PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Boat problem

wantacat
07-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Over the weekend we went out to cottonwood. Sunday my boat was running fine. Im cruisin along and decided to give it some more gas, as soon as I do that I hear a loud beep, big loss in power (boat comes to a stop) and the engine is reved up. My boat will idle and still go into gear. I can put it in gear and idle along, as soon as I give it some gas it does not go anywhere and my engine will start to smoke. The smoke will come out of the pulleys/belt. So my engine revs up but does not go anywere...What is the problem? Im going to call tomorrow to take it in but would like to know what the hell happened. I was towed in to the marina, and idled my boat back on to the trailer.

Redneck
07-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Over the weekend we went out to cottonwood. Sunday my boat was running fine. Im cruisin along and decided to give it some more gas, as soon as I do that I hear a loud beep, big loss in power (boat comes to a stop) and the engine is reved up. My boat will idle and still go into gear. I can put it in gear and idle along, as soon as I give it some gas it does not go anywhere and my engine will start to smoke. The smoke will come out of the pulleys/belt. So my engine revs up but does not go anywere...What is the problem? Im going to call tomorrow to take it in but would like to know what the hell happened. I was towed in to the marina, and idled my boat back on to the trailer.
Jet or outdrive?

wantacat
07-04-2005, 08:41 PM
motor 496 bravo drive

Froggystyle
07-04-2005, 08:48 PM
My guess is water pump. Have you been running in low water, or anywhere you could get sand in it?
I haven't heard of it actually smoking, but it would certainly cause the beep (overheating warning tone) and de-fuel via the computer for a serious loss in power.
I am shooting from the hip here. I don't profess to know outdrives. I have had several freinds smoke the rubber impeller on their water pump though and the symptoms are similar.

Chubby4Life
07-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Is the smoking a burned oil smell. If so, maybe a oil cooler or related lines?? How was your oil pressure?

Redneck
07-04-2005, 08:50 PM
motor 496 bravo drive
you dont run your boat out of the water without water right like on the ramp or anything see many people do that not good for that rubber impeller

Chubby4Life
07-04-2005, 08:53 PM
I think Froggy might be right. I've burned an impeller up and overheated the motor to the symptoms you described. When you shut it down did it "diesel" at all?

doesitfloat?
07-04-2005, 08:55 PM
easy one...it's your engine coupler. Happenned to me last month. Motor needs to be partially pulled (tilted) to fix.

SummitKarl
07-04-2005, 08:58 PM
so far no one has mentioned "spun prop"?

doesitfloat?
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
To elaborate: the engine coupler is the connection between your engine and outdrive. It is metal (I think brass but could be wrong) but it is shrouded in rubber (I assume to minimize vibration). Eventually, the rubber part will fail (just like the old style prop hubs) and seperate from the metal. You can usually idle but when you accelerate, the rubber part just spins around the metal part thus making all of the smoke.
It also tends to fail upon acceleration which is what happened to you and I.

doesitfloat?
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
so far no one has mentioned "spun prop"?
A spun prop wouldn't cause smoke.

HocusPocus
07-04-2005, 09:03 PM
1. spun prop
2. coupler
3. impeller
all great answers.. and all have happend to me at one time or another. :)

SnakeWrench
07-04-2005, 09:10 PM
496 has a problem with the pumps. When the pump takes a dump, it sets off what is called gaurdian mode and it only allows the engine to run at 10%. The smoking is the belt because the sea pump is stuck because of the impeller getting jammed up. Pull the impeller pump and get a new one because it will not work to just replace the impeller.$455.00 pump. Everyone can tell you that changing the impeller will do, but it will not pick up enough water at an idle. The beep is caused by low water pressure and exhaust manifold overheat. Make sure when you do get it running that the exhaust hoses are not burnt. I have had to do this whole thing about 50 times for my customers and have always had to change the whole pump.
Any questions, e-mail me
Snake

KACHINA KEN
07-04-2005, 09:36 PM
I am shooting from the hip here. I thought you shot from the "high-ready" position???
:D :D :D

Froggystyle
07-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I thought you shot from the "high-ready" position???
I am not advanced enough on outdrive performance to even be there... I have just cleared the holster on this one. Pretty much firing for effect. ;)
Looks like I might have nailed it though.
I wouldn't know for sure... Jets don't have these little $455 problems ;)

wantacat
07-05-2005, 07:25 AM
you dont run your boat out of the water without water right like on the ramp or anything see many people do that not good for that rubber impeller
NO never! The smoke smells like rubber, not oil.

wantacat
07-05-2005, 07:30 AM
496 has a problem with the pumps. When the pump takes a dump, it sets off what is called gaurdian mode and it only allows the engine to run at 10%. The smoking is the belt because the sea pump is stuck because of the impeller getting jammed up. Pull the impeller pump and get a new one because it will not work to just replace the impeller.$455.00 pump. Everyone can tell you that changing the impeller will do, but it will not pick up enough water at an idle. The beep is caused by low water pressure and exhaust manifold overheat. Make sure when you do get it running that the exhaust hoses are not burnt. I have had to do this whole thing about 50 times for my customers and have always had to change the whole pump.
Any questions, e-mail me
Snake
The boat has 55hrs on it, is that normal for the pump to go out like that?

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2005, 07:38 AM
The boat has 55hrs on it, is that normal for the pump to go out like that?
Depends on how you use it. Before I switched to the KPM (run-dry) pumps, I used to change mine every season. Running dry and/or sand will shorted the impeller life dramatically.
PS- If your intake on your outdrive gets clogged (like a baggie floating in the water covers it), it will burn it up almost instantly.

wantacat
07-05-2005, 07:44 AM
So what is it coupler or impeller?

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2005, 07:57 AM
So what is it coupler or impeller?
Tough to say from here...55 hours is probably too short for coupler failure, unless the engine is misaligned.

Krumbsnatcher
07-05-2005, 08:15 AM
I vote for the impeller, only becuase the engine would of ran harder not slower.

wantacat
07-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Any questions, e-mail me
Snake
I tried to email you but it wont let me, says you have it blocked.

life's a river
07-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Take it to GT performance. If you can get in. 909-982-8391.
LAR

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Those pumps are pretty easy to take apart.
Here's (http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18967) some detailed instructions.
Actually, it's a few bolts (and some contortion...depending on your boat). You'll know in about 30 minutes if it's the pump.

prosthogod
07-05-2005, 09:43 AM
I thought you shot from the "high-ready" position???
Off subject, but did you take delivery?

C-2
07-05-2005, 09:46 AM
And if it's the impeller housing (the one which costs $450), you can get it brazed and machined instead of buying the whole housing.

wantacat
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM
The drive was just serviced, fluid and checked for alignment if that makes any difference.