PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump Setups

jrork
07-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Just curious as to how everybody has rigged their bilge pumps.
I have a Rule 1100 gph (non-auto) and am thinking about adding another pump for cheap insurance. I would prefer an auto in this case and would like to hear what brand and capacity everybody else in running.
How are you wired. Would a auto pump be best if it's ran directly from the terminal block (with breaker) and not have a switch at all?
Thanks for the any ideas you could pass my way......John

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Just curious as to how everybody has rigged their bilge pumps.
I have a Rule 1100 gph (non-auto) and am thinking about adding another pump for cheap insurance. I would prefer an auto in this case and would like to hear what brand and capacity everybody else in running.
How are you wired. Would a auto pump be best if it's ran directly from the terminal block (with breaker) and not have a switch at all?
Thanks for the any ideas you could pass my way......John
I use a "electronic/solid state" float switch, it has twin transducers that tell the pump when to run, WAY better than (bouncy) Gravity style float switch.
it only draws 20 mill/amps (at rest) so it's permently on in my case = peace of mind, but I run a 5 amp fuse to the pump, JUST IN CASE

Cas
07-03-2005, 08:19 AM
John,
I run 2 also, one is automatic and the other is switched. The automatic I have is a float model which is going to be changed due to the fact a leaf or got lodged under the float. Since we were out on a beach, I heard it running dry and was able to take care of it. Should it have been docked for the night, it could have kept running which would eventually have killed the battery. If enough water was coming in, the boat could have sunk. Lots of "if's", but you just never know when it comes to boats.
I'll go with the same type of pump that SK mentioned.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 08:41 AM
I run 1 pump only, but it's a water puppy remote mounted, rebuildable, brass housing. the float switch is yes the old style floppy switch but it fits in a tight spot next to the pump intake. It's wired directly to the battery. It's a very hih quality pump, available from Boaters World for about $150, but my boats worth it. Budlight. ps. I don't park my boat under trees! j/k :coffeycup

szokejohn2
07-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I am running an 1100 GPH pump in the rear of the transom ,connected with an independant float switch.The pumps output O.D is 3/4 and runs out the side of the boat.
I have a larger pump mounted near the center of the bildge.Its output is 3700 GPH and the O.D is 2 inchs .I cant drill a hole that big in the side of the hull, so I have a pool pump hose that is stowed away.That is a total of4800 GPH /60 minutes = 80 GPM.I think that should be enough to get me out of any kind of emergency.
BTW the 3700GPH pump is connected to a perko switch.The reason I have gone to such lengths is that my boat has sunk due to poor water evacuation.never again,this a great insurance to have and good piece of mind!! :squiggle:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Hell, that 3700 gph pump, if aimed out the back of your boat would be like a shot of nitrous! Budlight :D

SmokinLowriderSS
07-03-2005, 11:47 AM
My only question is how'd ya get the Jacizzi jet drive pump mounted in the middle of the boat? What do ya drive it with, the front of the crank? :D :D

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Hell, that 3700 gph pump, if aimed out the back of your boat would be like a shot of nitrous! Budlight :D
LMAO

AZKC
07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I run 2 one is a 750 GPH on a floppy auto switch and wired for manual also. Also run a 1100 GPH thats full auto. I've got a leak that needs attention but all in good time. Left my boat in the water at the Bluewater @ OP6C for 3 days and they did their job just fine. RD thought it was a bit odd when a 1" stream of water started squirtin out of the back of the boat. "Man thats alot of water" it ran for about a minute or 2 ;) when it runs for 5 minutes then I'd worry :D

SmokinLowriderSS
07-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm only running 1, and manually opperated. It's not the orriginal aquarium pump my Taylor came with though. I THINK it's about 550 GPH that I installed about 1989 when the orriginal peer died. It is likely to be replaced this winter with a single 1000+GPHer on a float switch. I have given thought to putting 2 in (1 each side of my intake) and then teeing them into the same outlet (need to be enlarged). My outlet may only be 1/2" anyhow so I will likely enlarge it whatever I do. 3/4" for 1 and 1" for 2 pumps.

