PDA

View Full Version : burtandnancy pull the plug

burtandnancy
07-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Well, after 40 years for burt and 25 for nancy, we're backing out of boating, hopefully this time, for good. We've tried for a couple of years now and maybe this time it will take.
Burt started boating with a Campbell, went thru a number of Spectra's, Schiada's, two Rayson's, an Eliminator, an American Offshore, a Cougar, many Hallett's and one non-hi-performance boat; a SeaRay Sundancer. It came out 32 boats in all. Two of these boats had serial #1 on them. Made one cover of Powerboat Magazine.
Burt met Nancy during the Catalina Ski Race in '79, where he pulled Chuck Stearns to his 10th overall win, followed up by another win in '81. Burt drove in ski racing for 13 years, both circle and marathon, tried a few GN races, a few offshore and even went to South Africa driving for the US Ski Race Team. In all those years of boating the only money ever won was at the Parker 7 Hour. We bought $1700 worth of race gas and won $2200. That was great boating!
So we went out over the 4th of July week-end. It was hot, Nancy's back hurt a little but she never complained as she washed the boat. We kind of looked at one another and agreed it was time to hang it up. It was fun, enjoyed everyone we met, every lake we visited from LOTO to Shasta, and miss every boat we owned. We'll peek in here just to see what's going on with all of you. Remember, I started boating before jet-ski's and SeaDoo's, before long lines at Windsor, Katherines and Hemminway. We saw both Lake Mead and Lake Powell go over the spillways and also saw them hit record lows during this drought. I don't think I want to put up with what's going on that you young guys are willing to put up with. We'd love to hear from any of you if you'd like to talk up the good old days. We'll always have boating in our souls.
Smooth water to all of you,
burtandnancy

Havasu Hangin'
07-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Burt...you always have a ride in my boat (it's not a Hallett, though).

Froggystyle
07-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Well, after 40 years for burt and 25 for nancy, we're backing out of boating, hopefully this time, for good. We've tried for a couple of years now and maybe this time it will take.
Burt started boating with a Campbell, went thru a number of Spectra's, Schiada's, two Rayson's, an Eliminator, an American Offshore, a Cougar, many Hallett's and one non-hi-performance boat; a SeaRay Sundancer. It came out 32 boats in all. Two of these boats had serial #1 on them. Made one cover of Powerboat Magazine.
Burt met Nancy during the Catalina Ski Race in '79, where he pulled Chuck Stearns to his 10th overall win, followed up by another win in '81. Burt drove in ski racing for 13 years, both circle and marathon, tried a few GN races, a few offshore and even went to South Africa driving for the US Ski Race Team. In all those years of boating the only money ever won was at the Parker 7 Hour. We bought $1700 worth of race gas and won $2200. That was great boating!
So we went out over the 4th of July week-end. It was hot, Nancy's back hurt a little but she never complained as she washed the boat. We kind of looked at one another and agreed it was time to hang it up. It was fun, enjoyed everyone we met, every lake we visited from LOTO to Shasta, and miss every boat we owned. We'll peek in here just to see what's going on with all of you. Remember, I started boating before jet-ski's and SeaDoo's, before long lines at Windsor, Katherines and Hemminway. We saw both Lake Mead and Lake Powell go over the spillways and also saw them hit record lows during this drought. I don't think I want to put up with what's going on that you young guys are willing to put up with. We'd love to hear from any of you if you'd like to talk up the good old days. We'll always have boating in our souls.
burtandnancy
Wow... near as I can tell this is a loss to the community Burt. I understand, but I was really looking forward to meeting you out on the water one of these days.
Perhaps you need to move towards a less active role in boating, such as as a preferred passenger. Maybe with the drama in someone elses hands for a little while you could relax a bit more and not worry about cleaning the boat or waiting in line.
Anytime you want to come with us, you can show up at the dock with a beer in your hand and be well taken care of. Thanks for contributing as much as you have to the community for all of these years, and we will miss you though I have never met you.
Regards,
Wes and Audrey

