91nordic29
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
what is the difference?

Mandelon
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
about 1

Mandelon
07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
1 is for tractors and boats, off road stuff. I think 2 is for road legal vehicles...big penalty if you get caught with 1 in your truck...

ratso
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
1 is for tractors and boats, off road stuff. I think 2 is for road legal vehicles...big penalty if you get caught with 1 in your truck...
...oops :notam:

LHC30Victory
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Is the difference the road use tax?
If so, where do you find #1 and how do you get it in the truck?

HammerDown
07-06-2005, 04:24 PM
And red dye...and a BIG F'ING FINE if the law dips your tank. Something like a $1000.00 per gallon in your tank!
10 gallons of off road fuel in your tank and getting caught ='s 10K in fines.

Mandelon
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
How bout a sneaky hidden fuel tank somewhere..... :devil:

HammerDown
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
It's against the law to pump "off road diesel" into any diesel vehicle that's run on the road.
Some standard fuel stations carry "off road" diesel...you just have to look around. And the only way (you) can get it in your truck is by filling fuel juggs and dumping it in yourself.
WARNING...don't get caught!

mike37
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
iv always wondered if you could get gas for your boat with no road tax
why should you pay road tax for a boat its not on the road WTF!!! we are getting ripped here :mad:

HammerDown
07-06-2005, 04:32 PM
How bout a sneaky hidden fuel tank somewhere..... :devil:
The law (State DOT) are known to remove fuel filters also...it takes 5-7 tank's of Legal Diesel to remove the red dye from one tank of "off road fuel". The filter will always show RED...then your dead $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ULTRA28
I know that in AZ they charge an extra 8 cents a gallon for high GVW vehicles (big rigs, etc), but most pumps actually charge the extra 8 cents to everybody and you have to go inside and ask for a rebate to get back the 8 cents.

LHC30Victory
iv always wondered if you could get gas for your boat with no road tax
why should you pay road tax for a boat its not on the road WTF!!! we are getting ripped here :mad:
I wonder if it would be worth the administrative hassle to open a BOAT ONLY FUELING STATION in LHC? No road taxes cause they only fill boats??????

mike37
07-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I wonder if it would be worth the administrative hassle to open a BOAT ONLY FUELING STATION in LHC? No road taxes cause they only fill boats??????
maybe Calif has some stiff tax if you could sell it to boaters with no road tax
how much cheaper would it be???? could be a lot

Jordy
07-06-2005, 04:45 PM
OK, so you guys want the right answer now????
Diesel #1 is formulated with all the cold temp anti-gelling additives and Diesel #2 is what you will find at most pumps that are on this side of the country. It has a higher kerosene content than #2.
Diesel #2 is available in red dye and there is no difference in composition other than the color out here. It's about a $10,000 fine per occurance if you're found running off road fuel in an on highway vehicle. In 10 years of having diesels I've never been checked, but have heard that they have set up road blocks out here in farming and heavy construction areas and have been checking for red. ;)

Mardonzi
07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I got checked for the first time in 8 years of running a diesel just outside of Flagstaff AZ about 4 months ago... Luckily I was clean.. however, there was a guy sitting on the bumper of the enforcement van while his boss was trying to talk their way out of the fine as the tow truck was hooking on to his company pickup.....

Mustang Shorty
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't know about out west but in Texas off road, or red dye, is also higher in sulpher than road diesel.
#1 is sold mostly in the north eastern and midwest states during the winter to prevent jelling.
If you have a diesel tank in your company pickup here you will be tested sooner or later.

STV_Keith
07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Ding ding ding. Good job Jordy. :)

Kindsvater Flat
07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
#1 Diesel is the stuff you buy at the pumps. Already has road tax on it. You can run it in any diesel vehicle, tractor, boat, car, big rig.
#2 Diesel is dyed red for off road use only. Farm equipment etc. But you can buy and run this in your vehicle if you keep a mileage log and submit taxes based on your gallons used and mileage. Big headache.
FYI I buy #2 and get it for around $1.10-1.30 a gallon in 10k gallon quantities.:D

ChumpChange
07-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Spoken like a true officer of the law :)
Now please don't pull me over when I drive home tonight.

