PDA

View Full Version : "I Shoulda Bought A Sea Ray".....

RiverOtter
07-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Nashvillebound's Last Words!
http://sowal.com/bb/gallery/files/1/7/7/Gettingtowedin015.jpg

Procraftkev
07-04-2005, 06:06 AM
What happend to the new boat? :cool:

RiverOtter
07-04-2005, 06:08 AM
What happend to the new boat? :cool:
I think what happened is .... He didn't buy a Sea Ray :devil: :D

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 06:41 AM
On the spur of the moment we decide to take my fitness trainer and family to the lake.... go out, have a nice day, couple hours later park with some friends...an hour later with nothing on we try to start the sled....NOTHING... no power at all. Ok...so lets pop the hatch...no alternative power to get it up. I had two electricians with me and we tried everything. The master reset is on the other side of the motor ...not accessable without the hatch up. I got the hatch up this morning and reset the breaker...still nothing. I just came in to get something to drink.. it will be jack and coke soon if I cant get this figured out. I leave in two days for MO...WITH the sled.... I called Magic and said "I" would fly someone out here to figure this thing out.... No calls back so far... imagine that. If I miss this trip I will be flying out to AZ WITH our attorney. I am on the very fine line...again.

RiverOtter
07-04-2005, 06:43 AM
On the spur of the moment we decide to take my fitness trainer and family to the lake.... go out, have a nice day, couple hours later park with some friends...an hour later with nothing on we try to start the sled....NOTHING... no power at all. Ok...so lets pop the hatch...no alternative power to get it up. I had two electricians with me and we tried everything. The master reset is on the other side of the motor ...not accessable without the hatch up. I got the hatch up this morning and reset the breaker...still nothing. I just came in to get something to drink.. it will be jack and coke soon if I cant get this figured out. I leave in two days for MO...WITH the sled.... I called Magic and said "I" would fly someone out here to figure this thing out.... No calls back so far... imagine that. If I miss this trip I will be flying out to AZ WITH our attorney. I am on the very fine line...again.
Chaparral makes a nice deckboat :D

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Chaparral makes a nice deckboat :D
I would laugh but I just seem to be all out of them.... :devil: :devil:

RiverOtter
07-04-2005, 06:45 AM
I would laugh but I just seem to be all out of them.... :devil: :devil:
Did you have the kill switch turned off. Happened to me acouple of times :idea:

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Uh, no. Its active. I am going to jump the master switch then try to bypass the breaker....try to eliminate those as sources.....

Not So Fast
07-04-2005, 06:48 AM
What he said :confused: NSF

Not So Fast
07-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Uh, no. Its active. I am going to jump the master switch then try to bypass the breaker....try to eliminate those as sources.....
Good gravy NB, maybe this was not meant to be!! You are the most patient man I know, GOOD LUCK :rollside: NSF

bigq
07-04-2005, 06:57 AM
That blows, last new boat I bought was half the cost as yours and i expected it to be flawless. It was in the shop for the first 6 months more then in my garage or on the water. I was pissed and evewntually got every thing fixed... to sell the tainted thing. Anyway, good luck and just remember to step back and breath then remember things could be worse. :rollside:

cola
07-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Look at the main power wire @ the starter. Flow the power from the battery to Pergo switch and keep going untill you loose power. Does the trim switch work or the radio. Good luck.
Late, Mike

Sherpa
07-04-2005, 07:04 AM
check your throttle nuetral/safety switch..... (if it has one) I know nothing
about offshore-type controls.
is anything coming on-? power anywhere-? a cheby is easy to start with a
screwdriver if that's all it is, but sounds like you have no power anywhere...
check battery connections. ground cabling.
--Sherpa

Infomaniac
07-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Dude I have seen kids play with the kill switch while parked and folks get towed back as a result.
Not that you have not looked but never can tell. LOL

phebus
07-04-2005, 07:26 AM
All have been touched on, but I would double check- kill switch, neutral safety switch, wires to key swich, main breaker, positive batt cable, ground cable.
Seeing how your boat was delivered with everything loose, I would definately check all wire connections.
Good luck!!

phebus
07-04-2005, 07:30 AM
After re-reading your post, since you can't even get power to the hatch, I wouldn't concentrate on the kill switch, neutral safety switch, or engine breaker, but would definately check the positive cable and ground connections, and the wiring to the key switch.

