PDA

View Full Version : What 6x9's to buy?

cdog
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I am planning to add some 6x9's under the engine hatch so we can hear the highs on the outside of the boat. I currently have 2 12 w 6's and 3 sets of MB quartz marine 6.5's. I have plenty of bass and the system is real loud when in the boat but the highs need some help when your not in the boat.
I have a older kenwood amp that has 400 watts and has it's own cooling fan built into it. It blew two fosgate 10's so I'd assume it would be good for 4 6x9's. What do you think audio guy's???

cdog
07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
No help? I'm lookin for some brand recomendations?

Beer-30
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
http://www.eclipse-web.com/integrated/image/se8495.jpg
Continuous Power Handling: 75W
Music Power Handling: 220W
Eclipse SE-8495s
I just ordered 2 of them to start replacing the Sony Xplod's in Beer-30. Have one Xplod in the bow that is Xploded, so this pair will replace them. Gonna replace all 6 eventually.
I have never had the Eclipse regular series like this. Have all Eclipse in my truck and love the clarity. Startin on the boat now.

BADASS38CHEVY
07-06-2005, 10:06 PM
I am planning to add some 6x9's under the engine hatch so we can hear the highs on the outside of the boat. I currently have 2 12 w 6's and 3 sets of MB quartz marine 6.5's. I have plenty of bass and the system is real loud when in the boat but the highs need some help when your not in the boat.
I have a older kenwood amp that has 400 watts and has it's own cooling fan built into it. It blew two fosgate 10's so I'd assume it would be good for 4 6x9's. What do you think audio guy's???
How do those w6s hit.Is the bass good outside the boat.

NOTALENT
07-07-2005, 05:36 AM
I just bought 4 of the phoenix gold 6x9's and I had 2 rockwood 6x9's (Knock Offs) that sound really good...The phoenix golds really impressed me...I amped the 4 to a pioneer amp. I was going to buy subs and all...but with these 6 6x9's it actually sounds pretty good...sounds like I have some good bass. It will do the job. I will work on some other parts for the boat before I get the subs.
70w rms/140 peak
http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/images/octane_r/speakers/r69.0c.jpg

jbtrailerjim
07-07-2005, 05:46 AM
I just picked up my boat yesterday from having a similar set up done like you are thinking about doing. My boat was plenty loud inside the boat but I really had to crank it up when outside to hear the mids and highs. I used 6.5's under the hatch. There loud and sound crystal clear. My installer always recomends 6.5's over 6x9's because they sound cleaner. I'm running all Arc Audio in my boat. 4 sets of Arc marine 6.5's and 2 Arc 12's. I'm only running two amps. One XXK 2100 2 channel for the subs and 1 XXK 4050 4 channel for the 6.5's. I have the pair of 6.5's under the hatch and one of the sets of 6.5's near the mid cabin on a switch. When I want to listen to the set under the hatch I just flick the switch and it turns off the the lower set of 6.5's and turns on the other set. I like the set up and I didn't have to invest more money into another amp.

MOBrien
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
I've got Polk Audio "Momo" series 6x9's mounted under my engine hatch in small enclosures. When we're on the beach I open the hatch and they are loud on the beach. They're on two channels of a 4ch JBL that's 80W rms per channel. They are pretty damn loud and were very inexpensive on EBay and included the x-overs....like $149/pair compared to $299 at Fry's.
good luck.

riverbound
07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.eclipse-web.com/integrated/image/se8495.jpg
Continuous Power Handling: 75W
Music Power Handling: 220W
Eclipse SE-8495s
I just ordered 2 of them to start replacing the Sony Xplod's in Beer-30. Have one Xplod in the bow that is Xploded, so this pair will replace them. Gonna replace all 6 eventually.
I have never had the Eclipse regular series like this. Have all Eclipse in my truck and love the clarity. Startin on the boat now.
I agree with Beer30. I used the Eclipse stuff for years in the boats I built and for the money you can not get a better built better sounding speaker. I have them in my boat and they have been in there for 3 years now with no problems. Plus They have a 3year warranty and a 1 year over the counter exchange.

Beer-30
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Amen, Riverbound.
I plan on replacing all 6 Xplods with these and adding 1 more pair. 8 Total.
Then, pull out the Ultimate amp (4-channel) and run 2 Eclipse 5422s for all 8 (trying to keep the heat down).

Beer-30
07-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh, and by the way, what's your take on baffles like the XTC foam ones?
Years ago, I had them on the back of a pair of Pioneer TS-6903s in the all-metal doors of a 1970 pickup. Had a 60 watt Linear to them. They really sounded good. Was thinking of putting them around all of the 6x9s for protection as well as cutting out some of the "free-air".

riverbound
07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Amen, Riverbound.
I plan on replacing all 6 Xplods with these and adding 1 more pair. 8 Total.
Then, pull out the Ultimate amp (4-channel) and run 2 Eclipse 5422s for all 8 (trying to keep the heat down).
Dont run the eclipse amps..... I have the PA series in my boat, and although they are a great sounding amp they do not have the balls to get the volume. Go with something like Rockford amps. You wont be happy with the Eclipse amps.

riverbound
07-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Oh, and by the way, what's your take on baffles like the XTC foam ones?
Years ago, I had them on the back of a pair of Pioneer TS-6903s in the all-metal doors of a 1970 pickup. Had a 60 watt Linear to them. They really sounded good. Was thinking of putting them around all of the 6x9s for protection as well as cutting out some of the "free-air".
I used them once and it didnt seem to make a difference on the boats.

Beer-30
07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks! I don't even know you, but I can tell you know what you are talking about and I very much trust your knowledge. Especially because you are familiar with Eclipse stuff.
Wow. I would have ran the 5422s in a heartbeat. I guess most of the stuff is for "inside" use. Definitely clean, though!
Even if the baffles don't make a sound diff, I may run them just for protection from stuff floating around under the seats. Thanks again.

riverbound
07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks! I don't even know you, but I can tell you know what you are talking about and I very much trust your knowledge. Especially because you are familiar with Eclipse stuff.
Wow. I would have ran the 5422s in a heartbeat. I guess most of the stuff is for "inside" use. Definitely clean, though!
Even if the baffles don't make a sound diff, I may run them just for protection from stuff floating around under the seats. Thanks again.
I have built a boat system or two in my day ;)
We were Eclipse's first dealer. I have been around there products for almost 10 years now.

Beer-30
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
We were Eclipse's first dealer. I have been around there products for almost 10 years now.
Cool.
BTW, I was at my Eclipse dealer yesterday and on the wall was this new black Eclipse amp. Didn't see a number on it, but it had front/rear gains, switches, and X-over adjustments on the "face" of the amp, not on the ends?
Haven't seen any black amps on the website. Didn't ask the guys there, the knowledgeable ones were out to lunch.

MightyMike
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Infinity 6902M or JBL MS920 seem to be good marine speakers, although I've heard you really don't need marine speakers. Both of these 6x9's will handle 100W RMS. I got the Infinity 6902M myself but have not installed yet. Check out Crutchfield.com or CarDomain.com for current prices.
Infinity 6902M run $159 at cardomain.com
JBL MS920 run run $99 at Overtons.com

river chaser
07-11-2005, 06:54 AM
fosgate 6x9 with movable 2 ways
Put one of the tweeters near the dash, and guarateed they will SCREAM!
Best $250 ever spent for speakers!
Buy the warrantee at Best Buy so if you should fry one of the voice coils from excessive sound and excessive heat (havi) you can get a new pair for FREE in the course of 4 years ;)