PDA

View Full Version : Diesels

framer1
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Ford, Dodge, GMC who has the best diesel engine? I'm a GMC man but you never know with these great prices.

STV_Keith
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Engine? Dodge. Can't beat a Cummins.

Jordy
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Cummins is great, I'll give ya that. ;)
Truck and tranny? GM. You can't beat an Allison. I run mine at kill all the time and pull 16,500lb generators around and it runs like it's not back there. I have 2 duramaxes and you couldn't steer me another direction. ;)
Maybe it's the lifetime warranty on the transmission I got. :D

sigepmock
07-07-2005, 06:15 AM
I agree that the Cummins is a great engine but the rest of the truck is crap. I used to think the Fords and Chevy's were pretty equal, thinking it came down to personal preference, but I changed my mind yesterday. My buddy Jason had an 05 crew cab F250 that he lifted, did exhaust, etc.......Well it started overheating towing his 27' boat. He thought maybe the lift and all the mods may had caused it so he sold the truck and bought a brand new 05 F350 dually about two weeks ago......guess what....Only 1500 miles on the truck and it's already overheating and the truck is completely stock. He's called the dealer and has to take it in this week. Looks like he's going to buy a Chevy with the DMax. I love mine so far, rides nice, pulls like a champ, 16+ mpg so far, and my wife even likes to drive it.
Chris

Just Tool'n
07-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I bought a Dmax in March could not even think of owning another type of truck.
My best friend bought a F-250 Superduty 6.0L in Jan of this year, Its a nice truck, it runs good, it has a little more room inside than the Chevy. But the Chevy has a better interior. More creature comforts in the chevy over the ford.
The real reason I bought chevy was ther Allison Transmission, Ford has had too many tranny problems in there past superduty's, I know this one is new for 05, time will tell on the tranny issue.

LHC30Victory
07-07-2005, 08:40 AM
What they said! The Cummins is a great motor..but the rest of the truck is not what I wanted. The Ford's are good but too many trans and other issues. The GM DMax/Allison is the best truck I have EVER owned! Pulls our 30 w/twins like it wasn't there! 20mph on the fwy (level) and over 11 towing to Mojave and back!
Can't wait to see what Banks will do for it :D

PHX ATC
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
We've got 2 Cummins in the garage. I like them for what they are. 2001 1/2 and a 2004. Both great trucks as far as we've owned them since new.
I do like the Chevy and the Ford.
All 3 have their shortcomings and great features. Drive all 3 and see what suits your fancy.

Jordy
07-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Can't wait to see what Banks will do for it :D
Save your money on the Banks as there is much better stuff out there. ;) :D

PHX ATC
07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Save your money on the Banks as there is much better stuff out there. ;) :D
What he said. Banks stuff carries a hefty price tag for merely a nameplate that you can stick on the side. A buddy of mine with an 04 Ford Powerchoke, er stroke, has gone through 4 computer chips and Banks just said, "they're not designed for the heat." Not good press in my opinion.
There's plenty of other vendors...bullydog, Edge, etc.

Jordy
07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
There's plenty of other vendors...bullydog, Edge, etc.
Now I'm not going to say one is better than the other, but you might hit STV Keith up and get his thoughts. ;)

BRSTQUEST
07-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Just Bought The D-max/allison Combo And Love It So Far....first Tow Was From Oc To Pyramid Lake This Last Weekend And Couldn't Tell I Was Towing....i Want To Do Some Mild Motor Upgrades Like Exhaust, Tuner, And Filter Swap...i Was Looking At The Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Is It Worth The Money?????? The Edge Programmer Has A Good Reputation......and Filter Will Go With A K&n....am I Going In The Right Direction Or Not.....any Help Is Appreciated As I Am New To The D-max Family....
Thanks
Bob

phebus
07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I love my Duramax, but I'm sure not getting all the mileage claims others are getting.

