PDA

View Full Version : Backward Motor????

AZKC
07-02-2005, 03:55 PM
This boat was at the Bluewater over OP6C at Parker, blower drive is on the rear of the boat but its a jet :confused: How's that work???
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/255-25-050150a-med.jpg

AZKC
07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Here's a link to a bigger pic :cool:
Bigger pic (http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=29305&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500)

SmokinLowriderSS
07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Somebody had a rear-drive pulley mounted to his coupler. That's just similar to the rear-mount alternators seen on a thread last week.

AZKC
07-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Seems like that would be a bit crazy to design, but that is the probable answer. Pretty kewl way to set it up. Keeps the drive out of the way of all the stuff in the passanger area.

Ken F
07-03-2005, 04:10 AM
I'm not sure if it is for real or not, but I've always heard that running your alternator off the driveline would add about 20-25hp. Would be the same with a blower....they are a pretty big hp draw.
Ken F

olbiezer
07-03-2005, 04:53 AM
wow do u guys need to put those huge ass mufflers on there just to not get a ticket? tough noise laws.......hate to see the drunk driving test lol

superdave013
07-03-2005, 05:22 AM
there has to be some type of gear box in there. If not the pump would turn backwards!
AZKC, you were right there. Should have snapped a pic of the driveline man!

Beer-30
07-03-2005, 05:36 AM
there has to be some type of gear box in there. If not the pump would turn backwards!
Yeah, do they make opposite twisted rotors? Never seen anyone spin one backwards.
HP draw is still there. Whether off of the crank snout or the drive shaft, the HP comes from the same motor and the equipment (alt, blower) still use the HP.

comin' unscrewed
07-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Yeah, do they make opposite twisted rotors?
I don't think that would help. The rotors turn up through the center and out toward the sides. Therefore they take in air at the top and squeeze it against the sides of the case to compress it. They must turn in that direction to work regardless of helix direction. In fact, some blowers have straight rotors, not helical.
So, how are they doing it? A gear box maybe, but that would cumbersome and complicated.
The photo's kinda small and when I blow it up it gets grainy, but it looks to me like he's turned over the drive gear box on the front of the blower. It's driving the other rotor, therefore they turn in the proper direction.

Beer-30
07-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Ah ha. Good call.

comin' unscrewed
07-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I'd like to see how he did the crank pulley. And where's the distributor? Crank trigger maybe?

Beer-30
07-03-2005, 06:43 AM
I'd like to see how he did the crank pulley. And where's the distributor? Crank trigger maybe?
I was looking for that. Either it's a Ford and the dist is in front / wires hidden, or a crank trigger. As much work as he put into spinning that blower around, I am betting he just did a trigger.

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 06:48 AM
This boat was at the Bluewater over OP6C at Parker, blower drive is on the rear of the boat but its a jet :confused: How's that work???
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/255-25-050150a-med.jpg
some motors do run backwards ie... clockwise, like a boat with twin PROPS one motor needs to run backwards to counter act the torque steer from the props. it's done with a reverse cut cam, actually this guy is very smart!!!! the dangerous MOVING!!! items are back out of the way so no one can get hurt.
FYI on the blower whine from earlier post that is caused by the pully type to the blower not the blower, (teeth will whine, serpintine will not). as for the ALT off the drive line I personally think thats "urban ledgend" whats the diff in pulling it off the Front of the crank or the back it's still the same load, to reduce ALT drag you change the pully ratio, put a bigger pully on the alt and smaller one on the crank.
just my 25+yrs of building Fords and some things I have learned along the way
talking, I have been known to be wrong once and a while but I am perty sure I am dead on.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-03-2005, 07:38 AM
You are dead right on Alternator drag Karl. Last week there was/is a thread on several people who mounted alts either at the rear of their block or above their pump snout and ran them off the coupler. It's a neat mod, but does nothing to reduce power losses. The alt still drags the same on the motor, no matter where it is hooked up. The only way to remove alt parasitic drag is the same with oil systems and cooling fans. Drive it with an electric motor OFF of the engine. Then you add weight of course, and more parts to fail, add complexity, (not to mention spend LOTS $$$$).

