PDA

View Full Version : Holley Carb Dilemma Solved

Jeanyus
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
I Decided to get serious, and figure out what was wrong with these 6109 Holley carbs. I moved the boat out side the garage, so I could run it.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859newarea.jpg
After I set the float parallel to the tops of the bowls, I turned the key on (electric fuel pump) gas started pouring out of the front bowl vent in the back carb, I turned the fuel level down till it stopped, now I had fuel dripping out of the venturi, I turned the fuel level screw down till that stopped.
Then started the boat, when I opened the throttle on the front carb, it would rev up, when I opened the throttle on the back carb it crapped out.
Took the back carb off removed the front bowl, and the float level was turned all the way down. So I got a new needle and seat
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859needle_seat.jpg
put it on started the motor, and it made a sweet sound.
When I had the 1 carb off I noticed a brass plug, in the vacuum port on 1 carb, I moved that carb to the back and screwed in a barbed fitting, and hooked up the vacuum gauge.
I started the engine, and started turning the air fuel mixture screws, they all responded, I turned them till the vacuum went up, then backed them off a tad. I have 7 inches of steady vacuum.
Now I just bump the key and it has a sweet idle at 1100 rpms. Those who guessed a bad needle and seat, you were right.
Glad I did not give up on these. Thanks Steelcomp for the sweet deal on the carbs. I will test it at CFW this weekend.

Fiat48
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Told ya so. Now dump then and go injection. :D
Needles and seats....you get good ones..you get bad ones..new means untested.

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Congrats, glad it's solved!. :cool: Now read the post above for good advice!.. ;) :D

MikeF
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM
new means untested.
Too True! :D

Jeanyus
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
What kind of fuel injection do you guys run?
I always wanted one of these but everyone always talks me out of it.
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/6f/18/c0_1_b.JPG
As much trouble as I have with carberators, it seems like fuel injection is way over my head.

Squirtin Thunder
07-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Are you going to Rollins tonight for a test ???

steelcomp
07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the call today Ron. I'm really glad you got it figured out...I knew you could. Those ought to be a sweet set of carbs...put me first on the list if you ever decide to let 'em go. :D :wink:

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 08:01 PM
What kind of fuel injection do you guys run?
I always wanted one of these but everyone always talks me out of it.
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/6f/18/c0_1_b.JPG
As much trouble as I have with carberators, it seems like fuel injection is way over my head.
It's over your head because you think it is(like I did at one time)those Hilborns are great on a small motor, I ran those on my 440 for a while and they kicked ass, but I like the Crowers for a better torque curve but either one works bitchin!.. :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/502/21Done.jpg

Fiat48
07-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Love those Crowers.

steelcomp
07-06-2005, 08:14 PM
It's over your head because you think it is(like I did at one time)those Hilborns are great on a small motor, I ran those on my 440 for a while and they kicked ass, but I like the Crowers for a better torque curve but either one works bitchin!.. :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/502/21Done.jpgSaweeeeet!! :cool: :cool:

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Thank you, and they work as good as they look!.. :cool: :D

Infomaniac
07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
GFR how embarrassing. :idea:
Tube Grip? :jawdrop: Dude take that stuff out of the background before taking pics. :D

GofastRacer
07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Tube Grip? :jawdrop: Dude take that stuff out of the background before taking pics. :D
LMFAO, Dude, you notice that the package is unopened, I got that as a sample at the SEMA show, it came with a cool tube squeezer, the contents are long gone in the trash!.. :D :D

78Eliminator
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I love it when I'm right!!! Glad to hear you are back in black.

Jordy
07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I love it when I'm right!!! Glad to hear you are back in black.
Me too J Dogg. ;)

Rexone
07-06-2005, 11:22 PM
And what about the hole in that pegboard with the mismatch on the plugplate... dude that's messed up. I hope your engine building and rigging skills are better than your pegboard layout and scrollsaw skills.
:D :D

GofastRacer
07-07-2005, 06:41 AM
I hope your engine building and rigging skills are better than your pegboard layout and scrollsaw skills.
:D :D
LMAO, yeah so do I!. :D That happened to be a piece I had sitting around and it was close enough for govment work so on it went!.. :D
BTW, anybody notice the f****n injectors!, LMAO!... :hammerhea :D :D :D

Fiat48
07-07-2005, 06:42 AM
He cut it out right. The wall shifted.

07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Everybodys a critic, right Art? :D

Rexone
07-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Some nice extruded edging would be good on the unfinished edge of that bench too Art. :D
(you're just fortunate you didn't shoot more of the shop background or the might be a 5 page thread lol)

GofastRacer
07-07-2005, 08:06 PM
He cut it out right. The wall shifted.
Yeah, yeah that's right!. :D Actually the pic is from an angle and the board is spaced out from the wall to clear the hooks and the plate is against the drywall!.. :D

GofastRacer
07-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Some nice extruded edging would be good on the unfinished edge of that bench too Art. :D
Yeah right, why don't you come on over and decorate my shop for me!..LOL!.. :D
(you're just fortunate you didn't shoot more of the shop background or the might be a 5 page thread lol)
Yeah and at the rate you're going, it'll be ten pages!..LMAO!.. :D :D :D

GofastRacer
07-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Everybodys a critic, right Art? :D
Yep!. :rolleyes: :D :D