sigepmock
07-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Just got my 05 Dmax a few weeks ago. I did the Banks Catback exhaust(I got a smoking deal on the banks other wise I would have gone MBRP), Turbo back and you will probably throw engine codes. I also did the Diablo Sport Predator programmer set on 65hp, I think the EDGE is the best but it's slightly harder to remove before going in to the dealer, the Predator programmer is 5 min install/unistall. I added the overhead guages, EGT and Boost, and topped it all off with a K&N. Ok I did a few more things but not to the motor :D
After all the work with my last supercharged truck I wanted this motor to be no hassle dealer friendly. So far so good. I'm seeing 17 to 18 mpg empty, 15 towing my little 21' boat.
Here's a few pics:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495newergauges.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495progress2-med.JPG

riverroyal
07-07-2005, 12:05 PM
6.4 twin turbo ford,wait for that

phebus
07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
sigepmock, you mother, you were supposed to tell me what grill you went with. Looks good!! :D

Brian
07-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree that the Cummins is a great engine but the rest of the truck is crap...
:rolleyes:
Speaking of crap, there seems to be a lot of that getting spread around in here... The Dodge I have now has been more reliable by far than any GM or Ford product I've owned. I've had 3 new GM vehicles and all of them were plagued with many warranty and post-warranty issues. The Ford was pretty solid but still not as good as this Dodge.
:messedup:

Just Tool'n
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
6.4 twin turbo ford,wait for that
So fill us in on all of the excitment for the 06 blue oval superduty!

sigepmock
07-08-2005, 06:28 AM
:rolleyes:
Speaking of crap, there seems to be a lot of that getting spread around in here... The Dodge I have now has been more reliable by far than any GM or Ford product I've owned. I've had 3 new GM vehicles and all of them were plagued with many warranty and post-warranty issues. The Ford was pretty solid but still not as good as this Dodge.
:messedup:
Glad to hear your success. The four people I know that have Dodge trucks have had nothing but problems. Interior parts falling off, body moldings falling off, brake problems, A/C problems, etc. They all swear they will never buy Dodge again. I guess it really comes down what works for you. My last three trucks have been Chevy's and the only problems I had were with my 99 1500, first year of the new body style. I had a few warranty items but GM always took car of it quickly.
Chris

ZBODaytona
07-08-2005, 07:04 AM
So fill us in on all of the excitment for the 06 blue oval superduty!
07 Ford the 06's are at the dealers now.. I love my 05 F350 6.0, of course you will hear how the fords have issues, but the superduty sells more. Have the same failure rate as the chevy and dodge.

STV_Keith
07-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Ford, Dodge, GMC who has the best diesel engine?
I've not seen any problems (other than one leaky rad that they fixed under warranty) from any of the Dodges we've had (9 in the last 5 years) at the shop.
Going back to the original question...you can't argue the answer to his question is CUMMINS!

Rocky
07-08-2005, 09:11 AM
The Cummins moter is great but 5 broken track bars with 65000 miles and new ball joints at 55000 miles is stearing me to a Ford or a Chevy.

jackpunx
07-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I have an 04 f250 with 6" lift, 37" tires, intake and exhaust.. I had the extra power module on it .. but took it off..
I got almost 50k miles on it.. and not one issue.. Love the truck..
Dodge?.. put a million mile motor in a 100k truck?..
GMC is really nice.. less room on the inside.. but very comfortable.. and its a bit quieter...
Im not a Ford or a Chevy guy... I get what I like .. right now.. the ford was best for me.. and Im really happy.
Maybe the next one will be the duramax.. Never know..

nodigg
07-09-2005, 10:28 AM
I went Chevy for the Allison, very comforting feeling going down a big grade towing 15k plus and feeling it shift down and hold you back! GREAT tranny for a pickup.

Punisher
07-10-2005, 09:33 AM
I own a 2001 Excursion with a PSD 7.3.We have 115K clocked on it and have had no tranny or engine probs so far (knock on wood).We do a lot of towing and she still pulls,but its probably because of all the mods she has done to it.We were looking at Duramax but what steered us in the other direction was the ifs front end with the 4x4s.We do some wheeling and I didnt like the thought of an IFS with 40-44s.