C-2
07-05-2005, 08:35 AM
It's always been a pleasure speaking with you Burt and had hoped to meet Nancy one day!
Thanks for sharing your stories, as always, very entertaining. Since I know your kids have boats, I'm sure you won't be short on rides anytime soon.
So you are leaving performance boating, but in the near future, do I see the two of you sipping icy cold frosty's, somehere in the Gulf of Mexico, onboard a big fat Sunseeker?
:)

KACHINA KEN
07-05-2005, 08:35 AM
burtandnancy
Does this mean no Sunseeker then? Alot has changed in boating and the way the lakes are for sure guys, but it shouldn't affect your fun, hell you were here first right :) Take a break for sure but never say never, it may just be time for a different type of boating then what you guys were doing is all. Take a break but dont be a stranger and I'm still gonna hit you up on AOL AIM from time to time. Maybe I'll just forward your phone # to every Sunseeker dealer I can find! Good luck and enjoy your break.

SummitKarl
07-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Burt,
I too Have seen the changes over the last 30 yrs, my solution was to move to Havasu and enjoy the weeedays of no lines, front row parking and open spaces.
quiting boating is a bit like quiting smoking but they don't make a patch for boater's yet. the following is my standard theory on life "there is always a way to out wit the masses"
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734ngu.jpg

Jbb
07-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Must have been all the dog threads... :cool:

wildbillg
07-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Wife and I had the same delima a few years ago,
wife had to have back surgery and that is when I decided to sell the boat and put a pool in the back yard instead of drivin to the lake we got a little one in the back yard now.
Well it is sevral years later now, with the modes of medications out there she feels she is ready to travers back to the lake, so we THOUGHT we were done, but we cant seem to agree on what to buy, I want a pontoon (easyier on her back) and she THINKS she is ready for the speedy boat again.
Burt and Nancy
You will never be out of the boating community, its in your blood. I hope you have a great inbetween time now and when you decide to come back to the water.....

spectras only
07-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Burt and Nancy, if you ever come to vancouver , be a guest on my boat. You've got to see this place in person one day .Here's a reminder of what Bert used to do way back :wink:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Burtcourtspectra32.2.jpg

Mandelon
07-05-2005, 08:59 AM
I understand your frustrations, times have changed for sure. Perhaps a break is in order, and a return some time in the future.
I think one who wants solitude and peace and quiet just needs to work a little harder and drive a little further than before. Change the time and place and history may be prolonged and the future delayed.
Best of luck either way.
RB

Phat Matt
07-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Bobaloo, I think we found the culprit. ;)
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84385
It was admitted in the subject. :jawdrop:

MagicMtnDan
07-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know you but I've always enjoyed your posts. I do envy you for all the years of positive boating experiences you've had.
Best of luck to you both.

Up 4 River
07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
This is a sad post for me to read, but one that seems like it will be all to familiar as many of the true river people and Parker/Havasu pioneers get tired of the BS. I know there came a time when my Grandfather barely went anymore after owning a place for 40 years down at Walters Camp in Blythe. My Dad speaks more and more of the change he's seen in his 46 years of river going.
From what I've read about you and your boating history Burt I will say the word "jealous" comes to mind. The stories, trips, boats and people you met along the way could be told over a good number of beers on a dock somewhere.

