PDA

View Full Version : Illegals and High Gas prices

Seadog
05-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Has anyone thought about the fact that illegals are affecting the gas prices? Everyone is talking about how we need to reduce the use of oil by a few percentage points. They talk of alternative fuels and hybrids as saviors.
I think we should look at getting rid of illegals to save fuel. By some estimates, illegals constitute 7% of the population of our country. Have you ever seen an illegal driving a hybrid or a high effeciency new car? Most of them drive bigger, older cars that are very wasteful. And how much fuel is used to get them in and out of Mexico?
By my estimates, if we were to get rid of illegals, we could cut our oil demand by 10%. That would bring our needs down to where our existing production can keep up. Works for me.:D

Gilligan
05-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Send them packing!! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/waiting.gif
But who will clean my house?

NOTALENT
05-02-2006, 05:59 AM
Havent you heard of them hot stripper maids!!!! :crossx:

H20Advantage
05-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Should have seen the freeways around here yesterday. Nobody on the freeway. It was like the clock was turned back ten years, Oh that was about the time we really began turning a blind eye to immigration problems.
We could cut Cal Tran funds, quit building all these new freeways and save tax dollars .

H20Advantage
05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Funny we were talking about this thing this morning. Could you imagine going to a drive through and a sixteen year old kid takes your order and prepares your food? What a concept, everyone is replaceable.

Gilligan
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Funny we were talking about this thing this morning. Could you imagine going to a drive through and a sixteen year old kid takes your order and prepares your food? What a concept, everyone is replaceable.
Atleast they can speak english!!

Nubbs
05-02-2006, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=H20Advantage]Should have seen the freeways around here yesterday. Nobody on the freeway. It was like the clock was turned back ten years[QUOTE]
That's funny. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Big Warlock
05-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Honestly, you people are scaring me. Are you seriously this stupid? Read previous posts regarding the supply and demand of refined products and the fact that no refineries have been built in the past 25 years. Come on now. Everyone is replaceable? Really? Unemployment is at a little over 3 % Do any of you understand what that means? :220v:
Simply, if you don't have a job your a moron!! Even Mexicans can comeover and take your job!! And they don't speak english! And your 16 year old kid? Yea, the one with a TV in his room, car out front and X-Bot and $150 tennis shoes. That one? Yea, right! He or She wants to work for minimum wage at Taco Bell! Actually, little A-holes like that want to come into a company as VP of whatever and barely got out of High School.
:rolleyes:
Re-think your ideas here people. You really are scaring me. Did you all vote for Kerry as well? :cry:

Seadog
05-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Big Warlock, it used to be that college kids would work construction during the summer. It was considered a badge of honor to have the construction tan at the start of the school year. Teenagers earn money by mowing yards or working fast food. Now they cannot get the jobs because illegals are doing them.
This means that a large number of kids are not getting the chance to learn from early job experience. When I was in high school, I went through the same garbage. We lived near an army post and every fast food place or discount store I went to, they could hire GIs for the same wages. So I sat around the house, watching tv or wandering the streets. Yes, there are kids that do not want to work. Heck, if I had a choice, I'd rather be boating today, but kids need to learn the ways of the business world.

Big Warlock
05-02-2006, 07:33 AM
SeaDog:
The construction industry needs people. Trust me, if they want a job they can get one. I hired two college kids last year. With over 300 employees, I think I know the needs of the industry. Send me another 300 and I can put them to workl. That is the state of the construction industry today in the US. Thus the unemployment rate of 3 %.
High school students are a different story. Laws and insurance requirements have put a damper on those guys. :cool:

H20Advantage
05-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Honestly, you people are scaring me. Are you seriously this stupid? Read previous posts regarding the supply and demand of refined products and the fact that no refineries have been built in the past 25 years. Come on now. :220v:
Simply, if you don't have a job your a moron!! Even Mexicans can comeover and take your job!! And they don't speak english! And your 16 year old kid? Yea, the one with a TV in his room, car out front and X-Bot and $150 tennis shoes. That one? Yea, right! He or She wants to work for minimum wage at Taco Bell! Actually, little A-holes like that want to come into a company as VP of whatever and barely got out of High School.
:rolleyes:
Re-think your ideas here people. You really are scaring me. Did you all vote for Kerry as well? :cry:
"Everyone is replaceable? Really? Unemployment is at a little over 3 % Do any of you understand what that means? "
If you or I died or dissappeared today we would be replaced tomorrow. Happens in corporate america everyday. Think Paradigm shift here. These people fill positions that can all be replaced by somebody else. Maybe we as an American society will get off our asses, wash or own cars, cook a little more at home, neighborhood kids will cut lawns again...ect, ect.
We have allowed illegal immigration since about 1986 but have really turned a blind eye since the early 1990's. We are now feeling the effects. Alot of guys who have made alot of money by hiring illegal immigrants have done so at the expense to the rest of us. This being said, maybe you are a business owner who hires help at a lower pay and are able to produce more product for the big bucks but you don't pay your fair share back to the system so that the health costs, road improvement and repair, housing and lack off issues, additional crime and L.E. needs, School funding and teachers, and the list goes on and on.
The one employee you bring in illegally has a wife and then three, four five kids that then place a burden on society.
So what I am saying is maybe we do without in some respects to gain quality of life back in other ways. I work in the trenches and see how it is effecting us as a society everyday. Some people live in their protected communities and have no idea how this affects the municipalities on an everyday basis. IMO
By the way if you are here legally I welcome you with open arms and applaud the fact you are doing it the correct way.

OGShocker
05-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Some interesting reading on California industry. (http://www.labor.ca.gov/panel/Californias%20Key%20Industry%20Clusters.pdf)

cdog
05-02-2006, 08:17 AM
My first job was at baskin robbins when I was 16. I worked for $4.25 min. wage for 6 months and went to lifegaurd school to make $10.00 an hour. One of the best lessons i've ever had was the fact that low skill = No Money. Every kid needs a couple of these jobs to realize where he or she wants to be in their future. Now look at me. :) HA HA!
I went to the jack in the box on Sat. to order some lunch. I had a free coupon a friend gave me. I orderd my food and the dip shit guy (hispanic) speaking spanglish asked me fried or grilled in gibberish 2 or 3 times. After politly answering him I yelled it the 4th time, FRIED! The new spicy chicken samich :boxed: I pulled up at the window and this guy was in his late 30's doing a kids yob. WTF. Learn english or mop the floor. He had the balls to give me an attitude at the window. I was worried about what he did to the food after getting a weird smile from his women co worker so I did not eat it. Even though he was a dick I still was polite and said please and thank you. I treat everyone with respect regaurdless of what they do or don't do. It's amazing how a smile and a thank you can defuse a situation but this guy still gave me the f'n gringo look. That would have been a great yob for a high school kid.

cdog
05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Has anyone thought about the fact that illegals are affecting the gas prices? Everyone is talking about how we need to reduce the use of oil by a few percentage points. They talk of alternative fuels and hybrids as saviors.
I think we should look at getting rid of illegals to save fuel. By some estimates, illegals constitute 7% of the population of our country. Have you ever seen an illegal driving a hybrid or a high effeciency new car? Most of them drive bigger, older cars that are very wasteful. And how much fuel is used to get them in and out of Mexico?
By my estimates, if we were to get rid of illegals, we could cut our oil demand by 10%. That would bring our needs down to where our existing production can keep up. Works for me.:D
I said this the other day. Imagine the bumper sticker.....
Conserve fuel
Deport 12 million illegal drivers

