PDA

View Full Version : Battery Questions......

Ultracrazy
07-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Battery question.
If you have a dual battery set upÂ…Â….with a perko switchÂ…Â…..what is the most efficient way to use your batteries. ExampleÂ…Â…Â…I have an amp with my stereo which takes a lot of power. Do I use one battery to use when IÂ’m parked and then switch to the other battery to start the boat?
Also……..how best to charge the batteries while running the boat? Batt #1….or Batt #2 or put the perko switch on “both”. Will “both” charge both batteries at the same time?
Thanks for any and all comments.
UC

Ultracrazy
07-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Nobody has dual batts??

Red Horse
07-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Go to Westmarine.com and look at the west advisor.

phebus
07-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Dedicate one battery for starting, and one battery for the stereo. Start on engine battery (batt 1), and while not running switch to stereo battery (batt 2). You can switch to both while running, and they will both charge from the alternator. This way, you will never run both batteries down, and be unable to start. Depending on how much your stereo draws, and how much running of the boat you do, there is a good chance the batteries won't be brought fully up to charge, so I would suggest putting the batteries on an automatic charger overnight and when the boat is not in use. You will find your batteries last a much longer time when kept in a full state of charge, as it cuts down on the sulfation.

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2005, 03:09 PM
If you have a dual battery set upÂ…Â….with a perko switchÂ…Â…..what is the most efficient way to use your batteries. ExampleÂ…Â…Â…I have an amp with my stereo which takes a lot of power. Do I use one battery to use when IÂ’m parked and then switch to the other battery to start the boat?
Yes. Abuse the deep cycle, but use your starting battery while driving.
Also……..how best to charge the batteries while running the boat? Batt #1….or Batt #2 or put the perko switch on “both”. Will “both” charge both batteries at the same time?
I guess it depends on how you use your boat. If you pull it out and throw a charger on it overnight, there's no need to use your alternator to chage the stereo (deep cycle) batteries.
Running on "both" creates more of a load on the alternator, and those things run pretty hot to begin with (no air circulation like a car). I hate to have my weekend ruined by a faulty alternator...
...but that's just me.

Ultracrazy
07-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Dedicate one battery for starting, and one battery for the stereo. Start on engine battery (batt 1), and while not running switch to stereo battery (batt 2). You can switch to both while running, and they will both charge from the alternator. This way, you will never run both batteries down, and be unable to start. Depending on how much your stereo draws, and how much running of the boat you do, there is a good chance the batteries won't be brought fully up to charge, so I would suggest putting the batteries on an automatic charger overnight and when the boat is not in use. You will find your batteries last a much longer time when kept in a full state of charge, as it cuts down on the sulfation.
Sounds good.......thanks for the advise.
Want kind of charger to you recommend. Do they have chargers you can keep on 24/7. My my boat is garaged at the river and I would like to charge them in between trips.
UC

a catered life
07-04-2005, 05:46 AM
well said

beyondhelpin
07-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Get an onboard charger like the bassboat use to charge the trolling batteries. They kick ass. Get a good one which monitors the battery and can kick down the juice for maintiance instead of just charging.
Dont know what kind of power you are pulling but I went with a high powered one so I can charge the batteries up quick. My altenator never keeps up and I was tired of buying new batts.