PDA

View Full Version : finally gps'd

mexrunner
07-04-2005, 08:24 PM
got all the bugs worked out on my rogers so i got out the gps and headed up to the strait above my house was dissapointed to say the least but not to sure the gps was updating fast enough ran two runs fasted i saw on gps was 70mph which seems wrong to me :confused: . Gps is an old magellan i bought around 8 yrs ago. the boat is a rogers tr19 with blueprinted bottom 2deg backcut shoe with ride plate blue printed pump running a b impellor, cav. reducer, droop snoop. motors turning it at 5,900rpm am i wrong to assume im running faster than 70 mph
thanks adam

Squirtcha?
07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
i got out the gps and headed up to the strait above my house was dissapointed to say the least but not to sure the gps was updating fast enough ran two runs fasted i saw on gps was 70mph which seems wrong to me :confused: .
That's why they call it the "humbler"
Personally I think it was a bad day for gps'ing. I ran mine at Big River Sunday doing a nitrous pass and it read 37.6 mph.
I know that's wrong!
My gps is a newer Etrex and I know I stayed in it long enough for it to update.

dmontzsta
07-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Squirtcha is right, the GPS is the "lie detector". I just bought a new etrex also, this thing is awesome, I love all the features, elevation, trip, etc...

mexrunner
07-04-2005, 09:16 PM
well mine was jumping up and down all over the place its just the highest flash was 70mph oh well was planning on running big river or parker this next weekend if anyone will be down there with a gps i'd love to check it again.
Adam

WUTWZAT
07-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Don, how is your boat doing? Has it been drying out enough to finish it up?
Have your spys been over to check on mine lately? :wink: I have the cover off slightly. Well I still have a few little things to tighten up and hide away before I pull the cover completely and start cleaning it up for the engine install. :2purples:
Jason

dmontzsta
07-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Don, how is your boat doing? Has it been drying out enough to finish it up?
Have your spys been over to check on mine lately? :wink: I have the cover off slightly. Well I still have a few little things to tighten up and hide away before I pull the cover completely and start cleaning it up for the engine install. :2purples:
Jason
Hey Jason, it has been hot as ****! out here. It has seriously been high 90s and DRY as hell with NO wind, it is torturous. I was out puttying in the holes and sanding, but I could only go for about 10 minutes and I am completely soaked in sweet and light headed about to pass out. I have it all puttied and sanded, it will have all week to dry out in the heat some more and should be good to go for the weekend.
My spys have been laying low a bit. :D You going to be ready?

Cole Sanger
07-05-2005, 01:39 AM
You should come to AZ. It was 111* today. 90 would be like winter weather.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Oh yeah! I was in the garage all weekend sweatin' my ass off. I wish it was 95 degrees out. That would be great;)

dmontzsta
07-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Well, when you are working in the driveway with direct sunlight on you, sanding by hand, it feels like 200 degrees.
:mix:

hack job
07-05-2005, 09:00 AM
That's why they call it the "humbler"
Personally I think it was a bad day for gps'ing. I ran mine at Big River Sunday doing a nitrous pass and it read 37.6 mph.
I know that's wrong!
My gps is a newer Etrex and I know I stayed in it long enough for it to update.
i saw you launch on sat and sunday but then you dissapeared i was out there wiht out the boat. glad you had good time and that you were out trying to beat BN s # of 37. looks like you finally made it happen. :p

LVjetboy
07-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Why not take your GPS for a ride in the car or truck and check it out. Yes they are subject to lag error. Yes they can be subject to reception error. But I've found mine matches other speed instruments to within 2 mph. Not saying your 8 yr old Magellan is or is not accurate, but why not check it against something you feel is a good measure? Then decide.
jer

dmontzsta
07-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Why not take your GPS for a ride in the car or truck and check it out. Yes they are subject to lag error. Yes they can be subject to reception error. But I've found mine matches other speed instruments to within 2 mph. Not saying your 8 yr old Magellan is or is not accurate, but why not check it against something you feel is a good measure? Then decide.
jer
That is exactly what I did with mine and found it to be pretty damn close to my trucks speedo, maybe within 1mph.

Squirtcha?
07-06-2005, 06:04 AM
i saw you launch on sat and sunday but then you dissapeared i was out there wiht out the boat. glad you had good time and that you were out trying to beat BN s # of 37. looks like you finally made it happen. :p
Sorry we missed ya Tyson. Yeah, finally hit that elusive 37 mph mark. We're cruisin now!
Not sure what was up with the Etrex. Might've been because I was wearing it around my neck?
On a good note..............the boat ran awesome all weekend. Just bump the key, push the pedal, and run it til it needs more gas.