Infomaniac
07-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Yea I did'nt catch the no hatch power part myself.
Disregard my suggestion :idea: LOL

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Ok....I checked the stinger breaker...power to both sides... checked the back side of the battery switch....checked it three ways....all ok. I am now working at the kill switch at the key....and the neutral trip switch. Has to be in the forward area. I have a meeting at 11 so I will be back all over it around 12 or so. I cant imagine anything else that would cause this besides those two. Any suggestions will be thankfully accepted..... these are so basic...
BTW: Fluffy did say she say a spark with a small amout of smoke from the key switch are....I tols her it was the lake lice driving away....maybe she is smart after all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :notam:

bigq
07-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Ok....I checked the stinger breaker...power to both sides... checked the back side of the battery switch....checked it three ways....all ok. I am now working at the kill switch at the key....and the neutral trip switch. Has to be in the forward area. I have a meeting at 11 so I will be back all over it around 12 or so. I cant imagine anything else that would cause this besides those two. Any suggestions will be thankfully accepted..... these are so basic...
BTW: Fluffy did say she say a spark with a small amout of smoke from the key switch are....I tols her it was the lake lice driving away....maybe she is smart after all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :notam:
If so it be best to keep that to yourself. :D

Infomaniac
07-04-2005, 07:48 AM
There is a fuse under there man.

phebus
07-04-2005, 07:53 AM
I would definately check the key switch with a meter for continuity with the key switched on, and definately all connections. At least if you find the key switch went bad, you can't blame Magic for that, and some of your frustration might ease.

cola
07-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Make sure you have the big power wire on the starter. Power goes from the Pergo three way switch right to the starter. I have seen the wire not crimped to the eye connector & laying in the bottom of the boat.
Late, Mike

TPI
07-04-2005, 08:02 AM
OK,
I dont think this has been suggested, if it has........sorry for the repeat. I have completely rigged over 100 custom boats, and I have seen this intermittant problem about 10 times. Here we go. Check to see if the main plug into the motor has a hose clamp on it. It should be about 1 1/4" in diameter toward the Left rear of your motor. If it does not have one, remove the plug check out the pins on both sides, check the two large pins with a test light CAREFULLY! Plug it back in tight(if you have power to it)! Push hard and wiggle it, and put a stainless hose clamp around it to secure it. If it does have a clamp already, then remove it and go through the above steps. I seriously have seen this happen several times on brand new top of the line boats, they are mass produced wiring harnesses and they are man made. Good luck. I am home today, feel free to PM me if you need help to get out on the lake. We WILL figure it out fore sure. Hold it up to the phone so I can see it(joking) Good luck

phebus
07-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Does whoever diagnoses the problem correct get the free Magic t-shirt you never got? :D

Havasu Hangin'
07-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Smoke means positive and negative had to come together. I don't think an ignition switch has a ground?
I'd take a look at the back of the dash.

Holland
07-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Make sure you have the big power wire on the starter. Power goes from the Pergo three way switch right to the starter. I have seen the wire not crimped to the eye connector & laying in the bottom of the boat.
Late, Mike
Had this a few years ago... The rigger did not tighten the "Commom" nut enough on the battery selector switch.. THAT KILLS EVERYTHING, Including the HATCH...
But after rereading... Smoke? Yeah... something is bouncing around in there.

phebus
07-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Smoke means positive and negative had to come together. I don't think an ignition switch has a ground?
I'd take a look at the back of the dash.
I was thinking if it had a loose wire, it could be arcing as it was trying to keep contact.