Red Horse
07-03-2005, 02:06 PM
I forget the formula exactly but it goes something like this.
A 1 inch diameter hole 1 inch below the water line will flow X GPH
A 1 inch diameter hole 2 inches below the water line will flow 4X GPH than 1 inch below water line.
A 2 inch diameter hole 2 inches below the water line will flow 16X GPH than the the 1 inch hole 1 inch below water line.
Lets say for sake of argument the 1 inch hole inch below flowed 250 GPH
1 inch 1 inch below= 250 GPH
1 inch 2 inches below = 1000 GPH
2 inches 2 inches below = 4000 GPH
Thats alot of water. I will look around for the formula
Bilge pumps are also rated at a higher voltage and 0 head pressure. So if you have a long and high run and your battery is weak take about 15% off your pumps capacity.

afi823
07-03-2005, 02:38 PM
im runnin only one 500gph, i wish i had a bigger one though

jrork
07-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I think you've got me sold on an auto setup to back up my manual 1100 but now I need to decide to float or not.
Part of me likes the old school float setup. Simple & reliable (minus leaves) vs. the new hi tech, leaves be damned (but too damn fancy for me to figure out how they work) technology.
Budlight, is the Waterpuppy a Jabsco?
Decisions decisions....

malcolm
07-03-2005, 07:39 PM
I've got a Rule 500 and a float switch wired hot all the time from the rear terminal block. I didn't sweat a drop leaving it in the water at Vern's place all weekend. ;)

Rexone
07-03-2005, 07:52 PM
I run (2) 2000 gph pumps with Waterwitch electronic switches w/manual override switches. I prefer them over the float switches. I've always gone a little overkill. I like (2) seperate pumps (regardless of pump size) for the backup factor if one fails for any reason. When you need it there's not alot of time for troubleshooting.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 08:47 PM
jrork, Yes it's a jabsco Budlight

HP350SC
07-03-2005, 08:54 PM
I run three 500 gph Rule pumps, one in center, and one in each tunnel. Manual switch, all wired in parallel to a relay.

Ken F
07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
In my center tunnel I've only got about 1" under the oilpan which is where the lowest point is, right in front of the intake.
Is there a pump made with a remote pick-up which might fit in this area?
Thanks,
Ken F

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 09:27 PM
You know Ken F, That's a good question! How about an oil pump pickup? It has a screen. Hum, not a bad idea. Budlight

sanger rat
07-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Ken, Get a Water Puppy. Run the pick up hose to where you want it. I used a washing machine discharge sock over the end.

Ken F
07-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Sanger,
Okay...where do you get them? Any idea?
Thanks
Ken

73kona455
07-04-2005, 06:17 AM
you could neck it down to 3/4" and use it to shoot lake lice off their jet ski's..lol

Boatcop
07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
For insurance, make up an emergency spare.
1100 GPH pump wired with 10 feet of wire with alligator clips, and about 10 feet of discharge hose. Keep it in a bag under the seat. When you (or someone else) has a pump failure or the installed one can't keep up, just clip the wires onto a battery, drop the pump in the bilge, hose over the side and you've got an instant emergency de-watering system.

sanger rat
07-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Sanger,
Okay...where do you get them? Any idea?
Thanks
Ken
The pump or the sock? The sock I got at Ace hardware. I got my pump off Ebay. Rex marine has them along with West Marine & Boaters world. You want me to take a pic of my set up?

sanger rat
07-04-2005, 11:08 AM
BoatCop. Thats a great idea. To bad I don't have the room.

jrork
07-04-2005, 12:42 PM
The emergency set up is a hell of a good idea. I don't have a bunch of room but they don't weigh squat and what a good feeling to have in case somebody needs one not to mention having a spare just in case..........
I think I'll try to find some room..might be worth a beer or two if somebody is in need. Of course the beer would be provided after I was able to help them out. Certainly not requested beforehand.. I'm always looking for a drinking buddy. :D

Ken F
07-04-2005, 07:51 PM
SangerRat,
If it would'nt be too much trouble, I'd really appreciate that!
If you want you can email it to me at: KenAndEmmFoster@cs.com
Thanks for the links too!
Ken F