PDA

View Full Version : More power, but at what price?

BOFH
03-20-2002, 09:47 AM
Watching the posts about crankin up a Rinker has been fun, but it did remind me of something...
A guy on the lake bought a VIP Vindicator. Soon after, he found out that they look a lot faster then they drive, so he started beefing it up. Put on high ratio rockers, then heads, then duel carbs, then a blower... He went through 3 engines that summer. Over the winter, (one month in Houston) he had the engine pulled, and he built it up. Actually listened this time, and built a real beauty. Of course he did not listen when anyone talked about the outdrive...
That summer, his outdrive came apart in the bay. It took out most of the transom, and sunk before he could radio. He was NOT in a life vest. He is alive, but it was close...
The point of all of this is that while we can have a lot of fun, and do some amazing things, this sport is inherently dangerous. We have all heard (or seen) about the boats that were pounded apart. Some of us know from first hand experience how hard water is over 60... Lets remind the new guys as well, before they get the blower for the 17 foot ski boat. :-)

spectras only
03-20-2002, 10:00 AM
BOFH, I see young guys with super light 16-17 foot hulls with 200HP outboards clamped on [unmodified versions] going insane speeds on the rivers here.Can't tell them their boats only rated for 115 max!They just want to prove a point their boats can beat your boat.

77charger
03-20-2002, 09:50 PM
it will take incidents like that for people to learn.But everyone wants to go faster.I know i do but i am coming up on my limit for my boat(safetywise)

B-rad502
03-20-2002, 10:44 PM
I'm here to agree with the points made and the fact that Vindicators are slower than they look!! Ours looks like a 70+ mph boat, but it's not!! We still love it though! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Chillin The Most
03-21-2002, 04:43 AM
Your right the Rinker posts have been fun. Reason being, I do want to do it right the first time around.
I don't believe 500-550 Hp or 75 mph is going over its limits, as far as a blower, you'll never see one on my motor. I to have seen to many blown motors, all because they are not set up with the right combinations.
As far as my outdrive Merc says the Bravo 1 can handle 600 HP. Just my .02 cents.

Racing Ray
03-21-2002, 05:54 AM
Chillen
If you notice I too am concerned with safety. Thats why I recommended to you that without the Sternjack at 75 you will need the external steering. With the Sternjack it is REQUIRED!
Mercrusier will tell you above 70 to install external steering. I intend to strictly limit the use of my boat until it is installed. In the meantime there are 2 3/8ths nuts that connect the outdrive to the steering arm these should be checked for tightness after EVERY outing.
If you are not familer with these nuts I can post a picture showing you the location of them.
When it comes to boating I wish the statement about using your head didn't only apply to pissing in the toilet.

Chillin The Most
03-21-2002, 06:05 AM
Ray,
Go ahead and post the pic. I would like to see it, since I can't get at my boat to mid-April due to being in storage. They won't let you have them till then.
Next year it is staying home in my heated garage. We didn't really have a winter here in the northeast. I could of been boating all winter.

BOFH
03-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Chill,
I want to make sure you know I was not pointing at your, or anyone here. More allong the lines of all the people we are about to see soon! When out, a lot of people look at my boat and say "I have been thinking about..." I want to make sure these people also see the life vests, flares, fire supression system, radio, and if a fast lake boat, engine cutoff lanyerd. I mention people I know who have died, if they want a big offshore boat for the first boat. I do want people in the sport, I just don't want to see them in the paper.
As to your boat, you are doing the right thing in building a system on paper before you turn the wrench. Knowing the weakest link is key to gong fast safely. As was said, "the factory sterring system is the weakest link, Goodbye." :-)
As a side note, I had a chance to test a few of the auto-inflate suspenders. (The test was jumping from a boat at about 35) They are very nice! Out of the way, and keep you afloat. More comfort than a float coat in summer. :-)

Chillin The Most
03-21-2002, 01:37 PM
BOFH,
I never thought for one second that you where finger pointing. I was just saying what I want to do and want to do it right the first time.
Thanks for the suspender tip. By the way I always wear me band for the engine kill switch. I seen a guy go flying out of a boat and the boat just kept going right into someones river lot. Thank god no one was hurt except the boat.
I know what you mean on steering. A guy I know built up a 16 or 17 ft boat. Had this big 427 sticking way up in the air, all chromed out, blower and all. Took me for a ride, at about 70 mph I thought we were going to upset. He had his hands glued to the steering wheel the boat was all over the water and he was still staying in it. I got him to stop & I put on a life jacket.. told him take me back and if you go over 30 mph I'll kick your ass. Two weeks later he blew it up and sold it. This guy is 45 years old and been around boats all his life, you think he would of known better than to take my life into his hands.
Once again no problem! See ya! Mike