Heatseeker
07-06-2005, 08:07 AM
got all the bugs worked out on my rogers so i got out the gps and headed up to the strait above my house was dissapointed to say the least but not to sure the gps was updating fast enough ran two runs fasted i saw on gps was 70mph which seems wrong to me :confused: . Gps is an old magellan i bought around 8 yrs ago. the boat is a rogers tr19 with blueprinted bottom 2deg backcut shoe with ride plate blue printed pump running a b impellor, cav. reducer, droop snoop. motors turning it at 5,900rpm am i wrong to assume im running faster than 70 mph
thanks adam
I ran my boat last week on the delta. I left the gps on for the whole day. I did a couple of wfo passes throughout the day, one of which was a good 15 count. Later in the day, when I checked the gps back at the ramp, my highest mph was 54.7. I'm hoping I'm a little faster than that spinning a AA 6100 rpm! The good news was that I traveled 35 miles without running out of fuel. 1.25 mpg avg... :cry:
Mine is a three season old eTrex. Maybe it's time for an upgrade?
dmonzta, I had a prob with working out in the sun in my driveway. I'd go out and sweat my ass off until I couldn't stand it, jump in the pool to cool off and go back out there. I finally bought a 10'x10' pop-up canopy for $80. It straddles the trailer with ease and provides good shade. Now it's not so bad to work out in the driveway, although the boat is now stored(and worked on) in the garage. Just an idea.

roostwear
07-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Don't feel bad, my GPS is defective too. I'm going at LEAST 10 mph faster than that lying POS says!

dmontzsta
07-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Don't feel bad, my GPS is defective too. I'm going at LEAST 10 mph faster than that lying POS says!
lol :devil:

Squirtin Thunder
07-06-2005, 08:25 AM
John,
I was running a Berk AA this weekend and turning 4600 @WOT and speedo said 69mph. Hope that helps !!!

Mighty Thor
07-06-2005, 08:35 AM
John,
I was running a Berk AA this weekend and turning 4600 @WOT and speedo said 69mph. Hope that helps !!!
That's actually great news, I'm running a AA and 4500 WOT and get 51 mph on speedo without trim adjusted. Maybe my 460 aint as tired as I thought.

Heatseeker
07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Last season, I got a 79 mph reading @ 5700 rpm. That was before I made a couple of changes. So I know I'm doing better than 54! Heck, I got by the Pumpkin boat that day, and he's been gps'd at 75.
We need radar! Only prob with that is to get a good reading, you have to shoot it head on within a few hundred yards. Tried it with my cousin's hydro. Kinda scary facing a 100 mph boat coming at you dead onhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared0012.gif !

Heatseeker
07-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Me too! :D

Squirtin Thunder
07-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Last season, I got a 79 mph reading @ 5700 rpm. That was before I made a couple of changes. So I know I'm doing better than 54! Heck, I got by the Pumpkin boat that day, and he's been gps'd at 75.
We need radar! Only prob with that is to get a good reading, you have to shoot it head on within a few hundred yards. Tried it with my cousin's hydro. Kinda scary facing a 100 mph boat coming at you dead onhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared0012.gif !
I have got by quite a few 75+mph boats and the speedo only says 70 at that time. I need a link on how to tune (calabrate) a speedo with a pito tube !!!

CrdStang
07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Got a funny story..
After a few hours of running my boat Marlin around, tuning and re-testing with the GPS, I got it up to 57mph. Then we re-set the "Highest obtained speed" to zero and went out in my dad's sailboat. We were on our way out of the bay at ~7mph, dad carried the GPS across the deck for a tack, looked at the display and it read 69mph! Figure that one out..

LVjetboy
07-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Got another story...
On the cruiser my fish finder (sonar) said 34 mph. The pitot said 35 mph. True story on the way to watch fireworks last weekend. Any guesses what the Garmin GPS read? :D
jer

RECORD7JET
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Got a funny story..
After a few hours of running my boat Marlin around, tuning and re-testing with the GPS, I got it up to 57mph. Then we re-set the "Highest obtained speed" to zero and went out in my dad's sailboat. We were on our way out of the bay at ~7mph, dad carried the GPS across the deck for a tack, looked at the display and it read 69mph! Figure that one out..
Easy your dad ran at 62mph to the front of the boat? :D

LVjetboy
07-08-2005, 11:56 PM
"Any guesses what the Garmin GPS read?"
It read 35 mph same as pitot. I'm thinking bogus...this beast must be doing 40 right? :wink:
jer

JayBee
07-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Every now and then my Extrex wiggs out and comes up with a really high max speed on the trip computer screen. I've taken it on long trips in my dually and seen a 135mph or so top speed many times. But, the trip meter and average speed are usually dead on.
BTW - most automotive speedos will read a couple of mph higher than actual speed for liability reasons. So, don't assume your GPS is the inaccurate one when you compare it to your car...