PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Ski Race

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Hello all.
This Saturday, July 9th is the Catalina Ski Race. We have some friends from Australia that have come over for the race to ski. Unfortunately one of them, Rudi Stought, had his ride blow a motor and he is now searching for another towboat. If anyone here has a 35+ foot rocket with twin 500's or better please PM me ASAP so I can hook you up with Rudi if you are interested in pulling him.
Rudi has gone to great trouble to get over here for this race and it would be great if somebody can help him. He will be skiing the Masters class and should be able to finish right around 1:00.
Thanks for your time.
Bob

Phat Matt
07-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Bummer, good luck.

barbigrl
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Hello all.
This Saturday, July 9th is the Catalina Ski Race. We have some friends from Australia that have come over for the race to ski. Unfortunately one of them, Rudi Stought, had his ride blow a motor and he is now searching for another towboat. If anyone here has a 35+ foot rocket with twin 500's or better please PM me ASAP so I can hook you up with Rudi if you are interested in pulling him.
Rudi has gone to great trouble to get over here for this race and it would be great if somebody can help him. He will be skiing the Masters class and should be able to finish right around 1:00.
Thanks for your time.
Bob
I hung out with some of those boys this weekend....good times!! Wish I could go to Long Beach for this but I am already going to Vegas.... :(

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Dam 3 Feet Short

Phat Matt
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Dam 3 Feet Short
Story of your life. :p

carbonmarine
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I dont get these ski morons at all ....
Example : Ah, yeah I ski ..and fast too, but ahhhh.... I dont have a boat
and wont pay for gas since I came here from UK, Australia or New Zeland..
If ya break duhhhhh uhhhh I guess you on your own... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 02:28 PM
These guys all own boats, but they went to the Worlds in England, stopped off in Belgium to race the Diamond, then came here. They've been on the road for a month and wouldn't let us pay for the $600 in boat gas we ran through this weekend. Some, but not all, skiers are a pain...
Rudi, however, is a ten! I sincerely hope he finds a ride as this is his last ski. His sons will more than likely be the next up and comers in this race as they are both really fast for being so young (providing Todd ever slows down, that guy is on fire)... Thanks for your help.

h2oski2fast
07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
If ya break duhhhhh uhhhh I guess you on your own... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
JWM, said I can run the throttles in your boat!!! :D :D :D
BTW, I didn't see you at the river over the weekend? :D

Speedin' Ian
07-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Would you ask a race car driver the same thing? My cousin races for porsche, they don't ask him to buy the car, or work on the motor, also they don't get super pissed when he crashes it. That's why he is the driver and they are the owner. Speed skiers are just that, speed skiers, not boat drivers/owners.

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Where's my boat stickers Dog?
Boat tech's at 7:30 tonight at the lido rack...
Quit trolling and get to work! There's money in it for ya. I was busy watching Trav chase dollies at the Ithsmus over the 4th. Never did see him catch one tho'...

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Story of your life. :p
what are you talking about Willis

h2oski2fast
07-06-2005, 02:42 PM
"I'm a PIMP!"

Phat Matt
07-06-2005, 02:42 PM
what are you talking about Willis
Just messing with ya. :D

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Maybe not a pimp, but hired as a bartender :2purples:

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 02:50 PM
We Dont Have A Skier This Year For The Race. If He Want To Go Formula 1 (21 Ft. And Under) We Are There.

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
And We Get To Leave 7 Mins Earlier Then The Big Boats. Smooth Sailing Thru The Break Water.

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
What are you running? Are you okay with a one hour pace?

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
21 Ft Schiada 548cu. Injected Motor. Firt Place Formula 1 In 2002

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Boat Will Run 90mph No Problem. Been In Ski Raceing For About 10 Years. If It Helps My Boat # Is 415 So Might Know Who You Are Talking To.

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I PM'd you with Rudi's #. Thanks very much. Hopefully you can work something out.

