PDA

View Full Version : lake powell

shipfaced
07-05-2005, 04:50 PM
anyone going up to lake powell july 22 to aug.1?how high is the water?

B-RAD
07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
I will most likely be there for both thease trips. July 22 through July 25. and then I'm going to try to be there for Powell fest also. We just got home from the 4th trip and can't wait to be back

1ASKYDV
07-06-2005, 10:36 AM
anyone going up to lake powell july 22 to aug.1?how high is the water?
I'll be there, but we will be in the northern part up by Bullfrog marina!

B-RAD
07-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Bullfrog is where I put in at But we usually go down river Escalante river area

1ASKYDV
07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Bullfrog is where I put in at But we usually go down river Escalante river area
Since this is my first trip up that way, do you have any advice on good places to camp in the area?

waguy69
07-06-2005, 02:02 PM
just got back from Powell went out of bullfrog. the first two nights we stayed in smokey canyon. the water on the lake s rising fast about 8" a day and washing all the crap off the beaches the whole bake of the canyon was filled with logges and ash from fire pits. then we moved to knowles canyon it was a lot cleaner with some nice beaches. make sure you take a rake the beaches are very overgrown with tumble weeds and they have lots of thorns.

1ASKYDV
07-06-2005, 02:45 PM
just got back from Powell went out of bullfrog. the first two nights we stayed in smokey canyon. the water on the lake s rising fast about 8" a day and washing all the crap off the beaches the whole bake of the canyon was filled with logges and ash from fire pits. then we moved to knowles canyon it was a lot cleaner with some nice beaches. make sure you take a rake the beaches are very overgrown with tumble weeds and they have lots of thorns.
thanks for the info.

B-RAD
07-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I am what us Utahn's call a Powell brat my family has been going to Powell seemingly forever. I prefer mid lake the best far enough away to get some unique camp spots. I was down there for the 4th weekend and will be back for the 24th weekend (utah state holiday) . Halls creek has some nice beaches and decent skiing hansen creek has some beach area. tell me were you were thinking, I'll do my best to tell you what I can also I can show you around a bit But you prob. wont like camping with us I have a loud 2 year old boy who does not like to sleep at night. I camped in Iceberg canyon in 2 different coves on the 4th. my wife and I like to just pitch the anchor where ever we are when dark hits

RiverPirate
07-06-2005, 10:12 PM
The family and I are making our maiden voyage to Powell the 18-25 of July. Don't know what to expect and I think we are launching on the north end of the lake. I should probably know, but that is still 2 weeks away. We are definately bringing a rake. Thanks for the heads up. Any other ideas on beaches to camp on the north end would be appreciated.

NuckinFutz
07-07-2005, 10:10 AM
RiverPirate, it all depends on how far from Bullfrog or Halls Crossing you want to travel to set up camp. The top end of Bullfrog bay has some beaches, but not many without tumbleweeds now. Halls Creek bay has some beaches as well. Down the lake in Slickrock Canyon (about 15 miles) there are some decent camps on the sand. There's a good shade camp that is in Crystal Springs canyon up the lake (about 12 miles), if it isn't occupied. Knowles canyon should be good now (20 miles up lake). It all depends on what you are after. I will be down for the weekend of the 15th-18th. If you see me throw a shocker and I'll throw you a beer. I don't know where we are camping as we are meeting up with some friends that are heading down tomorrow night and spending ten days.

Mardonzi
07-07-2005, 11:17 AM
The family and I are making our maiden voyage to Powell the 18-25 of July. Don't know what to expect and I think we are launching on the north end of the lake. I should probably know, but that is still 2 weeks away. We are definately bringing a rake. Thanks for the heads up. Any other ideas on beaches to camp on the north end would be appreciated.
If you end up launching at the south end,, look us up,, there will be quite a few of us checking out beaches for our August trip... I think we are even planning on crashing Deez Nutz's Luau party....

DEEZ NUTTS
07-07-2005, 02:22 PM
July 23 we have a huge shindig going down but I dont know where yet. Will be the south end for shure though. Everybody is welcome.

B-RAD
07-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey nuckingfuts how you been one of your co-workers busted me on the 4th almost back to I- 70 officer Bentley. I'm not complaining I WAS SPEEDING and he was cool, (theres somthing you as a tropper probbally don't hear often) I wanted to name drop to try to help myself but couldn't remmber your real name. I didn't think "hey ya know Nuckingfuts I met him once" would work :cool: I will be at Powell thurs late 7-21 til mon 7-25 don't now were we'll camp for sure but if ya see me come say hi. there are great camp spots every where just depends on where you want to be.

B-RAD
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
ya I'll have to be alittle mellow on the 24th week end will have jr with us but I working on grandma for th aug trip

RiverPirate
07-07-2005, 10:33 PM
NuckinFutz we are launching out of Bullfrog on Sunday the 17th. We are guests so I wont have much input on where we camp. I will pass on the info re: the coves and sandy beachs that are available. The avatar is misleading, its the old boat. We tied up next to you for the poker run ealier this year at Havasu. We have the white 240 Hallett with a little red and blue. We talked to you and LHC30 quite a bit while we were anchored. It should be a great trip for us first timers to Powell. Is Rainbow Bridge a long haul from Bullfrog and do I need to worry about sandbars and the like getting there? Is it worth the trip?
Thanks, Greg

shipfaced
07-12-2005, 07:04 PM
would like to be there but going with 4 other couples can't change every one's plans. we r camping at lone rock. i was there 3 yrs.ago and camped had a great time we did one week house boat and one week camp.

