff like running a dirt bike in a whoop section, on the gas bouncing the rear tire off the top of the whoops.
I would describe running a runner bottom like launching a fast street bike, keeping the front a couple of inches off the ground all the wat through 3rd gear
You just need to ride in one.

Morg
07-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Here,
Video (http://www.v-drivevideo.com/samples/eoy2003.wmv)
The first clip is of Ty on the gas. You can see pretty much what I am talking about

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Are those boats so over powered are they on the down pedal all the time or are they setup to run like that and handle that well :) :) thanx
One of these racers would be better suited answering your questions but, when I raced lances 701 boat, once it got up to a good clip you could get off the down entirely and the boat would hang (just like a runner does). Going down the shoot you just rest your foot on the pedal adding a little push here and there to keep the boat stable. It will dance around some but goes right over the slop.
My Hondo sprint doesn't need as much down to get the boat set but then again it has less power and has more rocker. Once it sets... no pedal needed. :cool:

Jet City
07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I have a question for the circle boat crowd, how much interior space does the typical "B" boat have? My DiMarco runner bottom is evolving into a pretty decent river-rod, enough space for a couple dry bags (still running "J" drains) and a decent cooler, which gives the wife and I enough stuff to spend the day out on the lake. The "B" boats look like they have less interior space than a runner, is there room for the above mentioned cargo?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I have a question for the circle boat crowd, how much interior space does the typical "B" boat have? My DiMarco runner bottom is evolving into a pretty decent river-rod, enough space for a couple dry bags (still running "J" drains) and a decent cooler, which gives the wife and I enough stuff to spend the day out on the lake. The "B" boats look like they have less interior space than a runner, is there room for the above mentioned cargo?
There is less room in a b boat due to the longer decks.

WaterBox
07-06-2005, 10:46 AM
My brother (ColeMan II) runs a TR1. His boat (right now) is faster than my Revenge. We have ran a couple of time & he has not gone by me, Why??. It was lake racing. My Revenge just danced over the rough stuff, While Craig had to lift.
The best description I could give for my Revenge is just plain "FUN". I dig runner bottoms, But I built my Revenge to be a kick ass lake boat. Essentialy if you get some one who stays next you. Just stay in it & look for rough water. :rollside: :rollside:
Morg
"Well Said" Morg !! :D

lucky
07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
lake boats == general purpose == rayson :)

PE 316
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
First of all, I'll admit it, I know vey little about CIRCLE boats.
Lets get to even more "basics"...
What is the definition of a B-boat???
(What does the "B" stand for??)
As far as being a PRACTICAL "lake boat" - I don't understand it!!
(From what I've seen, AT MOST only two people can fit in one)
Why is the deck so long??
(If it were shorter, you would have room for a second row of seats)
Last year I got to go for a ride in (and later drive) Dave Sammons' little brother Eric's "Litchfield" circle boat. I was very impressed with the ride of this boat. (It made me second guess the then recent purchase of my "lake boat" ('67 Sanger "Wood-Decker" seating for 5 people))

Morg
07-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Last year I got to go for a ride in (and later drive) Dave Sammons' little brother Eric's "Litchfield" circle boat. I was very impressed with the ride of this boat. (It made me second guess the then recent purchase of my "lake boat" ('67 Sanger "Wood-Decker" seating for 5 people))
B= Beismeyer the original. Boats were then splashed & may have been modified. My boat is a Revenge. I would refer to a boat splashed from the Beismeyer as a "B-Boat"
Practical is a relative term. what I am talking about is a boat you can run hard in a lake situation, instead of sitting in a cove waiting for the water to calm down, just to have a 20 year old punk in his 30 year finnanced 75K wake bourd boat start doing circles around you.
As far as the deck. I think it is a balance thing. In a runner the deck is shorter, but you sit further forward, giving you more room between the motor & the driver. In my revenge the deck is longer which places the driver further back. ex. my starter switch is mounted to the motor & the v-drive is pretty much next to my calf.
Now, I am new to the whole circle deal. I have had my boat out 3 times & ran 55 gals of fuel. I am posting a bunch on this cause I am home all week. I am thnking some of the veterans can eleborate on this.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-06-2005, 03:38 PM
A B boat is a Biesemeyer or copy of. The designation was given by our own "CircleJerk".
I don't think the word "practical" has been introduced here until now. We all know the words "practical" and "flatbottom" don't usually coexist.
IMO practical is boring. :sleeping:
When you add a back seat in a flatty it usually comes at the expense of engine placement, sacrificing handling. Lots of boats are set up that way but few have the motor where it should be. Those that do have very little or no leg room at all (like my Hondo). I use the back seat mostly for camera gear, ice chests or to sit one person across both seats.
I don't know why they designed the decks to be long but I do know hauling passengers was not a priority.
For lake use the Bisemeyer boats are excellent in less than perfect (dragboat) water giving them an instant edge. Their ability to carve 2g turns is probably overkill but you never know what retard jetskier may cross your path without regard for common sense. ;)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-06-2005, 03:40 PM
B= Beismeyer the original. Boats were then splashed & may have been modified. My boat is a Revenge. I would refer to a boat splashed from the Beismeyer as a "B-Boat"
Practical is a relative term. what I am talking about is a boat you can run hard in a lake situation, instead of sitting in a cove waiting for the water to calm down, just to have a 20 year old punk in his 30 year finnanced 75K wake bourd boat start doing circles around you.
As far as the deck. I think it is a balance thing. In a runner the deck is shorter, but you sit further forward, giving you more room between the motor & the driver. In my revenge the deck is longer which places the driver further back. ex. my starter switch is mounted to the motor & the v-drive is pretty much next to my calf.
Now, I am new to the whole circle deal. I have had my boat out 3 times & ran 55 gals of fuel. I am posting a bunch on this cause I am home all week. I am thnking some of the veterans can eleborate on this.
Good post chief! :cool:

Morg
07-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Good post chief! :cool:
Learning from the best there king pin :)

dmontzsta
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Whats a B Boat? :idea:

ssmike
07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Learning from the best there king pin :)
Morg:
Whatever you do, don't disagree with J.G.
That's one internet fight you can't win. :argue: :argue:

BIGCHRIS
07-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Hey Jerry and Morg thanx for the info and opinions , :idea: I like the circle boats and there look, as far as any flatbottom being( practical) :jawdrop: like PE 316 said, u are looking at the wrong kinda boat they are HOT RODS :D my boat is a old sk boat it has a long deck and built heavy and motor placement is wrong but it still loves the rough water .I plan on changing it one day but it does alright :D thanx for all the info guys :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Morg:
Whatever you do, don't disagree with J.G.
That's one internet fight you can't win. :argue: :argue:
Thats cause I got back up! :D

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Mike, you need to take a ride in a "B" boat!. :D

dmontzsta
07-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Whats all this talk about B-Boats, thats all I can think about lately...b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats -
DAMNIT THERE IN MY HEAD AWHHHH! it hurts. :rollside:
I am dizzy. :devil:

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Whats all this talk about B-Boats, thats all I can think about lately...b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats - b boats -
DAMNIT THERE IN MY HEAD AWHHHH! it hurts. :rollside:
I am dizzy. :devil:
Well now according to my diagnosis, I would think the cure would be to upgrade to a "BBBBBBBBB" boat!.. :D :D

mouzer
07-06-2005, 09:06 PM
WOW i feel like im in school! :hammerhea EVERYONES WANTS A B-BOAT NOW!your looking at around 6 to 8k less motor! :eek: :eek: even im looking to build a K-boat now! (since i saw DOSSANGERS)the other B-boat i had was built for Superstock, oh know not mouzer too! yes i here voices again! :2purples: NO DAYCRUISERS! :eek: The guy sold the 77 elim,told me to come get my hundy back! :umm:

dmontzsta
07-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Well now according to my diagnosis, I would think the cure would be to upgrade to a "BBBBBBBBB" boat!.. :D :D
hmmm... :idea:
:)

FOURQ
07-07-2005, 08:55 AM
hmmm... :idea:
:)
did I just hear the news right Dons gettin that B boat he has been dreaming of????
Q

dmontzsta
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
did I just hear the news right Dons gettin that B boat he has been dreaming of????
Q
:coffeycup :jawdrop:

CircleJerk
07-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Yee Gadds! A bunch of 'B' fools! Where's your originality guys and girls? Maybe one could bring back the topic: To B or not to B!! Or, B all you can B! Whoopee....... Seriously, why not get the original B boat and buy an 'A-boat' Quit following and be a Leader for a change! Here's a jeRks suggestion that you all have been waiting for: try something different or are you all a bunch of copycats wearing sports shorts down past your buns! Ya, you're cool.....B.S.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Yee Gadds! A bunch of 'B' fools! Where's your originality guys and girls? Maybe one could bring back the topic: To B or not to B!! Or, B all you can B! Whoopee....... Seriously, why not get the original B boat and buy an 'A-boat' Quit following and be a Leader for a change! Here's a jeRks suggestion that you all have been waiting for: try something different or are you all a bunch of copycats wearing sports shorts down past your buns! Ya, you're cool.....B.S.
Compaired to the number of dragboat hulls out there any circle hull is "different". :notam:
Come on CJ, ever heard the phrase "if ya can't beat em, join em..." :rollside:

CircleJerk
07-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Compaired to the number of dragboat hulls out there any circle hull is "different". :notam:
I just hate it when you are right.......OOOOHHHH (but this happens SOOOO seldom)! Consequently, I'm :smile: once more.
Come on CJ, ever heard the phrase "if ya can't beat em, join em..." :rollside:
I went one step further! I got the original: My Aquacraft that someone splashed! I had a 'b' boat remember? It was a Barron Sprint (by your definition) , didnt like it! Now pull those pants up! :p

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-07-2005, 04:48 PM
I went one step further! I got the original: My Aquacraft that someone splashed! I had a 'b' boat remember? It was a Barron Sprint (by your definition) , didnt like it! Now pull those pants up! :p
Is it still considered a "splash" when the only thing left is the keel line? :cool:
Gee, there sure are a lot of race winning and record holding Aquacrafts out there....NOT!
Maybe you should try a Barron that has the correct set up next time :hammerhea
Boyd, what type hull won your "fast class" championship last year....don't bother mentioning the slower classes as it will prove irrelavent. :220v:
Honcho Villa! Ieeeeeeeeeeehaha! :)