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah I Got And I Replied To Yours Thanks.

dimarcobros
07-06-2005, 03:18 PM
pm river lynchmob he is more on RRL than here but he still comes on here a bunch. he is the man you should talk to.
DMB

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
I Have Been Going To And Running This Race For About 10 Years Now And I Always Thought That The Most Amazing Thing Would Be To See A Small Boat Come Around The Fan Tail Of The Queen Marry And When This Race. Just Like The Old Days.

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm down with that! I'd love to see a big turbo'd 21' V drive spank them all. I bet if you could get Todd to run one, you'd have a chance.

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Yeah But You Know What Will Happen If A 21 Was To Beat One Of The Big Boats? That Would Be The End Of The 7 Min Early Start For The Samall Boats. We Would Take Away There Spot Lite. But All It Is Is A Saftey Factor. But Yes If Someone Like Todd Would Go Behind A 21 And Win That Would Be Great. I Mean Sh$t The First 2 Years I Did It I Was Behind A 19' Hallett Sport Skier. Smallest Boat In The Race 2 Years In A Row. And Yes Once I Got Thru The Break Water I Said To My Self The Same Thing Everyone Else Will Be Saying When They Read This ( I Am An Idiot).

Riverkid
07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
That start to breakwater dash is the worst washing machine I've ever seen...

life's a river
07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I Have Been Going To And Running This Race For About 10 Years Now And I Always Thought That The Most Amazing Thing Would Be To See A Small Boat Come Around The Fan Tail Of The Queen Marry And When This Race. Just Like The Old Days.
Even if you did not win the race due to the 7 min. time difference, it would still be awesome to see you make the turn 1st.
I hope you guys can work things out. These last minute entries are stressfull but fun. Go boat #415!!
Is anybody going to be launching there boats as a spectator? We will be taking off from Davies at about 6:00 Am.
LAR

BROADMINDED
07-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I Observed For Someone One Year After I Skied It And It Scared The Sh$t Out Of Me. I Was More Scared In The Boat Then I Was When I Was Skiing It. Skiing Thru There I Was Just Concentrating On Staying Up. But When I Observed You Are Able To See What Else Is Going On Around The Skier. Oooohh Man. But I Got To Hand It To Everyone, They Do A Really Good Job Going Thru There And Keeping Everyone Safe.

don johnson
07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Best of luck.
I have a good friend observing in boat # 67, 38 Formula. Denny Valdez. Ran in 55.23 minutes yesterday in practice

Mandelon
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Even if you did not win the race due to the 7 min. time difference, it would still be awesome to see you make the turn 1st.
I hope you guys can work things out. These last minute entries are stressfull but fun. Go boat #415!!
Is anybody going to be launching there boats as a spectator? We will be taking off from Davies at about 6:00 Am.
LAR
I think Jordy posted he will be out there in his XXX Rated.

life's a river
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
I think Jordy posted he will be out there in his XXX Rated.
What kind of a boat?

LHC30Victory
07-06-2005, 04:25 PM
his ride blew a motor and he is now searching for another towboat.
Has JP cooled down yet?? :sqeyes:

Jordy
07-06-2005, 04:48 PM
What kind of a boat?
30' Spectre cat with twin 300X's on it. Don't have a ski tow though and not quite at the 35' length they seem to be looking for. :jawdrop:
Havasu Hangin' has a 35' Cig Cafe Racer. :D

