PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation on hard acceleration

Fozzy
07-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi guys I am new here. Anyway I just bought this boat last year (see pic below) and didn't have this problem. (I had others but I will save that for later.) On hard acceleration I get a hesitation or sometimes the engine bogs down and won't accelerate at all unless I ease into the throttle. I contacted holley and they said it might be the accelerator pump, but it looks to be working properly. Any ideas? Oh yea, stock 454, 650 holley carb.

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 12:42 PM
yea it's most likely the "power valve" on a holley
best advice it get rid of that holley
and go buy a Edelbrock and I promiss you'll never have to touch the carb again.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Replace a Holley, oh bite thy tongue. ;)
Yes, sounds like a power valve either mis-sized (but you said was working fine last year) or gotten cruddy over winter. Dismantle the holley, clean it well, reassemble it with a new power valve of the same vac. rating (size), and enjoy the next 10 years or so (5 to 6 if you don't stabil over long winters). I'm running the same 4150 Holley that came new on my Taylor SS in 1978. She's been apart for cleaning about 4 times since then but ALL due to never using a fuel stabalizer untill last winter.
The edelbrocks are good equipment but IMO nothing is as simple or anchor-reliable as a Holley, and the motors they are on run well. Why is Holley the #1 selection of all time for factory muscle cars & boats? Simple, they are relaible and work great.

Fozzy
07-03-2005, 01:15 PM
I did get some water in there this winter. We had a hell of a lot of rain in So. Cal this winter and I didn't store boat good enough (already got that lecture from my dad). I

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Replace a Holley, oh bite thy tongue. ;)
Yes, sounds like a power valve either mis-sized (but you said was working fine last year) or gotten cruddy over winter. Dismantle the holley, clean it well, reassemble it with a new power valve of the same vac. rating (size), and enjoy the next 10 years or so (5 to 6 if you don't stabil over long winters). I'm running the same 4150 Holley that came new on my Taylor SS in 1978. She's been apart for cleaning about 4 times since then but ALL due to never using a fuel stabalizer untill last winter.
The edelbrocks are good equipment but IMO nothing is as simple or anchor-reliable as a Holley, and the motors they are on run well. Why is Holley the #1 selection of all time for factory muscle cars & boats? Simple, they are relaible and work great.
$250, 4 bolts, one clip and a hose clamp is alot less work :smile:
stinky, leaky, holleys :yuk:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 06:30 PM
$250, 4 bolts, one clip and a hose clamp is alot less work :smile:
stinky, leaky, holleys :yuk:
I never had a edelbrock carb beat my holleys, ever :D Budlight

Moneypitt
07-03-2005, 07:05 PM
The holley vs. Carter, (style) carb argument has been around for decades. They all work well, and they all fail once in awhile. The Edlebrock AVS, (not an AFB) is known to come with low floats, the new Holleys are still prone to power valve failure after a carb back fire, etc. I think the hesitation he is experiencing is the accerator pump, and/or the check ball in the acc circuit. A simple test is to watch the squirter while moving the throttle shaft ever so slightly. The slightest movement should cause a squirt. If it doesn't the check ball is not keeping the fuel charge at the ready, at the nozzle. It is common to get a little crud in this area, and it will cause the stumble, hesitation you are getting. Remember, the slightest movement, 1/32" or less should cause the squirt.....The amount of fuel delivered can also be an issue, but check the above first................MP

Fozzy
07-03-2005, 07:21 PM
The holley vs. Carter, (style) carb argument has been around for decades. They all work well, and they all fail once in awhile. The Edlebrock AVS, (not an AFB) is known to come with low floats, the new Holleys are still prone to power valve failure after a carb back fire, etc. I think the hesitation he is experiencing is the accerator pump, and/or the check ball in the acc circuit. A simple test is to watch the squirter while moving the throttle shaft ever so slightly. The slightest movement should cause a squirt. If it doesn't the check ball is not keeping the fuel charge at the ready, at the nozzle. It is common to get a little crud in this area, and it will cause the stumble, hesitation you are getting. Remember, the slightest movement, 1/32" or less should cause the squirt.....The amount of fuel delivered can also be an issue, but check the above first................MP
I did that. I moved the throttle cable and watched as it pushed down on the accelerator pump and at the same time looked inside the carb to see if any gas squirted in there. It was pretty much simultaneous. The gas squirted in there as soon as I moved the throttle thing.
But it seems everyone so far has agreed that it is the carb. I was going to rebuild it anyway, maybe now just a little sooner that I had planned. I really appreciate everybodys help. That is why this message board is awesome.

