PDA

View Full Version : Lake McClure outside of Fresno??

MOBrien
07-05-2005, 10:16 AM
camping out there this coming weekend but have never been. Anyone have some info on this place? Good, bad, indifferent?
Thanks.

RACER52
07-05-2005, 10:25 AM
We just spent another 4th there on a houseboat. Eliminate this and us were there and I love the place. Very mild and beautiful. Actually thought about going back up next weekend too but not sure if the wife is up for it..
You will love it..
Racer

Just Tool'n
07-05-2005, 11:26 AM
It's been a number of years since I have been there, but we used to go houseboating there, Very good place to go boating at, It is east of Merced, maybe 45-60 minutes east of Merced up Hwy 59.

UltraStealth
07-05-2005, 11:38 AM
It's a great lake. Doesn't get crowded like some of the bigger lakes. The lake is a pretty good size lake as well.

MOBrien
07-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Right on. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting roped into camping at a mud hole for the weekend. Now I'm psyched. :D
R52, let me know if you guys head out there. We're gonna have a crew of about 6-8 boats.
Later,
MOB

Mrs Luvnlife
07-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Mike....please take pics :D ...I've heard all kinds of good things about McClure too, heard it's pretty up there. Also heard there's a strip of cool bars to hit in the town, not sure though, just what I was told :rollside: .

ELIMINAT THIS
07-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Mobrien like Racer52 said beautiful lake,not alot of boats (nice for a change)Btw watch out for rattle snakes that like to swim right over the transom of 19' daytona's into the engine compartment. :jawdrop:
Racer 52 Phoebe just emailed you 75 pics from McClure what a great weekend. :D

UltraStealth
07-05-2005, 11:51 AM
One cool thing about the lake is the campsites have trees so you get some releif from the sun. The temps are mild and the lake is nice. You don't have the crowds there like you do at Havasu, Mead, Mohave and the water is refreshing and it doesn't get rough.

69 Elim
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
I too was there over the weekend. Water is nice - not ruff. not too many people go there. Non holiday weekends, you can go the entire day and only see a couple wake board boats. Its 45 minutes outside of Merced. Camping is OK to Good - I've only camped at McClure Point. Lots of houseboats. Although I don't know anyone with them there.
As for bars - Well, I'm assuming you mean back in Merced - I've never been to any bars there. I do love to eat at the BBQ Pit in Merced (G street and about highway 99). excellent BBQ food (love the ribs) and really reasonable prices - although kinda looks like a dive inside.
Oh, stay near the damn area - Bagby has lots of floating crap in the lake.
You'll have a great time!