Big Warlock
05-02-2006, 08:33 AM
"By the way if you are here legally I welcome you with open arms and applaud the fact you are doing it the correct way."
If this is directed at me, let me assure you, I am here legally. I was born here, as were my parents. My father worked his way through college and was a Marine. My parents were very successful in the oil industry. They provided me and my siblings with first class eduction. I have an aeronautical engineering degree from ERAU, a business degree from ERAU and a master's degree, courtesy of the US Army, from Cal Poly. Other than my undergraduate education, my parents gave me nothing else. Period. I worked on the oil rigs, off shore Ca. while going to college. I drove trucks after college and still hold my class one license. I served five years in the Army, went through OCS in Ft Benning Georgia along with Infantry AIT and Airborne school. I was selected to serve in the 2nd ACR and went to Germany and nine months in Desert Storm, round one. You are welcome to come over to my office and go through my "I love me" wall. Bring your boat, lake is 20 min away.
Bottom line is, yea, I am here legally. And I've done my part. And, unlike Shockwave Bob, I did use the GI bill and the other benefits to buy a home, etc. etc. Those that know me understand my philosophy on life. I own a couple of companies now, have a few employees. I treat them all as I would want to be treated. All of my employees have their legal documentation as required by law, whether they are born in this country or not. Maybe a few of you should do a little research on what is required to hire and what is discrimination. The law is very specific about what you can and can't do without stepping on people's rights.
Every day we continue to talk about illegal immigration and the fact that the oil companies are giving the country the shaft. Oh, and George W is sticking it to us and he and Cheney are socking away the bucks. The stupidity around this place is amazing! I have to agree with SB that most of these loud mouths don't know crap! Haven't done crap! And are scaring me to think that I might understand how many ignorant people voted for Kerry!!!!
Truth is, I have a place down in Mexico and a boat (what else?) down there as well. I get treated better there than anyplace else. Nothing comes close in the US. That's a fact! For the most part, they are honest, hard working people. They don't have much and take care of what they do have. I can honestly say that my crew in Mexico and I are good friends.
There are very few genuine people around anymore. I will say that I have met some of the best people I know right here on HB. I do business with them. I socialize with them. I celebrate life with them. And I have had so many good things lately, that it has been a joy to have my friends around to share that with.
At the same time I have had ugly things happen in business. I involved two Hot Boat friends in those ventures. They stuck by me through it all. They are still my friends to this day. Communication was the key to those relationships.
Off my box.

JB in so cal
05-02-2006, 08:35 AM
http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/115981.jpg

JB in so cal
05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/115978.JPG

H20Advantage
05-02-2006, 09:06 AM
"By the way if you are here legally I welcome you with open arms and applaud the fact you are doing it the correct way."
Big Warlock that statement was just for anyone who was reading the post and is not directed at you or anyone else in particular. Peace out and see ya on the water. :wink: :wink:

jbtrailerjim
05-02-2006, 09:12 AM
You hit the nail on the head with that statement. IMO..A lot of teenagers are spoiled lazy asses nowadays and that is the parents fault for that. I don't believe that mexicans come over here and take jobs from teenagers at the fast food joints because they will work cheaper. Parents need to put a boot in their kids ass, tell them to put the Playstation down, turn off the TV, quit handing them everything on a silver platter, and make them go out and get a part time job.
Kids don't appreciate anything nowadays. They think that once they go to college (parents foot the whole bill) and graduate, they should be handed a nice office job making a 100k a year.

Jordy
05-02-2006, 09:30 AM
IMO..A lot of teenagers are spoiled lazy asses nowadays and that is the parents fault for that.
I think it starts way before the teenage years. I don't know about you guys, but when I was growing up, we got out of school and terrorized the neighborhood on bmx bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, on foot, whatever it took and ran it hard until the sun went down and we got called in for dinner. These days it's very rare that I see kids playing out in the neighborhoods after school. I think now it's a come home, grab a Coke and turn on the computer or the Playstation and sit on your ass.
I know back when I was in high school I had a summer job working for a construction company and making $4.25 an hour doing what everyone else who worked there didn't want to do. I still remember my first check after a week of busting my ass outside in the construction yard at the office, it was $130 and change, take home. Certainly teaches you the value of a dollar. Don't know too many kids that will work like that anymore and it's a sad deal.
Oh, and now the high gas prices are the illegals' fault?? Shit dammit, I'm confused. Last week it was Bush's fault. Next week are we blaming the Easter Bunny??? I just want to be able to join in on the sand kicking and not feel so confused. :notam:

cdog
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Oh, and now the high gas prices are the illegals' fault?? Shit dammit, I'm confused. Last week it was Bush's fault. Next week are we blaming the Easter Bunny??? I just want to be able to join in on the sand kicking and not feel so confused. :notam:
I think it's ment to be a joke. I know my statement was suppost to be funny. :) But there is a little truth to it. It's bush's fault too. :220v:

jbtrailerjim
05-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I think it starts way before the teenage years. I don't know about you guys, but when I was growing up, we got out of school and terrorized the neighborhood on bmx bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, on foot, whatever it took and ran it hard until the sun went down and we got called in for dinner. These days it's very rare that I see kids playing out in the neighborhoods after school. I think now it's a come home, grab a Coke and turn on the computer or the Playstation and sit on your ass.
I know back when I was in high school I had a summer job working for a construction company and making $4.25 an hour doing what everyone else who worked there didn't want to do. I still remember my first check after a week of busting my ass outside in the construction yard at the office, it was $130 and change, take home. Certainly teaches you the value of a dollar. Don't know too many kids that will work like that anymore and it's a sad deal.
I was the same way when I was a kid. I was outside playing and tearing it up on my bmx bike till the sun went down. I hated having to stay in the house.
I also had to go out and get a summer job when I was job in high school working for some of my dad's buddies that owned their own businesses doing some shitty manual labor type work. My senior year in high school, I worked at a grocery store bagging groceries and chasing shopping carts.

