PDA

View Full Version : hardened valve seats??

mile2885
07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Ok, so once again forgive me for my ignorance..............I bought a set of 049 heads that had a "fresh" rebuild on them for $150. Took them to the machine shop to have them looked over and the guy at the shop couldn't stop griping about having hardened seats on the intake and exhaust............is this bad should I take the heads somewhere else to have them checked out?? I was under the impression that when you have hardened seats installed it was on both the intake and exhaust but the guy at the machine shop seems to think its a bad idea. Any ideas??

TIMINATOR
07-05-2005, 09:31 PM
You only need hardened seats on the exhausts. You do need a new machine shop. TIMINATOR

Jet City
07-05-2005, 10:14 PM
If your looking for a high quality performance builder in WA, I'd recommend DG Machine in Auburn, talk to Dale Green or Scott.

cruser
07-05-2005, 10:21 PM
rebel,
Know anything about ADPerformance in Kenmore (near Bothell)? Looking at them for some work on a new motor. You can PM me if you don't want to make statements on a public forum. Thanks.
cruzer

Flip
07-06-2005, 06:01 AM
Ok, so once again forgive me for my ignorance..............I bought a set of 049 heads that had a "fresh" rebuild on them for $150. Took them to the machine shop to have them looked over and the guy at the shop couldn't stop griping about having hardened seats on the intake and exhaust............is this bad should I take the heads somewhere else to have them checked out?? I was under the impression that when you have hardened seats installed it was on both the intake and exhaust but the guy at the machine shop seems to think its a bad idea. Any ideas??
So.... just to get this straight... you're saying the heads ALREADY have hardend seats on BOTH the intake AND exhaust valves? And the guy at the machine shop has a problem with that?

Jet City
07-06-2005, 06:20 AM
rebel,
Know anything about ADPerformance in Kenmore (near Bothell)? Looking at them for some work on a new motor. You can PM me if you don't want to make statements on a public forum. Thanks.
cruzer
Sorry Cruzer, I'm not familiar with that shop and haven't heard anything of their work good or bad. If you were refered to them by a customer who knows the difference between good and shoddy machine work, I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

cruser
07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
I have no references, that's the problem.
They have some good prices on DArt/Scat stuff I need and do offer machining/assembly services also. I would like some feed back good or bad before I spend several thousand $$$$ with them.
cruzer