Jordy
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
#1 Diesel is the stuff you buy at the pumps. Already has road tax on it. You can run it in any diesel vehicle, tractor, boat, car, big rig.
#2 Diesel is dyed red for off road use only. Farm equipment etc. But you can buy and run this in your vehicle if you keep a mileage log and submit taxes based on your gallons used and mileage. Big headache.
FYI I buy #2 and get it for around $1.10-1.30 a gallon in 10k gallon quantities.:D
WRONG!!!!! Read my post above. #1 is cold weather fuel. #2 is what you buy at the pump at any station you'll find at this side of the country. ;)
Oh, and FYI, red #2 is running about $1.90 a gallon in Arizona right now. The only difference between red and clear is the road tax hasn't been paid on the red and that's why it's dyed.

Kindsvater Flat
07-06-2005, 05:06 PM
WRONG!!!!! Read my post above. #1 is cold weather fuel. #2 is what you buy at the pump at any station you'll find at this side of the country. ;)
Oh, and FYI, red #2 is running about $1.90 a gallon in Arizona right now. The only difference between red and clear is the road tax hasn't been paid on the red and that's why it's dyed.
Then all the pumps are labeled wrong up here.

Jordy
07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Then all the pumps are labeled wrong up here.
Must be. I've never seen #1 at a pump and I've been all over this side of the country. ;)
You might have some labeled as "OFF-ROAD" that is red, but it's still #2. You guys don't get cold enough (as far as I have seen) to ever have to run #1 diesel. ;)

phebus
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Jordy, what's diesel going for in Az theese days? High here in Cali.

Mustang Shorty
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
diesel
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/Diesel_Spec.shtm
According to this, both ! and 2 can be for offroad but are distilled differently and have different properties. I guess it all depends on where in the country you are.

Ziggy
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Seen two places with #1, both at CFN fuel stations........Temecula and Indio.
Been tempted but always pick up the #2 handle.

Norseman
07-06-2005, 05:51 PM
what is the difference?
Road tax!!!
#1 off road / Farm is dyed Red. If they stop you it's a really large fine, and they can impound the truck.
That's also why they dye home heating oil, same stuff.
I've been told that it takes a long time for the red to get out of the fuel system, It coats the tank and the lines. They regularly check for it in the Northeast at horse shows and county fairs, lots of diesel pickups pulling live stock!! :sqeyes:

LUVNLIFE
07-06-2005, 07:35 PM
OK, so you guys want the right answer now????
Diesel #1 is formulated with all the cold temp anti-gelling additives and Diesel #2 is what you will find at most pumps that are on this side of the country. It has a higher kerosene content than #2.
Diesel #2 is available in red dye and there is no difference in composition other than the color out here. It's about a $10,000 fine per occurance if you're found running off road fuel in an on highway vehicle. In 10 years of having diesels I've never been checked, but have heard that they have set up road blocks out here in farming and heavy construction areas and have been checking for red. ;)
DING DING DING and the correct answer is Jordy. We do not get cold enough for #1 even though you might find it somewhere on the west coast. #2 is the normal fuel and red dye is a non highway taxed fuel, cheaper by like 30 or 40 cents a gallon not totally sure but pretty close. You have to have reddye delivered to an on site tank or put it in a transfer tank on your truck. And oh yea,,,,,don't get caught running it in an on highway vehicle :D :D

Chubby4Life
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
there is also #2 clear exemt, Which I think is only available to the farming community for their ranch vehicles that travel on public roadways. The clear fuel is either 2 cents above or below red. The owner of my company uses this on his almond ranch and instructs us to fill there any time we are close. We use pacific Pride but I'm sure CFN and the other cardlocks have the same system.

Danhercules
07-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Must be. I've never seen #1 at a pump and I've been all over this side of the country. ;)
You might have some labeled as "OFF-ROAD" that is red, but it's still #2. You guys don't get cold enough (as far as I have seen) to ever have to run #1 diesel. ;)
I have seen it up in nothern CA. Jordy is 100% correct. There is even Diesel #1 red dye. They run it in the off-road tractors where it freezes.

citifiedfarmkid
07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm a farm kid from the midwest and they offer both types of fuel year round. However, some people will run #1 in the summer for a power gain. I believe in the long run this is a bad idea. Mainly, #1 has less oil and doesn't lubricate the cylinder walls well in hot weather and heavy load conditions. Also #1 always cost a little more, plus I believe it gets poorer mpg.

Wake Havasu
07-07-2005, 09:17 AM
This is the html version of the file http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs124.pdf.
Page 1
August 1995
Number 124
RED DYED DIFSEL ENFORCEMENT
The purpose of this advisory is to enlist the support of air pollution control districts in California in the national effort
to prevent and detect the use of nontaxed diesel fuel for taxable use in California. The Air Resources Board (ARB) is
working with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the State Board of Equalization to stop this illegal activity.
Motor fuel tax evasion results in an estimated annual loss in excess of Sl billion of Federal revenue. The magnitude of
diesel fuel tax evasion fostered support for a national motor fuel coloring or marking program to differentiate taxable highway
diesel fuel from non-taxable No.2 distillate fuels used for other purposes. 'i.e. heating oil, boiler fuel, marine fuel, etc.
Based on the experiences with diesel marking programs in other countries, such a program was determined to be feasible
and would likely provide substantial benefits in the enforcement of diesel fuel taxes.
To improve fuel excise tax compliance, the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1993 changed the point of taxation for diesel
fuel to the block loading rack level and required the dying/marking (RED DYE) of all diesel fuel destined for non-taxable
1Jse. California bas enacted analogous legislation which becattle effective on July 1, 1995.
Both pieces of legislation have a dyed fuel testing component. These components require inspections at any place where
taxable diesel fuel is produced or stored. or at any inspection site where tax evasion may be discovered. Inspection sites
may include highway inspection stations, agricultural inspection stations. or any other location designated by the IRS.
The ARB is working with the IRS to enforce the red dyed diesel fuel regulations. The ARB is being conuacted by the
IRS to conduct inspections of the fuel in the fuel tanks of diesel trucks used on the highways. The inspections will fake
place at inspection sites mentioned above. If a truck is found to have red diesel in its tanks(s), the driver will be assessed
a penalty.
The ARB is requesting that any local air pollution conb'Ol district in California baving information regarding the use of
RED DYED DIESEL in highway vehicles notify the ARB Hotline at (800) 952-5588.
If you have any questions regarding this advisory, please contact Mr. Dickman Lum of the Field Enforcement Section at
(916) 327-1520.
Written inquiries may be sent to:
James J. Morgester, Chief
CompUance Division
P.O. Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95812

07-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Jordy is right, #1 is for cold weather[ usually found in the midwest and east coast] and #2 is a little less refined and doesn't respond well to cold weather and will jell below about 0* F. Has nothing to do with red-dye, clear diesel or taxes.

Dave C
07-07-2005, 09:33 AM
As a side note, the use tax paid on diesel is for "on-road" use (i.e. semi's, pickups used on the highway). The use tax is collected at the pump.
If you use diesel off-road for equipment, farm equipment and such not used on a highway and if you can't find red dye (i.e. non-use tax) then you can claim a credit on your income tax return for overpayment of the tax.
just a quirky bit of the IRC. :)
but then what the hell do I know........ ;)

Freak
07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
What ya got that holds 10k gallons?

Hotfish
07-07-2005, 12:00 PM
About six months ago in Scottdale DOT was checking anything that ran on diesel for red fuel. Kind of a waste of time in that part of town.