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I never had a edelbrock carb beat my holleys, ever :D Budlight
gota car? I am sure I can cure that problem for you :D
it's a well know fact that holleys make good power, but I have had nothing but trouble (just my exp.)

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 07:57 PM
gota car? I am sure I can cure that problem for you :D
it's a well know fact that holleys make good power, but I have had nothing but trouble (just my exp.)
Karl, Seeing that this is "***boat" and you have a ford falcoon in your avatiar, do you have a boat? Budlight :devil:

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Karl, Seeing that this is "***boat" and you have a ford falcoon in your avatiar, do you have a boat? Budlight :devil:
yes you told it was a good price for it earlier today :rollside:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
yes you told it was a good price for it earlier today :rollside:
Duh, I remember now. Ok, lets race boats[you do have an edelbrock carb on it don't you? I just have a couple of small holleys on mine. Then We can race cars, Your falcoon against my buddies 68 camaro with 454ci, complete edelbrock rpm package with 850 demon, 3000 stall holeshot, turbo 400, gear vendors overdrive,3:31 geared 12 bolt posi. I know it's not my car but I built it over 2yrs. He just paid for it. We could meet in Needles and go for it OR just meet for a few beers and bench race. The more beer the faster they go! :D :coffeycup :D Budlight

SummitKarl
07-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Duh, I remember now. Ok, lets race boats[you do have an edelbrock carb on it don't you? I just have a couple of small holleys on mine. Then We can race cars, Your falcoon against my buddies 68 camaro with 454ci, complete edelbrock rpm package with 850 demon, 3000 stall holeshot, turbo 400, gear vendors overdrive,3:31 geared 12 bolt posi. I know it's not my car but I built it over 2yrs. He just paid for it. We could meet in Needles and go for it OR just meet for a few beers and bench race. The more beer the faster they go! :D :coffeycup :D Budlight
well actually the boat is so old it says CARTER AFB on the front of it. close enough though,
sure now you know what your choices are and you pick on my poor old boat, if your ever have been towed in I already win :yuk:
the car thing would be ok!! will your buddy let you borrow the pink slip too.. :smile:
funny how that beer stuff makes ALL things (even women) a little Faster :sqeyes:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Makes em prettier too! :D

87 rogers
07-03-2005, 09:36 PM
you need to change the spark plugs

Fozzy
07-05-2005, 08:50 PM
you need to change the spark plugs
Are we back to the hesitation problem or is this part of the the "my buddies car is faster than yours conversation"? :) :wink:
Don't get me wrong, it has been very entertaining! :p

probablecause
07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Are we back to the hesitation problem or is this part of the the "my buddies car is faster than yours conversation"? :) :wink:
No $hit!

Squirtcha?
07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Welcome to "da board"

SummitKarl
07-05-2005, 09:14 PM
ok fozzy back to your problem
did you buy a edelbrock yet :argue:

Fozzy
07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Sorry Summitkarl. Gonna try to fix the Holley for now. But don't give up hope, I've got big plans for the bbc for this winter which might include new carb and intake.
Anyway went to the local carb shop to get the rebuild kit and it turns out I read the list numbers off my carb wrong. Had the shop guy throughly confused, he even called up Holley and had them throughly confused. Long story short, I get to go back there tomorrow with the real list number and try not to look like a weenie. :messedup:
What about the plugs? I haven't even looked at them yet.