River Lynchmob
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Best of luck.
I have a good friend observing in boat # 67, 38 Formula. Denny Valdez. Ran in 55.23 minutes yesterday in practice
Who is Denny pulling this year?
He should know better than to tell practice times...everyone runs under in hour in practice :D

superdave013
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
BROADMINDED, That's bad ass. Post up a pic of your boat so we know who to look for.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Rudi Stought had his ride blow a motor and he is now searching for another towboat. If anyone here has a 35+ foot rocket with twin 500's or better please PM me ASAP so I can hook you up with Rudi if you are interested in pulling him.
Bob
Bob,
Aaron Fluent is going to be pulling his brother Jeff Barrus.....
They were, or still may be using Geoff's 39' Outerlimits......
If they don't, they will be using the smaller Nordic.......
Later,
CJG
:cool:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Bob,
Just spoke to Aaron....
Him and Lonnie are still on the way out from Havasu.....
They said they should be able to hook Rudi up.....
We had to laugh.......Rudi is a bit desperate.......But still pickey !!!!!
Hehehe!!!
PM me if you need to get hold of Aaron & Lonnie.........
Later,
CJG
:wink:

SPECTRABRENT
07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Anyone know the last year a 21 footer won the Catalina Ski race?
It had to be in the early 80's.
Brent

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Brent
1880's ??......... :D

Jen
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Brent
I have race results back to 1992...not back to then, but I will find out!
I do the registration for the Race, I should have it in my records.

h2oski2fast
07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Robby Lewis?

FOURQ
07-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Where's my boat stickers Dog?
Boat tech's at 7:30 tonight at the lido rack...
Quit trolling and get to work! There's money in it for ya. I was busy watching Trav chase dollies at the Ithsmus over the 4th. Never did see him catch one tho'...
Riverkid you got that red and grey boat???.. i seen a few guys ski home from the ithsmus this weekend was bad ass watching those guys .....
Q

h2oski2fast
07-06-2005, 10:37 PM
That was Alex's Wellscraft, and yes Trav has skied behind that coming back from Ithsmus but I didn;t think they skied home this past weekend. Although I could be wrong.

FOURQ
07-06-2005, 10:41 PM
That was Alex's Wellscraft, and yes Trav has skied behind that coming back from Ithsmus but I didn;t think they skied home this past weekend. Although I could be wrong.
i stoped to talt to them nice lookin boat and i didnt see them ski home but i did see another one take off sunday afternoon pullin twins.
Q

h2oski2fast
07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I didn't think they skied home, cause I talked with Alex today at Irvine Lake as they were doing some practice starts. He told me that he ripped the dead and gas pedals out of the boat on the way home. That is a cool boat, I pulled both Travis and Alex doubled up to Avalon a few weeks back and it rode pretty good.

Havasu Hangin'
07-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Q. Why do skiers continually put their thumb up to go faster?
A. Because they don't have to buy a new thumb if it breaks.
:cool:

dirty old man
07-07-2005, 08:18 AM
There seems to be a bunch of guys from here at Lake Mead who race this to. Saw them practicing last weekend. They pull the skiers faster than most boats go, got my doors blown off and I was going 70+. Saw Fountains, Cigarettes and Hustlers go by.

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Mead Is A Good Place To Train. Gets Pretty Nasty Out There. The 50-75 Mile Race Was Race I Hated Most. Going All The Way Out To Beacon Island And Back (3 Laps). But It Is Always The Best Party After.

reb939
07-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Broadminded how's the flatty running?

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 09:18 AM
It Is Almost Put Back Together. Had A Little Bit Of Cam Wear So We Pullrd It Out And In The Process Of Changing It Out. Since The Motor Was Out We Decided To Take All Of The Harwear Out And Have It Anodised. Everything Is Pretty Much In Except For The Steering Cables, Down Pedel, And The Gas Pedal. It's Turning Out Really Nice.

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Who's This?

reb939
07-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Sounds like you've been busy.
Did you hook up w/ your skier for Catalina?
I (Lavey Craft 939) won't be skiing this, had knee surgery. But I will be navigating in boat 777

SUBPRIME
07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi everyone, I live in Huntington and was thinking of watching this event. If I watch I would put in at Huntington Harbour or Newport, where would be the best spot to watch the action from? This is my first experience with the ski race so suggestions are appreciated.