markc
07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I remember them days with the cask and cleaver Schiada with the fuel tank on top of the trailer, as a matter of fact I may have skied behind that boat in the 80's I also remember the (Sneakers) boat I dont know if you had anything to do with that resteraunt(sp) we had the worlds send off party there I think in 1988? I am good friends with Ward family, I know you know who they are they got me in this sport.
Hope to see you in Long Beach this weekend....
Mark

burtandnancy
07-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your generous comments. You brought back a lot of memories.
HH, I will always plagerize your saying regarding the beating. Been using it for years.
Thanks Froggy. I had already cleared up the problem of long lines and boat washing, but can't cool off Julys.
C2, I'll still show up for Desert Heat Poker Runs. As for the Sunseeker, there is a showing this week-end at Newport Beach (after the Catalina). I'll probably see Kachina Ken there too.
Wildbill, Nancy & I both had back surgery and successfully boated for many more years. But the aches don't go away as fast any more. Its time.
Spectras, great memories. Nancy wants to come meet you when we go to Seattle this year.
Mandelon, we tried the break but hated peace & quiet. Just movin' on.
Up4River, yes, lots of changes, some good, some bad. PWC's and mufflers; bad. A light chop and turbo motors; good.
MarkC, can't put a face on you yet, but it'll come back. One of my sponsor owners at C 'n C was also owner of Sneakers, therfore additional boat sponsor. You'll probably see me at the Catalina Saturday.
As for more boating, I am till affiliated with Nick Barron and get the opportulnity of taking various Halletts to the Hot Boat and Power Boat test sites at Havasu and Blue Water a few times a year. Its a tough job, but the pay is great. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts...

Sane Asylum
07-05-2005, 05:48 PM
burtandnancy
Burt......
We've never met but that was a great note.......I'm a little jealous of your experiences.
I hope whatever new passion you've chosen helps you find some of that inner peace that boating gave you........

OGShocker
07-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Good luck and godspeed B&N!

SPECTRABRENT
07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
BurtandNancy,
I am sorry to hear your getting out of boating.
Thanks for the info. regarding Spectra.
Good luck,
Brent

phebus
07-05-2005, 09:00 PM
A sad day for boating. :frown:
Please do us all a favor, and post some more of your bio, and pass along some good stories from the past. I would love to sit down and share some beers with you.

Dusty Times
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Burt,
I'm glad as well as my family is to have met you and to have had you welcome us on your boat a couple years ago at Sandy Point. I don't think the friends you have will let you stay away from water. I think you may just need to work a little less to enjoy what you always will.
You will always have a spot on my boat and if anyone calls you needing a boat for a TV spot you can take mine.

hottrodder
07-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Well said and even better understood. Be safe in whatever you move'on too and I hope it makes you as happy as boating (did).

Magic34
07-06-2005, 03:37 PM
burtandnancy,
My dad tried the same thing about a year ago, and is now building another boat. I have a feeling our families know eachother now that you told your story. We were regulars at Mead growing up back in the early 80's.
Do you know Skip and Adrian out of Vegas? They sold their 30' Hallett about 2 years ago as well. My family has kind of taken the same path as you, with the Spectre, and Halletts, but throw a 34' Silverwing mold in there back in 1984 or so.
Maybe we'll see you out there again some day, but thanks for helping start and keep the tradition we all know as Colorado River boating.

burtandnancy
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Magic 34, Of course I know Skip and Adrian, they are wonderful people. He was my idle in the good old days when we mixed Hot Boat racing into the circles. No one, before or since, could put a flat bottom or mini back on the trailer like Skip. It was a show to be seen. It was their skier that we pulled in South Africa in about '83. They sold their 30 Hallett to another ski family in Boulder City (Stu and Carol Llyles) who just resold it again to Doug Peters in Parker. Thanks for bringing them up here...

Magic34
07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Magic 34, Of course I know Skip and Adrian, they are wonderful people. He was my idle in the good old days when we mixed Hot Boat racing into the circles. No one, before or since, could put a flat bottom or mini back on the trailer like Skip. It was a show to be seen. It was their skier that we pulled in South Africa in about '83. They sold their 30 Hallett to another ski family in Boulder City (Stu and Carol Llyles) who just resold it again to Doug Peters in Parker. Thanks for bringing them up here...
They are my aunt and uncle. Adrian is my dad's sister. I'm part of the Yanke side. Thanks again! If you are anything like them, you'll get started in something else... :wink: