PDA

View Full Version : THOUGHTS on Desert Storm Poker Run

dirty old man
05-02-2006, 08:51 AM
They got real lucky with the weather following rain and wind storms by just a few days. Their organization was really good, the venue was good, the turn out fabulous, and beautiful boats from all over the country. Socializing at the beach, bars, restaurants, pits, hotels and everywhere was good. The crowds for the most part were under control and the spectators got a great show. My only disappointment (other than the broken boats) was the length of the run. After towing for hundreds of miles (thousands for others) it seemed the actual run was a little short and not awfully challenging. Other than that, looking forward to the next one

Havasu_Dreamin
05-02-2006, 08:55 AM
After towing for hundreds of miles (thousands for others) it seemed the actual run was a little short and not awfully challenging.
The lake has a finite distance to it.

Havasu Hangin'
05-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I think we got three cards in like 15 minutes...the big boys make Havasu seem very small. I think we may have even outran the helecopter...lol.
I thought the event was first-rate. Hats off to Jim and crew.

Big Warlock
05-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Make the first card stop at the sand bar and the second at the dam! :crossx:

carbonmarine
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
THEY SKIMPT ON T-SHIRT QUALITY..
* THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE HANES BEFFY T"s .. That way I'd be sure to have the shirt for long time to come.....
LET THAT BE A LESSON !!! :cool:

dirty old man
05-02-2006, 10:26 AM
H Dreamin, good point. Is Topoc out of the question for the big boys.
It definately was a super event, long or short

Havasu_Dreamin
05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
H Dreamin, good point. Is Topoc out of the question for the big boys.
It definately was a super event, long or short
Don't know. :confused: Maybe it is because you have to go thru the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge to get there.

PHOTOGLOU
05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
If that was done could you imagine group one on its way back to the springs and group five or six still comming up..... I think it is too narrow to be safe

prosthogod
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
How about an organized and fair flag drop at the start?

Havasu Cig
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
How about an organized and fair flag drop at the start?
Yep, like it used to be. I already said it before, but I won't wake up early to watch next year if the start is going to be the same. I had a friend in my boat that lived at LOTO for a while and I was hyping him up for the run, and I think he was a little let down. Loved the lake, but thought the run was weak. My.02.

spectras only
05-02-2006, 11:54 AM
What's the distance of this run ?

C-2
05-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Come on guys, the Coast Guard dictates how many boats can be released at one time, as well as the course.
The old days of "shotgun starts" are gone, plain and simple. Safety is the primary focus of the USCG, not exciting starts.
This was the first poker run of the season where the new Be Safe poker run guidelines were implemented. Any bona-fide poker run organizers will be following the same format, which is a good thing.
Bust our chops about other things we can improve upon - not components of the run where we have little, if no control over.
carry on...
:rollside:

carbonmarine
05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
more, more , more industry & vendor involvment ... I love looking & buying all the kool stuffs.. :cool:

Jordy
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM
What's the distance of this run ?
I reset my in-dash GPS before we started the parade through the channel and when we were done turning in the cards at the end of the day I had just at 70 miles on it.
It was a great time. The only thing that was a little sketchy was the parade start through the channel and then having to cross over following the pace boat around the island. By the time we were done parading and started rolling the big boys were heading to card stop 2 already and we had to cross in front of them (we were only in group 4). I don't have any great suggestions on how to handle 10+ starts without having some kind of crossover happening around the island.
Other than that, it seemed pretty flawless from what I saw. Nice work guys!!! :D

Keith E. Sayre
05-02-2006, 01:40 PM
All of the adrenalin and excitement is gone. The Coast Guard has effectively
killed another fun event that never had an accident in the name of safety.
Everyone I talked to said the same thing. I'm not going next year, it was
like boating any day of the summer except rougher and more expensive.
Of Course Jim and the boys deserve credit for a very well organized and fun
time with what they were in charge of but the actual run itself that the
coast guard ran was a joke.
Remember when you sat at the starting line for 30 or 40 minutes and you
had your hand on your key ready to go and you knew that you still had a
long time so you started your engine just to make sure that it was ok--again?
Then you looked around again to make sure that noone was sneaking ahead
in position on you? And someone not in the poker run started an engine and took off and you almost did the same thinking that you had missed something.
Thank your local coast guard guy for ruining any potential future memory like that. What a shame.
Keith Sayre

burtandnancy
05-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey C-2, is that our tax dollars at work? Anyway, from our vantage point I thought everything looked pretty good, but with all the roostertails and spray I missed the flag dropping that seems to be causing some concern. It can never be perfect, but it'll always be fun...

Jrocket
05-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I think we got three cards in like 15 minutes...the big boys make Havasu seem very small. I think we may have even outran the helecopter...lol.
I thought the event was first-rate. Hats off to Jim and crew.
No shiat! I have never been to Havasu Springs and BACK,so fast before in my life! Just amazing what those boats can do....sure makes Havasu seem small. :)

Big Warlock
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Why do we love NASCAR? The accidents! Hell yes the trip to Topoc would be narrow. Hell yes it would be exciting to watch several heats pass in the channel. But the potential of fullfilling all those "NASCAR" dreams with one hell of a bang up of boats could be too irresistible! J/K :crossx:
I appreciated the safety talk at the driver's meeting. The guy that spoke the best and made the most sense was the gentleman in charge of the rescue operations. Simple, to the point conversation. It was getting out of hand when we started calling out states to see who was from where. Then we forgot what states were left and had to end it. Damn, that was getting fun! :crossx:
I had a good time. Mainly because my friends were there. Some of who actually went to the lake and were spectators. Although I learned they are part of the "fringe" and not really welcome around Havasu. I learned so much this weekend. I wonder if that "fringe" group and their boats purchase any boating products? Just thinking out loud. :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Come on guys, the Coast Guard dictates how many boats can be released at one time, as well as the course....
Is that what prevented the side-by-side start that had been used in the past?

C-2
05-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey C-2, is that our tax dollars at work? Anyway, from our vantage point I thought everything looked pretty good, but with all the roostertails and spray I missed the flag dropping that seems to be causing some concern. It can never be perfect, but it'll always be fun...
Burt I'm like you; from our vantage point we couldn't tell whether or not a yellow flag was up.
---
It's not anybody's fault; rather a sign of the times. 180mph boats on an open lake, ANYWHERE, is gonna catch a lot of attention.
I can't remember any release that hasn't had some type of complaint. I've seen every one of them and yes, some are more exciting than others, but certainly not boring.
Maybe all options have ben exhausted and next year we can revisit a release out of Thompson Bay! That would be cool.
Let's not bitch this thing out of existence. Eyes are a lurking.

C-2
05-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Some of who actually went to the lake and were spectators. Although I learned they are part of the "fringe" and not really welcome around Havasu. I learned so much this weekend. I wonder if that "fringe" group and their boats purchase any boating products? Just thinking out loud. :cool:
The "Fringe" Teague referred to are the a-holes who jump in on the run. They've always been a problem, especially for the guys willing to play by the rules. Since they don't know the rules, or even the course, they tend to screw it up for the rest of us.
The "Fringe" in no way should be confused with spectators. Spectators are normally pretty cooperative and willing to keep things safe (except for the jerk who needed about 30 seconds of rotor wash to understand he was creating an unsafe condition for both participants and spectators).

LakeRacer
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM
I appreciated the safety talk at the driver's meeting. The guy that spoke the best and made the most sense was the gentleman in charge of the rescue operations. Simple, to the point conversation. It was getting out of hand when we started calling out states to see who was from where. Then we forgot what states were left and had to end it. Damn, that was getting fun! :crossx:
Sometime you just get caught up in the moment. Apparently, you are one who actually listens at the drivers meeting. I could make things simple and to the point....but I've learned that doesn't necessarily work to well in a large group. Other things I've learned:
In 7 years (12 poker runs)...it doesn't get any easier to produce
We can improve our maps with more info for out of staters
We can put the start group number on our flags for easier identification
With the new start format, we need to group them farther back in the open bay
With the new start format, we need to explain the groupings (stickers) and group starts better
We need to establish our group leaders earlier.
and the list get's longer as I have more time to reflect on what went right and what went wrong.
I can tell you this...with the new start format and the dive/rescue team in place my stress level was way down for the first hour of the poker run.
Many thanks to the sponsors, participants, spectators and everyone that made it a safe poker run.

unleashed
05-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Sometime you just get caught up in the moment. Apparently, you are one who actually listens at the drivers meeting. I could make things simple and to the point....but I've learned that doesn't necessarily work to well in a large group. Other things I've learned:
In 7 years (12 poker runs)...it doesn't get any easier to produce
We can improve our maps with more info for out of staters
We can put the start group number on our flags for easier identification
With the new start format, we need to group them farther back in the open bay
With the new start format, we need to explain the groupings (stickers) and group starts better
We need to establish our group leaders earlier.
and the list get's longer as I have more time to reflect on what went right and what went wrong.
I can tell you this...with the new start format and the dive/rescue team in place my stress level was way down for the first hour of the poker run.
Many thanks to the sponsors, participants, spectators and everyone that made it a safe poker run.
I definitly consider it a success even though the start could have been better. The bottom line is all eyes are on this event as a measure of how to run a poker run. In the end no one was injured, hurt, maimed or killed...and that my freinds will keep this event going in the future. So much planning and so much to think about...not everything can go perfect but the end result will only lead to more succesful poker runs. Art, Jim, the volunteers, coast guard, sheriff, safety rescue personal, vendors, sponsors and spectators...make this the premiere poker run in the country! Kudos on a very safe event and hopefully we can plan a little better for the start next year. I've done this poker run for 5 years now and can tell you I'll be there again next year!:)
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

LHC30Victory
05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Thank you to Jim, Art, Craig and all the others at LakeRacer and Pacific Dive and Rescue for allowing me and my crew to help! We considered it an honor to be able to give back to the "sport" of boating in even such a minor way.
The professionally run event and courtesy shown to us by these folks was phenomenal. We will be back if we are invited - after all, it seems our gambling luck has changed :rolleyes:

riverroyal
05-02-2006, 03:40 PM
its a tough spectator event,so I really dont count.But watching from black meadow wasnt as good as last year,I heard they split the boats up????some went to another card stop first,not havasu springs,this correct?Last year it was endless boats going by,this year,15 minutes then nothing.Much safer that way,just not as exciting to watch.Its a tough spectator activity,so Im not complaning,I will be there next year

carreraelite
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I think that Art and Jim have always done a great job on putting together the Poker Runs!! It's a challange for them to try to keep everybody(the coast gusrd, the City, participants.....ect.) happy and safe!! I know that it's alot of work, that most don't see. It takes alot of people alot of time to put these runs together. Thanks to all!!

JB in so cal
05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry, but it's been killin' me alllll day...
THOUGHTS
Phew! I'm ok, now!

carreraelite
05-02-2006, 04:21 PM
LOL !! I hope that you feel better now!! :cool:

Phat Matt
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
THOUGHTS
Phew! I'm ok, now!
Actually you are both wrong. It's TAUT. Not to be confused with Goldmember.
http://www.cartoonresearch.com/tat.jpg

JB in so cal
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
...like a toyger!! "like a schhhhhhmoke and paaancake!"

ChumpChange
05-02-2006, 04:34 PM
THOUGHTS
Phew! I'm ok, now!
Is that what it says? I have been looking at that all day trying to figure out what keys this guy hit wrong on his keyboard. At first I thought he was taking "shots" on the run.
Thanks for clearing that up. Thots.....That's funny. One time, I couldn't remember how to spell "of". My mom kept telling me to figure it out myself and I thought it was "ov". Of course....that was second grade.

Brian Hatch
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know Mike Favara? he was at the poker run. I need his number to get in contact with about an order he placed with us. American Outdoors.
Thanks, Brian
Even though i was working had a great time at the run and EVERYONE was very nice, looked like everyone was having a good time..

ClownRoyal
05-02-2006, 05:49 PM
its a tough spectator event,so I really dont count.But watching from black meadow wasnt as good as last year,I heard they split the boats up????some went to another card stop first,not havasu springs,this correct?Last year it was endless boats going by,this year,15 minutes then nothing.Much safer that way,just not as exciting to watch.Its a tough spectator activity,so Im not complaning,I will be there next year
We watched on the AZ side about a mile north of Black Meadow. From our position we could see them coming from Steamboat go by us and see them all the way past Black Meadow. The same coming back. Boats were literally going by us full-tilt. Defrees said he was over 170 going by us. I believe it. He was fast. I was shooting videos. But here is one pic from our vantage point.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/883Spectators.JPG
First to Havasu Springs
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/511/883TeamCRC.JPG

dirty old man
05-03-2006, 07:07 AM
JB in So Cal (or should I spell it out - Southern California) You of all people fooled by a little abbreviation! Thoughts (thots). Though (tho). Where have you been? Was that really so tuff (tough). If this is going to cause you a problem I'll go back to my Funk and Wagnal (dictionery) and spell out every word (correctly)

JB in so cal
05-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Your write! :)

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
05-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I was in group #9 and we did not get out of channel until 10:45 so my little boat that only goes 60mph could not make all three card stops in morning, that is my only complaint. BIG JOE

C-2
05-03-2006, 08:07 AM
I was in group #9 and we did not get out of channel until 10:45 so my little boat that only goes 60mph could not make all three card stops in morning, that is my only complaint. BIG JOE
Damn Joe...saw you at the rest stop on I-40. Thought I recognized your boat from somewhere! We were in the Red Ford Excursion w/Hallett sticker.
Did you see the remnants of a toybox and Harley's laying all over the road too?