TPI
07-04-2005, 08:12 AM
I just read the smoke part????????????????????Unless one of the 3 gold screws flopped off of the key switch and the wires touched? A test light and about 15 minutes and you should be in business. He did say no power at all right? Then it cant be the neutral safety switch(yellow w/red stripe) because that is starter only. Maybe it is the kill switch(like you guys said)? Maybe a butt connector behind the kill switch was not crimped tight and that purple wire(12V key on) touched something(smoke)? I really hope you get this resolved.

wildbillg
07-04-2005, 08:53 AM
I had this happen to me once on my Nordic. Heres one that not many people know, there is a fuseable block on the starter
http://media.stemtostern.com/LSDATA/LSDATA_FULL/CRUISER%5C881784%5C1690.GIF
When that part went on mine I had nothing....
(#7) 88-79023A91Fuse Assembly - 90 Amp
I lost power to everthijng and had to take the back seat out just to get in there.

bchbum
07-04-2005, 09:04 AM
I wonder if Wes , takes trade ins

spectras only
07-04-2005, 09:28 AM
. Check to see if the main plug into the motor has a hose clamp on it.
That's a good pointer. I've got clamps on my twins . Unplug this harness once a year , spray some neutrol on the pins !

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 09:45 AM
I found a blown fuse in the front of the Ilmor...20AMP System power or accessory or something like that. I am going to get a box of 20's...get some power to the front. if it pops right away i will delete the kill switch from the system frist. I dread electrical work.......... I called Gary Taylor... (by the look of the thread he posted here) let me get this right...he owns GT performance right?? posted on this thread ??? He must think i am nuts...never posted here... said its some guy named John.....

phebus
07-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Gary owns TPI-Taylor Performance Inc. Look at his signature in his post, it has his number.

Infomaniac
07-04-2005, 09:53 AM
There is a fuse under there man.
:D :D :D :D

phebus
07-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I would be on the phone to Ilmor in the morning to find out what that fuse powers. It may be like finding a needle in a haystack trying to find what positive went to ground to pop that fuse.

TPI
07-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Gary Teague owns GT performance in Montclair CA.(very knowledgable, good guy IMO). I will be honest though, I have never touched one of those ilmors, and I am not sure how they are set up, but the basic marine wiring concept should be in place so it should be troubleshooted with some patience. If you are finding blown fuses, then something is definately arching or drawing excessive power???? Hmmmmmm.

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 10:50 AM
I see that now...my mistake. Well, at least Gary was able to give me an earfull for not buying his 900 I was talking to him about. The fuse is the only thing I can find. Everything else looks clean and tight. I checked every screw on wall. I am going to hard wire a switch today for the hatch just in case this repeats itself...just so i can get off the water under power. If it happens again I will need to have it serviced. Needle in a haystack....thats a good analogy.....
And another thought....20amp fuse running the entire front? ALL the accessories? I think thats a little weak....

Holland
07-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I dont think I would increase the fuse size as they put it in with wire sizes and load calcs... I would hope... But maybe seperate some circuits and add another fuse to take some stuff off that leg...
Good Luck NB!!!!!!!!!!! It is just a bug and you still have a kick a&& ride!!

phebus
07-04-2005, 12:33 PM
So, did the new 20 amp fuse hold? And, if so, is everything powered up now?

SummitKarl
07-04-2005, 01:04 PM
a good trick I learned is to get one of those self contained Jump start boxes and plug into the cig lighter, = instant power to things like that hatch, I am just going to guess here, oil pressure cut out switch is disconnected or batt terminals not making connection, try plugging 12vdc in to the cig lighter and see what happens.

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 01:14 PM
The 20amp fuse is holding good...ran stereo plus a few more... have no idea. I checked the battery switch all three ways....and the main Stinger breaker...everythings good. I am wiring a emergency switch for the hatch to the access side. AND buying a jump start pack....
I would be happy if it was just an overloaded fuse....

canuck1
07-04-2005, 01:39 PM
The Otter did it
The rope was too long and he got into your boat
Send him the bill

Jrocket
07-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I called Gary Taylor... (by the look of the thread he posted here) let me get this right...he owns GT performance right?? posted on this thread ??? He must think i am nuts...never posted here... said its some guy named John.....
Gary might have been talking about me?

RiverOtter
07-04-2005, 02:43 PM
The Otter did it
The rope was too long and he got into your boat
Send him the bill
Who drug me into this?!?! :D

phebus
07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Who drug me into this?!?! :D
Guilt through association. :D

NashvilleBound
07-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Whaat boat? All I know is this grey goose is smoooothh!

