PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charger Options...

SoundsGood
07-03-2005, 07:39 AM
I currently have 3 Blue Top Optimas (in parallel) on Perko #2 for the stereo (JL 500/1 pushing 2 12w3's & 200w Profile pushing 4 6.5 Alpines). I have an Everstart on Perko #1. Any ideas? I have a 2000 Rinker 27ft. cruiser whose stock charger is something to be desired. Thanks for the help.

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Onboard or portable?

SoundsGood
07-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Onboard

Havasu Hangin'
07-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I'd probably go with something like this (http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=2631) if you wanted to charge the stereo bank.
10 amps is pretty much the limit on the Optimas...but I'd also get something that goes into a "maintain" mode.

SoundsGood
07-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Havasu Hangin'
What if I purchase a 40 amp 3 bank system for the 3 blue top optimas? What will 13.3 amps do to the batteries? Thanks in advance.

CARRERA
07-17-2005, 08:54 AM
I'd probably go with something like this (http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=2631) if you wanted to charge the stereo bank.
10 amps is pretty much the limit on the Optimas...but I'd also get something that goes into a "maintain" mode.
That is the one I use, it works great. I just get home and pulg it in and forget about it, one, two three weeks no problem.

Scarlett Fever
08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
How long does your stereo last during the day? I have 5 D34 Optimas hooked up to my stereo and it only plays for about an hour. I have a Fosgate 2000BD and a Fosgate 1500T hooked to it. It charges up fine with the XantraxTC40+ but wont last for much more then an hour. I was going to upgrade the alternator and actually purchased a 135 Amp Wrangler but was told by the guys at Eliminator that any changes in alternator output will affect the air/fuel mix in the engine and make the boat run too rich. Anyone have any other ideas? Possibly hooking up a second alternator just for the stereo bank?

1stepcloser
08-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I actually purchased a 135 Amp Wrangler but was told by the guys at Eliminator that any changes in alternator output will affect the air/fuel mix in the engine and make the boat run too rich.
:confused: :idea: I'm certainly no expert at this kind of stuff..... but that just doesnt add up.
A higher output alternator is not going to make the boat do anything except supply more current to the electrical system when demand is there, such as when you have drained the batteries from your music.
Certainly not going to make the boat run rich.
Maybe you need a bank of 6v golf cart batteries.... Thats the way to go for extended capacity.... ;)

Beer-30
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
was told by the guys at Eliminator that any changes in alternator output will affect the air/fuel mix in the engine and make the boat run too rich.
Someone needs to track these guys down and string them up.

socalmark
08-02-2005, 06:02 PM
I will happily defer to the experts but my understanding is that if you have three batteries wired "parellel" you have one "bank" of batteries. The Everstart starting battery would be "bank" number two. I think you need a two bank charger. I have a Prosport 20 Plus that seems to be working well for 3 Optimas (one on Perko switch number one and two on Perko switch number two).
I have the same sub amp and sub speakers you do and two JL 300/4 amps pushing 8 MB Quart speakers. The two Optimas can run all day at moderate volumes and about 5-6 hours at loud volumes.
I am still trying to understand what I have done and would be happy to be contradicted. Gotta learn somehow. :squiggle:

Scarlett Fever
08-02-2005, 10:06 PM
That's what I thought but he said something about it messing with the computer. He said they have never had any luck upgrading alternators, the boat won't run right.
Socalmark - I dont see how yours goes for 5-6 hours. Those batteries only have 55 Amp hours. You must be pulling at least 135 amps with your system. That means you could run for an hour tops without a charge. Something's not adding up for me.

ROZ
08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
You must be pulling at least 135 amps with your system. That means you could run for an hour tops without a charge. Something's not adding up for me.
That figure is in a perfect world... His current draw is likely less than 50amps at the volume he listens to it.... I know he cranks it at times though :D :D

Scarlett Fever
08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Then whats my deal? I have 5 Optima Bluetops and can play for an hour? Too many watts?

Havasu Hangin'
08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Then whats my deal? I have 5 Optima Bluetops and can play for an hour? Too many watts?
I'd say you probably have setup issues.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Do you have some big ass links (cable, etc.)?

Scarlett Fever
08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
All amps, batteries, etc are in engine compartment. With 5 batteries and 3500 max watts how long should I be able to play for?

Scarlett Fever
08-03-2005, 10:23 PM
HH do you think that if I upgrade to the 135 Amp Wrangler Alternator that I have it will screw with air/fuel mix to the engine. The guy at Eliminator told me that and said they had never been successful upgrading alternators.

Havasu Hangin'
08-04-2005, 04:09 AM
HH do you think that if I upgrade to the 135 Amp Wrangler Alternator that I have it will screw with air/fuel mix to the engine. The guy at Eliminator told me that and said they had never been successful upgrading alternators.
He is probably talking about upgrading the alternator will up the voltage, and increase the fuel pump pressure (variable on EFI).
Personally, I don't think it will matter, as long as the regulator keeps the voltage the same as the stock alternator. The extra amps are needed for the stereo draw, but the voltage should be constant.
I know TCM sells upgraded alternators- I'd call them and see what they say, since they sell EFI motors, too.
What model amps do you have?

Scarlett Fever
08-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Fosgate T15004 (running 8 speakers at 2ohms) and a T20001bd (running at 1 ohm). I bought a wrangler alternator and those guys say it should be fine.

Scarlett Fever
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Also the Engine is the old 502Mag MPI, not sure how different from EFI but I assume not much since they are both fuel injected.

Cole Trickle
08-05-2005, 09:16 AM
I am typically able to run all day and night with my two Odyssey 1700 batteries If I start with a good charge.
I am running 3 amps totaling about 1800 watts(2 Zapco's 1 JL)

Scarlett Fever
08-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Maybe I just need to make sure I'm fully charged and try again.