Seadog
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
While my original statement was tongue-in-cheek, there is a truth to it. And less idiotic than I have heard some so-caled political leaders espouse. One of the more idiotic theories, was to make all cars self-destruct after ten years. The idea was to have a chip installed that would cause the engine to cease functioning after it was activated. Now, based on the fact that the older cars are often less efficient and emit more pollutants, that may be true, but being force to take a 65 Mustang, or 67 Cobra to a scrap heap and replace it with a Civic or Prius would really tick a lot of enthusiasts to the max.
I also do a lot of work with construction and I have seen the lack of jobs for college kids due to illegals. Many companies would hold off a lot of projects until classes let out and the kids were available. Now they can hire anytime and not be dependant on class schedules. They also get workers who are more subservient and have more experience with labor jobs. They would also pay more than just minimun wage. Today, even if kids wanted to, they don't hae a chance. A lot of the kids around here are used to working and are reliable. The only chance they have to work is to go to their homes and work, or hang around doing nothing.

Jordy
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Today, even if kids wanted to...
Bingo. ;)

v-drive
05-02-2006, 10:23 AM
We all might get a little carried away but in the end the truth is that we want these people to come here legally. If we close down the borders we want them to respect that. I don't think there is one of us here that doesn't believe that a person doesn't have the right to better themselves. v-drive

jbtrailerjim
05-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog
Today, even if kids wanted to...
Bingo. ;)
Exactly. Jobs are out there for these kids but most think they are above getting their hands dirty or just too lazy.

Big Warlock
05-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Those days are gone. My first job was in a yogurt shop. I was the only guy with 6 girls. I loved that job! Balboa Island, Ca. They were so damn nice to me. I don't care what the pay was. :crossx:
Another good job would be to work the fuel dock or one of the restaurant docks in Newport. Get tips for helping people tie up and stuff. There is a kid that works the dock at Villa Nova. I always tip the kid $10 for helping tie up and watching the boat while we go to dinner. Woody's has no one, but could be a good job!
I also stayed out of the house all day. I hated having to put up my bike and go in for the night. We were out all day when we didn't have school. Those were the days.

bignet
05-02-2006, 10:35 PM
We all might get a little carried away but in the end the truth is that we want these people to come here legally. If we close down the borders we want them to respect that. I don't think there is one of us here that doesn't believe that a person doesn't have the right to better themselves. v-drive
excellent quote...thanks for saying it like it should be said.
bignet

YeLLowBoaT
05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Atleast they car pool.... like 20 of them in a mini van.... or one "american" driving a full size SUV geting 8 mpg.

b's sanger
05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
$3 gas or $3 for a tomato, it will pretty much all even out in the long run. The big difference is, the sell of gasoline is not the largest industry in California.
Please tell me you are not defending the illegal influxe into our society after defening us on the battle field.

ROZ
05-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Funny how everyone seems to think that every Mexican is illegal and that any Mexican working a decent job is an illegal taking way the job of an American citizen...
I hear the Illinois, Chicago in particular, has a severe illegal Polish problem... Smart educated Pols taking the jobs of Chicagans... Every region has it's own problems...

b's sanger
05-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Funny how everyone seems to think that every Mexican is illegal and that any Mexican working a decent job is an illegal taking way the job of an American citizen...
I hear the Illinois, Chicago in particular, has a severe illegal Polish problem... Smart educated Pols taking the jobs of Chicagans... Every region has it's own problems...
Make no mistake, I know the difference. Play by the rules, show your integrity and do not take advantage. I have personal knowledge of fake driver's licenses, social security cards etc... I challenge anyone to defend why these are going for top dollar on the streets mostly in the hispanic neighborhoods.
Of course, just my opinion after 20 years experience.