NuckinFutz
07-13-2005, 09:17 AM
RiverPirate, We will watch for you. We are heading down Friday morning and coming home on Monday. The trip to Rainbow Bridge is a good ride. About 50 miles one way, but no sandbars to worry about. If you want to top off on gas while you are down at Rainbow, you can come out of the Bridge canyon and head south about another 5 miles and get gas at Dangling Rope Marina. Higher priced gas than Bullfrog or Halls Crossing. The hike to the bridge is about 10 minutes from the boat docks now. We made the trip last time down, the bridge is neat, but the ride down is just as cool. Up the lake towards Bullfrog is a place where some early settlers to Utah dropped wagons and such down into the canyon and it's cool to think someone found that place and went to all the work to cross there (Hole in the Wall). Be sure to find me and I'll show you some cool places close to Bullfrog, but don't know if we'll have time to shoot down to Rainbow with ya. I'll let you know where we are camping as soon as my friends call and say where they are camping. They are there now and I'm just waiting for the phone call. Keep an eye out for me. All my friends are heading home on Sunday, and if they have a good camp you are welcome to come take over our camp. What other boats do you have going with you so I know what else to look for?

NuckinFutz
07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
B-Rad, sorry about getting popped on your way home. I saw you headed down, but was busy, so I didn't chase you down to say hello. I'm surprised Mr. Ed (Bentley) was decent. I'm not sure dropping my name would have helped as he sees me as the Anti-Christ! He definately wouldn't have known the boat name, as he thinks all us boaters are a weird sort of people.

B-RAD
07-13-2005, 06:10 PM
B-Rad, sorry about getting popped on your way home. I saw you headed down, but was busy, so I didn't chase you down to say hello. I'm surprised Mr. Ed (Bentley) was decent. I'm not sure dropping my name would have helped as he sees me as the Anti-Christ! He definately wouldn't have known the boat name, as he thinks all us boaters are a weird sort of people.
we'll definitly look for ya may this time we can actually hang out and talk boats, Jeeps, and what ever else (beer) ya probably wont want to camp with us as my 2 year old somes time doesn't like to sleep but you are welcome to if ya want er dare

RiverPirate
07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
RiverPirate, We will watch for you. We are heading down Friday morning and coming home on Monday. The trip to Rainbow Bridge is a good ride. About 50 miles one way, but no sandbars to worry about. If you want to top off on gas while you are down at Rainbow, you can come out of the Bridge canyon and head south about another 5 miles and get gas at Dangling Rope Marina. Higher priced gas than Bullfrog or Halls Crossing. The hike to the bridge is about 10 minutes from the boat docks now. We made the trip last time down, the bridge is neat, but the ride down is just as cool. Up the lake towards Bullfrog is a place where some early settlers to Utah dropped wagons and such down into the canyon and it's cool to think someone found that place and went to all the work to cross there (Hole in the Wall). Be sure to find me and I'll show you some cool places close to Bullfrog, but don't know if we'll have time to shoot down to Rainbow with ya. I'll let you know where we are camping as soon as my friends call and say where they are camping. They are there now and I'm just waiting for the phone call. Keep an eye out for me. All my friends are heading home on Sunday, and if they have a good camp you are welcome to come take over our camp. What other boats do you have going with you so I know what else to look for?
NuckinFutz, we are getting on the house boat Suday morning out of Bullfrog. In addition to my white 240 Hallett there will be a 1995 270 Hallett standard red and white, an 80's blue Hallett bubble deck and a couple of Sea Doos. I understand the house boat is one of the big timeshare types so we shouldnt be hard to miss. If you are giving up a cool beach that you have already cleared of debris :p I am sure we would be interested. I will checking the post until Friday night before we leave. Thanks for the info/help.

NuckinFutz
07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
RiverPirate, I got the word last night my camp is in the end of Crystal Springs Canyon. This is about 15 miles from Bullfrog. They said they have a good camp. If it is the one I believe it is, there is good shade nearly all day long. I didn't talk to them, they left a message on my voice mail. What time are you planning on leaving Bullfrog? If the camp is good and I know what time you're shoving off I could run down to Bullfrog and look you up, or you can just send a boat up to scout it out. I'll be camping with a couple bigger cabin cruisers (don't hold it against me BAYLINERS). Boats that are made from something other than chopper guns are slow to catch on here in Utah.
Are you hooking up with a fellow Utah boater from the Spanish Fork area that has a Hallett? My brother in law works with one that has a Hallett and said he was selling it and buying another. My wifes met him and she said he is a good guy. I don't remember his name.

RiverPirate
07-14-2005, 08:40 PM
NuckinFutz I have been informed that we board the house boat at noon and shiove off by about 1300 hrs. The first day we find something someone close and tie up so we can get situated. On Monday they scout for a beach for the rest of the week. Bought some detailed Powell maps so I should be able to find all of these coves. I like the idea of having some shade during the day so I will be selling your beach. Not meeting up with anyone else other than the group on the boat. Hopfully we will run into you guys and some of the other peeps that will be up. The Hallett is nice but all of your friends on the Bayliners are probably having just as much fun as we are. :) If I can figure it out I am going to try and update my avatar.

NuckinFutz
07-15-2005, 08:54 PM
RiverPirate, if the camp they have staked out is all they claim it is I'll shoot down to the houseboat slips on Sunday and give you the heads up. You should be able to find a spot in Bullfrog Bay good enough for the first night pretty easy as a lot of people pull out Sunday. I'll watch for ya in any event and have a safe trip driving up here. PS. Bring lots of sunscreen and be prepared for some heat, it has been running about 105-113 here the last couple of days.

RiverPirate
07-15-2005, 09:17 PM
N F I appreciate it. It sounds like a greatr spot. I am hoping the weather will break by Sunday. Next week is supposed to be back down around a 100. That will help a little. Thanks.