PDA

View Full Version : mallory comp 140 ??

bakerjet
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
i just rigged my boat with a pair of comp 140's and the 4207 returnless style regulator got it to the lake and one stopped working after about 2 gallons of gas? it was so hot you couldn't touch it? the other pump saved the weekend but it gets pretty hot also. any ideas?

Squirtcha?
07-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Personally..............I don't use electric fuel pumps, however I believe the rule of thumb is to never deadhead an electric pump (have some form of fuel return). Even if the return just goes back in upstream of the pump (not necessarily back to the tank, but to recirculate in some fashion).
Someone who knows more about electric fuel pumps can substantiate.............or not.

bakerjet
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
sounds right to me but, thats the regulator that came with the pump and it has two outlets which is going to work well with my nos...i hope.

flat broke
07-06-2005, 03:54 PM
sounds right to me but, thats the regulator that came with the pump and it has two outlets which is going to work well with my nos...i hope.
Do you really want to be running NOS in a situation where fuel pumps are dying? :) How bout, you set up the one pump to run as your "main" pump in a bypass fashion, then use the other pump with the neat little deadhead regulator for when you're on the juice. The only time that pump is running is when the NOS is armed, but even then, make sure you have a fuel pressure switch safety, so the NOS can't operate if the NOS fuel pump craps out before you hit the button.
Or just run a good ol' fashioned mechanical Clay Smith pump and never worry about the damn thing :D
Chris

bakerjet
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
i'm with ya but for the money i have in pumps and braided line with an fittings you'd think i would be in business :messedup: here's my set up,two pumps and two filter canisters, one on each tank, check valves on each discharge teed together before the regulator if i need to switch tanks i just switch pumps and if i hit the nos i just kick on both pumps incase one gives up the ghost the other will come in behind it plus its good to have two fuel pumps when you are running electric ones, but i was wondering if these particular pumps run hot to the touch on the motor side not the pump side? or if i should be running a return style regulator.

Squirtcha?
07-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Just a parrot here, but I've got a pretty fair memory. Most (if not all) the electric pumps use the passage of fuel through them, to cool em. If your carb bowls are full, and they don't require any fuel, the pump is still on and working, but not really passing any amount of fuel (coolant) through them, thus the overheating deal.
That's where the bypass thing comes in. In the above scenario, the fuel would continue to flow through the pump, then by pass back to tanks or T'd back into the supply line, thereby always supplying cool fuel through the pump whether the carb bowls are full, or not.
I think?

bakerjet
07-06-2005, 08:12 PM
ok ok, gonna get a return style! but why would the pump come with that regulator in the same box from jegs? part number 650-4140 guess i'll call and find out what the deal is

flat broke
07-06-2005, 08:19 PM
ok ok, gonna get a return style! but why would the pump come with that regulator in the same box from jegs? part number 650-4140 guess i'll call and find out what the deal is
2 reasons
1st because the pump and cheapo(no offense towards your particular parts) regulator create a more apealing price point than the pump alone
2nd because I bet Jegs sells pumps in a ratio of at least 10:1 in favor of drag racers over boat guys. For the couple of seconds you're on the gas at the strip, you'd never notice the problem you're refering to.
Chris

hondajoey
07-06-2005, 08:39 PM
check out in blowermotors i belive Infomaniac has posted a good way to run fuel lines for a dual carb setup with a return line.

MikeF
07-06-2005, 08:40 PM
I run a Holley blue and have had no problems w/ overheating while running the boat. I do however do maintenance it quite a bit cause sometimes it sticks and won't turn when I don't use the boat for awhile.
I did buy a CV fuel pump lower section off ebay from one of the nascar groups selling parts at auction.
It has the same bolt pattern as the typical fuel pumps that are being manufactured. I figured I'd try it and see.....low and behold.....It fits!
Should work as well or better than most other mass produced mech pumps that are on the market today.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/153It_Fits-med.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/153Valves-med.jpg

bakerjet
07-06-2005, 09:01 PM
2 reasons
1st because the pump and cheapo(no offense towards your particular parts) regulator create a more apealing price point than the pump alone
2nd because I bet Jegs sells pumps in a ratio of at least 10:1 in favor of drag racers over boat guys. For the couple of seconds you're on the gas at the strip, you'd never notice the problem you're refering to.
Chris
if thats true which it probably is then i'm pissed :lightsabe i'll call mallory tomorrow and let ya know what they say.

bakerjet
07-08-2005, 10:00 AM
talked to mallory today, definitely need to run the return style regulator and the returnless is for drag racing which juggs forgets to mention.!

superdave013
07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
You need two regulators. One for the engine set at 7psi or so and one for the nitrous set at what ever your nitrous system calls for (around 5psi or so I'd think).