ROZ
05-02-2006, 11:35 PM
I challenge anyone to defend why these are going for top dollar on the streets mostly in the hispanic neighborhoods.
I bet they're going for top dollar in New York, Texas, Detroit, Virginia, Atlanta, Florida, Pensylvania, and Boston as well :) Not just in Mexican Neighborhoods..
Besides, what do you expect.. Southern California is a forgotten Mexican border town... You can thank the Feds for that ... Make sure to write your congressman :)

b's sanger
05-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I bet they're going for top dollar in New York, Texas, Detroit, Virginia, Atlanta, Florida, Pensylvania, and Boston as well :) Not just in Mexican Neighborhoods..
Besides, what do you expect.. Southern California is a forgotten Mexican border town... You can thank the Feds for that ... Make sure to write your congressman :)
Case in piont! I am not blaming the feds, just considering the source. I have no patience for a Mexicam/Hispanic temper tantrom I feel entitled not to work movement. Phuck you, you should all be fired if you participated!!! God bless my local hispanic brothers yesterday when i went to my favorite salsa resaurant. They were all there and working. It is what it is! If you want to challenge this BRING IT.

ROZ
05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
I have no patience for a Mexicam/Hispanic temper tantrom I feel entitled not to work movement. Phuck you, you should all be fired if you participated!!!
You perceive it this way because of the region you live in... There were plenty of other nationalities that protested as well around the country, and most of them weren't illegals.... Now that, is the sad part...

b's sanger
05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
You perceive it this way because of the region you live in... There were plenty of other nationalities that protested as well around the country, and most of them weren't illegals.... Now that, is the sad part...
Ignorance is bliss. In the meantime our tax dollars are TAXED!!! Jump on the band wagon theory, not suprising in the least. We have seen this before. Again, please do not tell me you are defending the illegal's right to be here regardless of nationality. Had enough of that crap. Good fellowship, following the rules here and above is what I am about.

Seadog
05-03-2006, 05:16 AM
While I have some choice words to say about how spoiled kids are, the point is that those kids that want to work are having doors closed in their face because cheap labor with less hassles is available. If I had my way, it would be a requirement for kids to do a couple of years of manual labor/military service after high school.
My personal thoughts are that foreign nationals of any background should not be allowed to work in retail or food handling jobs. They should be allowed to have a work permit, provided that the employer demonstrates that employing U.S. citizens is not an option. Cheap labor is not allowed to be a reason for employing aliens. If any alien is hired, he is to contribute an amount of his salary to equal the amount a citizen should be paying in taxes and FICA to the IRS, but will not qualify for any benefits like health care or welfare. They are not allowed to be contract workers and must be covered by a health care program through their employer.

mike37
05-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Bottom line is that everyone residing I the United stats should be here legally
or be sent home
no one should get benefits from the U.S. If not a citizen
and all you guys that say we need Mexicans in construction
yes we need workers but the fact is for the most part Mexican worker have dropped the quality of the framing part do to lack of experience and have driven the wages down so more qualified workers wont do the work any more
and no one is teaching there kids to be in construction workers so every one that walks on the job has no experience
now I am in now way saying that Mexican worker do not work hard for there money just for the amount of guys the experience is just not there and the work suffers for it

YeLLowBoaT
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm realistic enough to know that you don't decimate the work force of the largest business (agriculture) of a state with the WORLD'S 5th largest economy. Who's going to pick brocolli? You? Me? Your kids?
Use all the rhetoric you'd like, the simple fact is they are here for a reason. They were allowed to come here for a reason. Now that they're here, because we let them come here, should we insist that they pick produce and their children pick produce for the rest of their natural born lives? We tried that once, with another race of people, remember, it didn't go so well.
I agree with you that shiping them all out at once would hurt the econ...
its estmated that there are 20 mil of them in the US. I know there are not 20 mil farm workers. I would be more then happy to go out and pick crops if I could make a livable wage. There is nothing wrong with being a manuel laborer, does not matter what kind of labor you do. In fact i would rather be a blue coller worker then a white coller. I have been both. Some of the happest ppl I know have the crappest jobs for very little money($20 a hr and less).

kcvega
05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Some of the happest ppl I know have the crappest jobs for very little money($20 a hr and less).
That's me!! But, I live in Oklahoma though. I think whoever hires the illegals should be taking alot of the blame. Why doesn't anyone focus on that?