PDA

View Full Version : Engine hoist in T.O.

Ian
02-20-2003, 06:39 PM
I need an engine hoist this weekend, is there anyone in the Thousand Oaks area with one I can borrow. Thanks in advance.

e-ticket
02-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I have one you can borrow.
Give me a call. 805-482-8799

JetBoatRich
02-20-2003, 07:07 PM
What are you pulling IAN, the flat?

Fired Up
02-20-2003, 08:46 PM
E-ticket,
I might be up for borrowing your cherry picker too. Read my sad story under this topic titled "850DP tuning". At least I don't live far...Ian's first.
Fired Up

Ian
02-20-2003, 09:57 PM
I'm pulling the motor so I can reflo the floor and have all the hardware powdercoated. Thanks e-ticket I'll give you a call tommorow. Don't worry fired-up I won't be long :D

Fiat48
02-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Ian:
I'm pulling the motor so I can reflo the floor and have all the hardware powdercoated. Thanks e-ticket I'll give you a call tommorow. Don't worry fired-up I won't be long :D Please explain the reflo the floor. I am also powdercoating and have "white spots" and flaking in the floor area. I think gas or alcohol got to it. Thanks!

e-ticket
02-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Ian,
Will be working on the boat tomorrow so planning being home all day. If I don't answer, make sure you leave message with phone # so I can get back to you.
Fired Up,
Sorry to hear about your engine problems. You are more than welcome to borrow the hoist.

Dragboat Dad
02-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Fiat48 what they do when they reflo the floor is they spray in a thick coat of resin that brings back the shine to the bottom of your boat and fills in the spoots where the resin has startede flaking away. What you need to do is take everything out of your boat (you can leave the strut, fin and stuffing box)then make sure you clean the floor real well, you then need to sand the whole thing with 80 grit. From what I here it's kind of hard to spray this stuff so you might be better off paying a painter to do it for you.

Schiada76
02-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Ian/Fired Up
You can borrow mine if you don't hook up with e ticket. I'm in Encino. :D
[ February 21, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: BradP ]

Fiat48
02-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Dragboat Dad:
Fiat48 what they do when they reflo the floor is they spray in a thick coat of resin that brings back the shine to the bottom of your boat and fills in the spoots where the resin has startede flaking away. What you need to do is take everything out of your boat (you can leave the strut, fin and stuffing box)then make sure you clean the floor real well, you then need to sand the whole thing with 80 grit. From what I here it's kind of hard to spray this stuff so you might be better off paying a painter to do it for you. Thanks! I have it all apart anyway, might as well get it done. :D

Ian
02-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Picked up the engine hoist from e-ticket today and on my way home I was thinking how much this forum and the people on it have helped me out. Thanks again e-ticket, I really appreciate you letting DragBoatDad (my dad)and I use it, we should be finished with it tommorow. I went by Harbor Frieght on the way home but the line was out the door and I had to be in Moorpark by five so I was unable to get a load leveler or engine stand. My brother is a fabricator so I'm going to have him make me a load leveler and I'll just build something out of wood to hold the motor until I can get a stand. I definately owe you one e-ticket!

e-ticket
02-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Ian,
Good meeting you. Harbor Freight does get rediculously long lines. Probably the best time, is early in the morning if you still want to get one for tomorrow. I think they open up at 8 am.
Their website probably has their hours. Haven't heard anything from Fired Up.
Fired Up,
The stand should be back tomorrow afternoon sometime. Do you still need it?

Fired Up
02-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm at work saving the city so I haven't had time to jump on until now. I spoke to the guy who built my engine and he wants to see it Monday A.M. Based on what he says will determine if I'm pulling the motor or he is. Thanks for all your help. Ian, you are right about the great responses the help and all you can learn from some good people on this site. You are very fortunate to have your dad by your side to help you.

Dragboat Dad
02-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Fired Up what department do you work for? I used to be an L.A. City Explorer and am currently going through the hiring process with them. Whoops I posted without checking if it was me or my dad that was logged in. No my dad is not trying to become a firefighter
[ February 21, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Dragboat Dad ]

Fired Up
02-22-2003, 08:09 PM
I'm just down the hill from you. I work for Ventura County stationed in Mission Oaks at the "Fightn'52". My Uncle worked for LA City for 27, my cousin is a Capt. with them now. Did my medic training with 2's back in the 80's. Where are you in the process so far?

Ian
02-22-2003, 08:18 PM
I am starting my background investigation on Tuesday. Let the fun begin, fortunately I was a pretty good kid :D

Fired Up
02-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Good Luck! The fun hasn't even started yet.....!

pgf127rt
02-23-2003, 10:00 AM
Sam, what was wrong with your engine?
Nothing serious I hope.

Fired Up
02-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Had to work this weekend so I haven't had a chance to dig into it. The guy who built the engine for me wants to see it in the morning (monday). I'll know more tomorrow and keep you posted.

Fired Up
02-24-2003, 12:31 PM
JD,
Good news. The problem appears to be the filter adapter. Took the boat to my engine guy. He looked at the filter first and removed it (Wix). The gasket was twisted so he suspected it blew out. Put a new one on and turned the motor over.
No leaks. Fired it next and the pressure came right up to 90 psi and still no leaks. Then the gusher started again.....We pulled the new filter suspecting something was wrong with the adapter. He went to unbolt it from the block and it broke in two. That appears to be what the problem was. The stock filter adapter. He said he has heard of adapters breaking, but never seen one. A first for him. I ordered a billet adapter from Rex Marine and I'll have it in tomorrow. Then it will be back to the carb tuning.
sam