TPI
07-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Gary might have been talking about me?
was Gary Teague working today? If so I am going to give him a hard time. NB, I am glad your ride is up and running. Who is john?

Wake Havasu
07-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Whaat boat? All I know is this grey goose is smoooothh!
So it was the 20amp Fuse?

Jrocket
07-04-2005, 07:56 PM
was Gary Teague working today? If so I am going to give him a hard time. NB, I am glad your ride is up and running. Who is john?
He was working on his on deal,getting ready for the Catalina ski race.

NashvilleBound
07-05-2005, 03:31 AM
I guess i was confusing GT Performance(Gary Teague) with GT (Gary Taylor)here on the boards.... my mistake. I dont remember who said John...al I know is the 20amp fuse is holding steady....with most of the accessories on. Plenty of spares to get through our trip tomorrow to Table Rock and an emergency hatch switch ta boot..... Thanks for all the suggestions

NashvilleBound
07-05-2005, 06:44 AM
A Pat Foley from Ilmor called this morning and told me the 20 is too small and I can upgrade to a 40amp. He said if the bilge pump kicks on and has some muck in it it will trip the 20..... SO..this is a huge relief for me. I was checking everything coming up empty. Pat, if you read this thank you for the call. If really helps when someone can communicate. And I look forward to the Owners manuals too.... Thanks again.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-05-2005, 08:20 AM
A Pat Foley from Ilmor called this morning and told me the 20 is too small and I can upgrade to a 40amp. He said if the bilge pump kicks on and has some muck in it it will trip the 20..... SO..this is a huge relief for me. I was checking everything coming up empty. Pay, if you read this thank you for the call. If really helps when someone can communicate. And I look forward to the Owners manuals too.... Thanks again.
Magic did not give you an owners manual for the motors when they sold you the boat?

Froggystyle
07-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear this is a simple fix Jeff. I feel terrible for you over the whole thing...

NashvilleBound
07-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Glad to hear this is a simple fix Jeff. I feel terrible for you over the whole thing...
LOL...realllly? Or are you just giving me a hard time still? really, I am sure you serious...but I know how you are....you have me wondering....

NashvilleBound
07-06-2005, 03:46 AM
OC'd..this might help explain it too....

northern baja
07-06-2005, 05:33 AM
I had this situation on my boat last year. The fuseable link right at the starter was the culprit
BTW. I used the lighter plug to get power into the system to raise the hatch.

Bella
07-06-2005, 06:59 AM
On a Magic Deckboat can't you jump directly to the battery through the access hatch? That would give you power. I guess if a fuse was gone it wouldn't help, but either would anything unless you jumped on the otherside of the blown fuse.

fatjohnson73
07-06-2005, 07:09 AM
unplug the cannon plug and jump pin connectors #s 5 and 6 on the engine side and then jump across the slave solinoid to see if get it to turn over.if it does then you have a problem from the harness up to the dash, nuetral safety switch,key switch,etc..... hope this helps. fatjohnson73 :smile:

Deano
07-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I had the same problem happen to me..It was the kids raising/lowering the tabs til they bottom out and load up the system til the fuse blows.

Froggystyle
07-07-2005, 09:33 AM
LOL...realllly? Or are you just giving me a hard time still? really, I am sure you serious...but I know how you are....you have me wondering....
Never man... You gave me all the shot I could have ever hoped for. I wasn't going to rush the end game though. I am stoked you got into a boat you liked, and offed your last one in the process.
Magic offered you a lot of stuff I couldn't. Trade in, a boat on the water today and a track record. Unfortunately, they have also offered you intimate knowledge of your electrical system and a do it yourself bolt tightening course... but hey... you are on the water, right? ;)
OK, now I am back to giving you a hard time a little... But, I do feel ill for the problems you are having, but know you will probably also be in our stable a few years from now as a result of them.
Best of luck to you Jeff with the boat. If it was anyone else I would have been a lot more sarcastic. You did a lot of research and took your time, and it should have come out better for you.
See you soon for your test ride...

SHOTKALLIN
07-07-2005, 12:37 PM
froggy youre a class act.

meaniam
07-07-2005, 03:49 PM
id you try and do it fully clothed.......an hour later with nothing on we try to start the sled....NOTHING...