PDA

View Full Version : intake doesnt line up with heads.........

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Ok after 3 days dropping the mill in my hull I have ran into a problem. My intake doest quite line up to the heads. The outside is snug up against the edge of the head. I can bolt one side up but the other side os off. If I bolt up one side then the other side has a .050 gap. Do I need to have the intake milled? It is a weiand tunnel ram, heads have been milled .015 and the block has been almost "0" decked(pistons are .005 in the hole from being "o" decked). The (bbc)deck heigth is 9.785 tall. Any info is appreciated.

blowngas
07-04-2005, 06:51 PM
you may get by with using the thicker intake gaskets---you can get some that is around twice as thick as the regular ones----last set I bought was mr. gasket pieces----had to use them on the dart heads and a bds manifold

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Thats a great idea. I have the felpro with the blue seal around them. I will try to add another one. Anyone els ehave any ideas???

Oldsquirt
07-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Felpro has a set for rectangular ports that is 1/8" thick as opposed to the standard 1/16". They are non-printoseal gaskets.
Do not double-up on standard gaskets.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Felpro has a set for rectangular ports that is 1/8" thick as opposed to the standard 1/16". They are non-printoseal gaskets.
Do not double-up on standard gaskets.
Thanks craig. Do you think that is what it is??? I am tired of ordering shit and then dont need it;) I can order them tomorrow if so...
Michael

Oldsquirt
07-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Michael, set the manifold and gaskets in place without any end seals. Do the bolt holes line up? If not, is the manifold already touching the block where the end seals would go?

Fiat48
07-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Valve spring shims can be placed under the intake manifold 4 corners (.060 or .030 or .015 or a combination) and the intake set in place for a temporary measurement and alignment check of ports and bolt holes. Before ordering any special thick gaskets.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Michael, set the manifold and gaskets in place without any end seals. Do the bolt holes line up? If not, is the manifold already touching the block where the end seals would go?
i will check tomorrow. I am thinking that it might be a "tall deck" manifold :frown: how do i check?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-04-2005, 10:34 PM
its really close! i will check tomorrow. if it is, what does that mean?

Oldsquirt
07-05-2005, 12:17 AM
1.) If it were a "tall deck" manifold it wouldn't even come close to fitting. It would sit way too high.
2.)If you have about .060" clearance along the end rails you should be good to go, as long as the bolt holes line up. Just use silicone to seal the ends.(I know you were going to do that anyway, right?)
3.) If the manifold is sitting on the end rails before making contact with the gaskets, take a look at bolt hole alignment. If the manifold holes are lower than the holes in the head, try it again with thicker gaskets. If the holes are higher than the holes in the head, you'd have to machine enough off the ends to give approximately .060" clearance.
If you bought that manifold used, it may have been previously modified. Been in that situation myself before. Just for grins, if you have any other BBC manifolds, you should see how well they fit.

Taylorman
07-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Is the manifold bolt holes higher than the head holes? If so, put the manifold on without any gaskets and see if the holes line up. If so, measure the gasket thickness and machine your intake down by that much. I had to take .030 off my intake to make it fit right. Doing this will also ensure your intake is good and staight. Ive heard that intakes are not always straight from the factory.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
here is a few pics Without a gasket....
this is hitting.......
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/239intake1.jpg
and so is this one.......
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/239intake2.jpg
no clearance here........
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/239intake3.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
The holes are lined up on one side but the other side the intake's holes are slightly higher......

GofastRacer
07-05-2005, 06:21 PM
The holes are higher because the manifold is crooked, hard to tell without seeing it in person but it may need machining, but first try puting an 1/8" washer on each corner on the ends and set the manifold on so it's flat and see if the bolts line up and look at the ports and see how they line up, if they do, check the clearance between the head and the manifold and see if it's the thickness of an intake gasket, if it sits too high use thinner washers until it fits, if it don't fit you will have to get it machined!..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
sounds like a plan;) I wil let you guys know;)

jamessampica
07-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Make sure you are not sitting on the valve cover's.That intake might have to be clearanced for the valve cover's.I've got one already done that way if it would help.Loper's has those thicker intake gasket's in stock if you need them.But really check those valve cover's really close to rule them out.LATER!!!!
JIM S

Moneypitt
07-05-2005, 06:32 PM
It is not unusual to grind a little off the bottom of the bolt bosses that stick out the side of the intake. Also, remove the valve covers and once the manifold is down corectly, they may clear.........You must remember that the intakes are cast, and machined by people, so small errors in machining are not uncommon, combine that with the idea that the block and heads are not virgins either, and all those factors will create problems like you are experiencing. Be sure to add sealant to the water passages at the front and rear of the heads, just to be sure they seal water out.......MP

GofastRacer
07-05-2005, 06:40 PM
sounds like a plan;) I wil let you guys know;)
If you can't figure it out no biggie, just drag it over here and I'l help ya!.. :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
There is no valve covers on there at all!! I am going to the machine shop tomorrow and I will show them. They can machine it if needed;) THanks for the help fellas;)
Oh and art, I might need your help. Pm me with your number so I have it;)
Michael

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 05:56 AM
There is no valve covers on there at all!! I am going to the machine shop tomorrow and I will show them. They can machine it if needed;) THanks for the help fellas;)
Oh and art, I might need your help. Pm me with your number so I have it;)
Michael
Check your PM's!.. :)

hondajoey
07-06-2005, 06:33 PM
did you use thin head gaskets? that could also be a reason for it not lining up