PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure drop under acceleration.

QuickJet
07-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm havng a problem with oil pressure dropping under acceleration. While cruising (around 3,000 rpm) oil pressure in sustained at 60 psi. As I tip in the throttle it climbes for a second then starts decending. I thought at first that it might be my electric gauge so I replaced it with a machanical one mounted on the motor. The new gauge was indicating the same thing. Under hard acceleration oil pressure got as low as 0 !!!! I pulled the motor and found a stock pump with some chunks missing out of the gears. The pan was clean (no shavings or debris) as was the filter. I pulled a few bearing caps and they were pefect. I replaced the pump and pickup with a new High Volume melling, buttoned up the motor and took it out this last weekend to CFW. Same thing. Initial oil pressure is now at 70 but I still have the drop off all the way down to 20 psi. I spin the motor to 6,000 rpm and have yet to have any type of engine failure.
What would cause such a consistent drop in pressure???? I do not have a windage tray and have been told that the crankshaft may be blowing the oil to the sides of the block. ?????? Would that do it?
I'm running a 10 qt Jet pan with front and side traps.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thaks,
Scott
http://www.norcal1320.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10085/phone%20pic%2010.jpg

SummitKarl
07-05-2005, 12:20 AM
oil pump pick up to pan clearence is to close
to confirm this, check for abnormal wear on the Dist. gear,
before pulling the motor out again,
99% sure you got a clearence problem

BK
07-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I had the same problem and added a windage tray, not a problem anymore.

V-DRIVES RULE
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
definetly oil pan needs BAFFLES

abraman1326
07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
I had the same problem and added a windage tray, not a problem anymore.
On the account I will sound stupid, but I have a simular problem. What's a windage tray?
BRA

BUSBY
07-05-2005, 02:40 PM
A tray that bolts onto your main caps that stops the crank "wind" caused by higher rpm's that will tend to whip the oil around.

BUSBY
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Summit Karl is right, BK is right & V-drives is right.
Oil pump to pan clearance is very important, a windage tray is necessary, and baffles are mandatory.

QuickJet
07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
What would be the proper pan to pickup clearence? I have a windage tray for it and I'll be installing it and at the same time see how close that pump is.
Thanks.

Jordy
07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
How long are you running it that hard? Do you have an oil temp gauge? What weight oil are you running? :confused:

Duane HTP
07-05-2005, 05:15 PM
You also need to put in the little anti oil whip plate that Moroso makes. It goes between the oil pump and the block. It's cured 99 % of them for me with the sane problem.

abraman1326
07-06-2005, 08:40 AM
A tray that bolts onto your main caps that stops the crank "wind" caused by higher rpm's that will tend to whip the oil around.
Oh ok. Thank you for the FYI...
BRA

BUSBY
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
What would be the proper pan to pickup clearence? .
We run a deep pan ... but depending on the size of your pan (how many quarts) will depend on the clearance. Usually when you purchase your pan ... the pick up is included (Dooley Enterprises for example) ... but where you change things like the Moroso pump in which Duane is speaking ... there are adaptors that are needed.
Usually there is at least about a 2" drop under the pickup. If you have no baffles in your pan, upon decelleration, all of the oil will follow gravity and flow forward ... therefore you loose pump pressure, because there is no oil for the pump.
Now, supposing you have baffles, and clearance ... we need to look at items like Jordy is speaking of.
Brian