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Oh Hey Was Goin On I Saw The 939 And Thought It Might Be You But Was Not Sure. Sorry To Here About The Knee. Hope Everything Is Going Ok. Hows Your Place Going At The River? I Dont Go On Big Weekends Anymore, But I Heard It Was Pretty Crazy Out There. No Skier This Year, So We Will Just Be Watching. I Will Have A Bloody Mary For Ya.

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Subprime, When You Get Over There My The Queen Marry You Will See Everyone Lining Up Along The Finish Line. Alot Of People Watch Them Go Thru The Break Water And Then Go And Line Up By The Finish. All Depends How Good Of A View You Want Of The Finish I Guess.

reb939
07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Knee is OK can walk but can't ski yet, maybe I'll be ready for Clearlake.
Parker is great as always. Was busy Sat. but Sunday was decent.
Are you going to be at the Hotel in LB on Friday?

River Lynchmob
07-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Sounds like you've been busy.
Did you hook up w/ your skier for Catalina?
I (Lavey Craft 939) won't be skiing this, had knee surgery. But I will be navigating in boat 777
Who are you navagating for and what class are you guys in?

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 09:45 AM
i stoped to talt to them nice lookin boat and i didnt see them ski home but i did see another one take off sunday afternoon pullin twins.
Q
That was us. White & Purple 38' Powerquest. Rudi and Rod skied back over.

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 09:46 AM
If We Dont Come Up With A Skier By This Afternoon I Will Be Leaving Tomorow Afternoon For Blythe And Spend The Weekened Out There. After All Of These Years Being A Part Of It, And This Year We Are Not, It Just Wont Be The Same To Watch. And If It Is Flat Out There Then I Would Really Feel Bad. Just Me I Guess. My Dad Will Be There Tonight And Friday Night, Watching The Race And Then He Will Meet Us At The River.

reb939
07-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Swanson, novice
And you? boat #?

reb939
07-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Look forward to seeing your dad there.
Hey Riverkid! GET TO WORK

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
FYI,
They told us last night at tech the finish buoy will be moved closer to the stern of the Queen Mary and all boats MUST be shut down by the bow of the QM (no finishing under the bridge). Evidently the Catalina Express dredged the channel and they put all the dirt on the N side and the water is extremely shallow now. They have also suspended the water taxi service from the WC Hotel over to Shoreline as a result.
It will be interesting to see how all the boats will get shut down and out of the way with that narrow a lane...

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Look forward to seeing your dad there.
Hey Riverkid! GET TO WORK
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you want to start smack talking, Mickey D's?
We both know I'll own you.

reb939
07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Just like to see you working so that you can support your family in a manner that they deserve

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey Riverkid, Thanks For Trying To Help Out Yesterday With Trying To Find A Boat.

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey Riverkid, Thanks For Trying To Help Out Yesterday With Trying To Find A Boat.
You are THE MAN. Thanks for stepping up. Sorry Rudi is so indecisive. I told him last night to gamble on good water and run a F1. He wasn't buying it...
REB939, Bite me.

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Just like to see you working so that you can support your family in a manner that they deserve
Tell me about it. Just like you, big daddy? Gramma just picked up the girls for the weekend and I'm pretty sure my wife immediately hauled ash to Nordstroms or some other scary such place...

reb939
07-07-2005, 10:03 AM
riverkid: catch me if you can. The 2 x 2.5s may prove to be too elusive for you

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
riverkid: catch me if you can. The 2 x 2.5s may prove to be too elusive for you
You better start saving up for some sorta sack transplant to talk big like that. Better watch out or I'll make you limp on the other leg. Look what I did to Jeff! And he's way faster than you...

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
939 Are You Going To Mead?

Up 4 River
07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Who are you navagating for and what class are you guys in?
You going to be out there watching Lynch?

River Lynchmob
07-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Swanson, novice
And you? boat #?
I'm not doing anything this year. We pulled Todd Haig the last 5 years...taking a break this year for some unforseen things...we'll be back next year.

reb939
07-07-2005, 11:21 AM
939 Are You Going To Mead?
Yes, we bought Mickey D-2 so we'll be moving just a little bit faster
Will you be there?