SummitKarl
07-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Sorry Summitkarl. Gonna try to fix the Holley for now. But don't give up hope, I've got big plans for the bbc for this winter which might include new carb and intake.
Anyway went to the local carb shop to get the rebuild kit and it turns out I read the list numbers off my carb wrong. Had the shop guy throughly confused, he even called up Holley and had them throughly confused. Long story short, I get to go back there tomorrow with the real list number and try not to look like a weenie. :messedup:
What about the plugs? I haven't even looked at them yet.
plugs are definetly a possiability, so is dist. cap and rotor cap and plug wires. spoil it give it all new parts, (INCLUDING HOSES!!!) if you haven't taken a holly apart before (find some one to help) there is a definte art to doing them right, that is the main reason I sugested the Edelbrock, open the box put it on, and they work, they are set up good to go at the factory for a boat being used normaly. just in case you decide to go the easy way the Edelbrock part number is 1410 for your boat

Bense468
07-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Rebuild the Holley...Don't let this guy scare you out of it. New plugs/wires/cap and rotor would be next step. Or if you got the cash, do it all. Probably needs replacing anyway. If the carb needs re-built the other components are probably not far behind it.

Fozzy
07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
All that stuff is on the list (dist cap, rotor,plugs, wires). Even thought about the MSD marine ignition.
Got the rebuild kit from the carb shop. While I was there I helped the guy out with some questions on his hazardous materials permit stuff he has to turn into the city and he was so appreciative that he offered to rebuilt it for free! :D How can I pass that up?!

SummitKarl
07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
All that stuff is on the list (dist cap, rotor,plugs, wires). Even thought about the MSD marine ignition.
Got the rebuild kit from the carb shop. While I was there I helped the guy out with some questions on his hazardous materials permit stuff he has to turn into the city and he was so appreciative that he offered to rebuilt it for free! :D How can I pass that up?!
BINGO!!!!!!!!! gota love it when connections/knowledge work in your favor :D

lucky
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
check your weight /advance - ditrubuter -

76ANTHONY
07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
SUMMITKARL, i've got two edlebrock 750's on my tunnel ram and im thinking barry grants, whatcha think??

SummitKarl
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
SUMMITKARL, i've got two edlebrock 750's on my tunnel ram and im thinking barry grants, whatcha think??
I am thinking thats a TRICK question from a holley guy :wink:

76ANTHONY
07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
NOPE DONT THINK THAT WAY. i just bought the edles for ease of install and they where real cheap from a freind. but i want to step it up a notch, honestly do you think the barry's will help. and be honest, there all just carbs right?

Beer-30
07-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Nope. On a 454 in a pickup, years ago, I changed from a 780 Vac sec Holley to a 750 Carter (Same as Edelbrock) and lost alot of pep. Both were out of the box - stock. It's my experience that the Holley will out perform the same size Edelbrock every time.
I hear the Demons are even better.

SummitKarl
07-07-2005, 05:03 PM
NOPE DONT THINK THAT WAY. i just bought the edles for ease of install and they where real cheap from a freind. but i want to step it up a notch, honestly do you think the barry's will help. and be honest, there all just carbs right?
ok then,
BG's are fine carbs and a big step up from the Edl's, but CFM is CFM no mater who makes the carb, some just atomize the fuel better than others. my personel objection to the Holley style carb vs. the EDl's is all about safety.
holley's just like Volkswagons and Harleys are prone to leaks (sooner or later)
and the 2 pc. (top/bottom halves) design of the EDL's reduce this risk CONSIDERABLY!!!!!!!!!, so my line of thinking is Safety first. especially in a boat. I am betting you have not had to mess with those EDL's at all. and I betting you boat starts "INSTANTLY" every time.
thats just the way I think after "oh geezz" 28 yrs of running Carter/Edelbrocks
hope that helps and if you decide to get rid of the edl's let me know.

76ANTHONY
07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
ok, good point. i've never had a problem with edle's either. but now that safety is an issue i think i'll keep em. but the the bigger the better right, the cfm might be the same but the body is bigger, i cant afford to get a 32 ft boat but i can afford the bg's :D :D :D :cry:

SummitKarl
07-07-2005, 05:34 PM
ok, good point. i've never had a problem with edle's either. but now that safety is an issue i think i'll keep em. but the the bigger the better right, the cfm might be the same but the body is bigger, i cant afford to get a 32 ft boat but i can afford the bg's :D :D :D :cry:
no on the bigger is better thing.
CID+RPM will detrmine the proper carb(s) for your motor.
the old moto I go buy is "when in doubt lean it out"