AZKC
07-03-2005, 07:38 AM
My bad :rollside:
The shape I was in at that moment I was happy to find the shutter button on the camera. :)

AZKC
07-03-2005, 07:42 AM
The photo's kinda small and when I blow it up it gets grainy, but it looks to me like he's turned over the drive gear box on the front of the blower. It's driving the other rotor, therefore they turn in the proper direction.
Did ya try the link in the second post, it'll take you to a bigger pic 1800 x something :squiggle:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Scoops facing the wrong direction too! May have been fun engineering it but I think it's ugly! But that's a sure "dare to be different" Budlight

olbiezer
07-03-2005, 09:15 AM
whatever it is /.......it looks as if it can hual ass for sure!

AZKC
07-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Here's a really bad night shot of the whole boat.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/255-25-050147a__Small_.jpg
AZ numbers, dig the ski tow :D

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 10:09 AM
If that's a Ford---That's one hell of a oil pump primer shaft!!!!! Budlight :D

superdave013
07-03-2005, 10:21 AM
maybe he just want's to look v drive :D ;) :D

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 10:48 AM
LOL :D

SmokinLowriderSS
07-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Not a chance. The dead giveaway would be still floating after 9AM :D :D :wink:
J/K Superdave.

blowngas
07-03-2005, 02:45 PM
ya know, that's really not a bad way to drive a blower---does away with all the stress on the crank snout----makes things a lot safer on back seat passengers-----mount the ideler bracket on the blower---biggest deal is machining bolt pattern on drive pulley to match pump drive flange or shaft flange----pretty cool!!!

Captain no fun
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I set my blower up in a similar fashion, for my Hondo jet. Turn the drive upside down, reverse the gears inside, plug the feed, and re-drill for a vent. It keeps the girls hair from getting ripped off, which is a real danger even with a guard.

dekmaster
07-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Drive it with an electric motor OFF of the engine.
Wouldn't it cancel each other out?

Captain no fun
07-05-2005, 03:37 PM
The scoop backwards looks a little funny, I agree, but I took a wall of water over my bow, with a forward scoop and hydrauliced my motor. Water doesn't compress. Bent the rods, and broke 4 pistons. When I went ot hit the starter, the solenoid stuck, drained the battery, melted the post off, so I had no bilge pumps. The lessons we learn!

Jordy
07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
some motors do run backwards ie... clockwise, like a boat with twin PROPS one motor needs to run backwards to counter act the torque steer from the props.
Every boat with twins that I've seen have both engines runing the same way, they just use different gears in the outdrives and spin the props in reverse directions. ;)

Racer277
07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
The scoop backwards looks a little funny, I agree, but I took a wall of water over my bow, with a forward scoop and hydrauliced my motor. Water doesn't compress. Bent the rods, and broke 4 pistons. When I went ot hit the starter, the solenoid stuck, drained the battery, melted the post off, so I had no bilge pumps. The lessons we learn!
I think in this case the scoop is mounted facing forward.
Looking at the big pic, the forward edge looks rolled.
I do like the idea of mounting it facing backwards, I've seen a Kboat or two that way... :idea:

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I do like the idea of mounting it facing backwards, I've seen a Kboat or two that way... :idea:
I think guys like Wackaboatguru mount the scoop backwards because they always plan on being in the back of the pack.
:idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Yes deckmaster, it likely would. Elec motors are not really strong/efficient enough to spin a generator and make more electricity than they use. Just making the point about that being the only way to eliminate the HP losses from drag on the motor.

Captain no fun
07-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Back in your Matter and Energy, everything comes down to BTU equivilents. 746 watts of energy equals 1 HP=3434 BTU's. Losses from drives/ heat losses prevent you from deriving more HP than is required to make it. Energy is neither created or destroyed, it is only able to change states. If you figure out how to drive a blower to create more energy than you consume, you have just discovered perpetual motion, and solved the energy problems of the world. That statement of backwards scoops and running in the back was hilarious!