River Lynchmob
07-07-2005, 11:23 AM
You going to be out there watching Lynch?
I'll be there for sure. Get there tomorrow about noon and start the drinking at the Yard House. I have a few Aussie buddies in town and i'm sure they are going to want to put a hurting on me fri and sat as I do to them when I head down there.
You going to come down to watch?

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah I Will Be There. Oh Man I Bet That Thing Screams. Been A While Since I Seen That Thing Running At Speed. Should Be A Fun Ride For You.

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
FYI peeps,
Rudi found a ride on a 38' Fountain with new twin Vortech blown motors. I guess the boat was over at Precision in HB and they managed to convince the owner (unknown) to run with Rudi. No numbers on the boat presently.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Good luck to all and see you at the race!

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 11:50 AM
That Is Good To Hear. Glad To Hear He Now Has A Very Good Chance At The Masters Record Now. He Said That Was The Only Thing Holding Him Up About Going Behind The 21.

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 11:55 AM
They went out this morning and I guess the swell is picking up with some wind chop. He's feeling happy with the big boat, but thanks again for your generous offer. I know the boys didn't get back until 4 this morning from our dinner last night (I know this cause I left early and got the call "Dude, where's my car?" this AM from my driver) so I have a feeling it will be naptime for everyone concerned very shortly... Rudi's hoping to run behind the boat tomorrow morning first thing to get dialed in.
Look me up if you come out. I'll buy you a beer or three.

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Riverkid I Sent You A Pm.

don johnson
07-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Who is Denny pulling this year?
He should know better than to tell practice times...everyone runs under in hour in practice :D
Denny is pulling Lauryn Eagle, the Aussie.

life's a river
07-07-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46025 check this out for the swell report. It looks like things "might" be calming down for race day.
LAR

Steamin' Rice
07-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I'll be riding with a friend as the navigator pulling in Mens doubles.. Hopefully the water is good and NO FOG at the start. :D

Riverkid
07-07-2005, 02:26 PM
What's your boat number?

life's a river
07-07-2005, 02:29 PM
I'll be riding with a friend as the navigator pulling in Mens doubles.. Hopefully the water is good and NO FOG at the start. :D
Good point. The fog delays in 01 and 02 just plain sucked. There will be a lot of prayers for calm water and no fog. Good luck.
LAR

BROADMINDED
07-07-2005, 02:47 PM
2002 Was A Joke. Starting That Race At 2 O-clock In The Afternoon.

River Lynchmob
07-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Denny is pulling Lauryn Eagle, the Aussie.
She is a shit hot skier...she's my dark horse to win womens overall.

TCHB
07-07-2005, 04:33 PM
We stayed at hte Queen Mary last Saturday night and saw a few of the big boys out in the water in front. I did not see one small boat.

team 933
07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Any other small boats out there :2purples: :eek:

reb939
07-08-2005, 05:57 AM
I heard there are several boat running F-1 this year.
Hope everyone has a safe & fun race.
See ya there!!!!!!!!!!!

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Top Of The Mornin To Ya 939. Whats With This 9:00 Start Time This Year?

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 06:28 AM
I think the 939 guy was complaining about having to set an alarm clock or something so they are accomodating his schedule...
That and heavy harbor traffic coming through the gate at 0800 that cannot be diverted... I think we'd all rather wait than deal with the container ship wakes.

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Hahaha

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Just so everyone knows, there is hardly any available slip space for rent anywhere close due to the impending Transpac race start next week. We thought just another year on the DD dock - nope, full. We ended up with a slip over in front of the yardhouse from Fri 10A to Sat 10A through Jeff Cheng over at Scope. www.scopeinfo.com. Send him an email if you need an overnight spot in LB...
Good luck.