Big Warlock
05-03-2006, 08:07 AM
The biggest improvement was the safety issues. I left the driver's meeting having total confidence that they could conduct a rescue if needed. There were alot of big boats and HP out there. I am grateful that it was conducted in a professional and safe manner.
My other comments are only a reflection of my own thoughts and about half of the other driver's out there regarding the speeches at the driver's meeting. IT"S A DRIVER'S MEETING! Safety, Procesdures, Routes, Information and SAFETY!
Just too complicated for some people. Time was an issue for many people. Many of us had a ways to go to get to our boats. Dicking around at the driver's meeting was not needed. I think many agree with that.
Over all I had a great time. I don't know Art other than the one issue I discussed with him and he had his hands full as it was. I know Jim from the local lakes and he has always been good to me, stopped by and assisted me when I needed info or help. When I bought my Warlock he spent time with me going through the boat and helping me out. I won't forget that.
These are just opinions guys. Thoughts being spoken out loud. I am not hiding from anyone. You know where to find me........on most days anyway. LOL :yuk:

C-2
05-03-2006, 08:10 AM
No worries on my end BigWarlock - just don't want spectators getting the wrong idea.

dirty old man
05-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Was the "fringe" element eliminated this year?

Jordy
05-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Was the "fringe" element eliminated this year?
I know of at least one "fringe" that hopped in our heat. Some guy with a 32'ish Skater, no DS numbers and he was running every bit of 120 in the 4th group. Only saw him on the run down to the first card stop, then he was floating around the Springs when we got there to pick up our cards. So I'd say the "fringe" was still there. :(

Havasu Cig
05-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Come on guys, the Coast Guard dictates how many boats can be released at one time, as well as the course.
The old days of "shotgun starts" are gone, plain and simple. Safety is the primary focus of the USCG, not exciting starts.
This was the first poker run of the season where the new Be Safe poker run guidelines were implemented. Any bona-fide poker run organizers will be following the same format, which is a good thing.
Bust our chops about other things we can improve upon - not components of the run where we have little, if no control over.
carry on...
:rollside:
If it's the CG's call about the start that sucks. Not laying blame at all, just have to decide if the excitement factor is there to wake up early to run down river and watch. If it is still fun for the participants then I guess that is what matters, but as spectators it kind of sucked. Maybe the ocean is the only place you can get away with a start like the old days now. Just my.02

ADDICTED
05-03-2006, 08:46 AM
The only thing I found funny was. At the drivers meeting they could not express enough how dangerous site six was. There are sea doos, fisherman, launch rampos. camp sites, etc....
Then WHY make us parade around there???
I would also like to see maybe a luch run on friday or saturday up river. Maybe have a barbecue at park moabi?
Half the people that were there from out of state have never been up river to see the most beautiful part of our water way.
I did feel much more comfortable with the saftey and dive teams. I like how Teague explained the diffrence bewteen a good life vest and a bad one.
Over all great event! Could use a few adjustmants but well worth it.

Jordy
05-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I like how Teague explained the diffrence bewteen a good life vest and a bad one.
Yeah, and then he explained how you could buy a good one from the Teague booth. Shameless self-promotion. :notam:
Then again, the whole concept of the Desert Storm Poker Run wasn't worthwhile and had no draw until he got involved. Don't believe me? Just ask him. ;)

PhantomChaos
05-03-2006, 09:02 AM
We thot it was a great poker run! Congrats Jim and Art and the rest of the gang!!! :) :) :) :) We did miss a lot of the drivers meeting due to the traffic backed up over the bridge due to construction. We didn't anticipaite that.......

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
C-2 we saw the dust from crash and thought it was a dust storm kicking up, then everybody was on binders.We almost saw another harley crash into the pile of wood and bikes on side of road. Badburn had just let his wife take over driving, to be woke up with ooooh shiiiiiit! It looked like to driver of pickup & rented toy hauler passed us about 80pmh.The driver I am sure he had to clean drawers of unwanted poo. But he did one hell of a good job of driving.
People always wonder why I tow my boat no faster than 60-65 mph. Was that your boat at rest stop after crash? BIG JOE

dirty old man
05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Phantom, did you say "thot" to confuse JB in So Cal