PDA

View Full Version : Boating after back surgery?

2Driver
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Been boating all my life much of it on the river and LHC as well as lived there and owned some 10 or so boats. I recently had to get the old lower back fused at the L4 and L5 vertebrae 10 weeks ago. (stuck at home bored as !!!)
While successful and pain free, I will get a clean bill of health (fingers crossed) at 6 months. I would really like to know if anyone out there has experienced the same operation (or knows someone that has) has returned to full time boating - and I don't mean pontoon boating
Your experiences or sugestions ( be nice) might be helpful to hear. :notam:

moneypit
07-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Been boating all my life much of it on the river and LHC as well as lived there and owned some 10 or so boats. I recently had to get the old lower back fused at the L4 and L5 vertebrae 10 weeks ago. (stuck at home bored as !!!)
While successful and pain free, I will get a clean bill of health (fingers crossed) at 6 months. I would really like to know if anyone out there has experienced the same operation (or knows someone that has) has returned to full time boating - and I don't mean pontoon boating
If you have just been fused 10 weeks ago.. I would take a long hard thought about the pain you were into prior to the surgery... I would recommend going to the lake on slow days and I wouldnt get caught out there in the big stuff.
My only experience with this is that I treat people like you all day long..However, I would suggest going up river and floating while having a few cold ones... Enjoy the rest of your time off.
ALso, I would STRONGLY suggest that you go through a medX strengthening program.

wildbillg
07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
My wife had that done plus six(6) screws and two (2) rods in her back, about 2 years ago and she has not been pain free (at all). Is now under MAJOR medication, but they tell her there is no way her back will get any worse. She is wanting to get back to boating, and yes I want to get a pontoon. There are some others on here that have had better luck with thier surgerys (Maryrose) the cookie lady had gotten back to boating with their boat (28 sleekcraft) and she is havin no problems.
Good luck with your future boating.... :clover:

Mandelon
07-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Chat with Phebus and Debbolas as well as Faster Daddy I know all of them have similar issues.
Take it slow!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
I had L5-S1 a few years ago.......
Midlife Advantage just had it done also....His may have been L4-L5......
I still pay for it after a long holiday weekend of boating......
But I'm not throwing in the towel any time soon......
Later,
CJG
:D

phebus
07-06-2005, 08:59 PM
I have had three discectomy/lamenectomy's and I'm awaiting a three level fusion at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. I really don't know what my future will be. The doctor told me a three level fusion will be life changing, but to what extent is unknown. It alll depends on the individual, and how well surgery and recovery go.

burtandnancy
07-06-2005, 09:05 PM
We just pulled the plug partially for this very reason. burtandnancy both had back surgery, and it finally got to us. While I had a stand up boat, no problem, but sitting down in choppy water got to be too much. We're probably a little older than you, and all we can say is be very cautious...

MS B HAVEN
07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
It has been about 13 years since I broke my back, had three surgerys, I have two rods and was fused t12 l1 about mid back. We had a 21ft...... it bounced it was uncomfortable at times, but bearable. BUt I only broke it I have never hd any disc problems i hear that is way more painful.
My back gets stiffer with age, (that sucks) the more yoga, pilates and streching I do the better it feels. (consistancy is key)
So.. go slow, take it easy, lots of ibuprofine, (acts as an anti-inflamitory) streching is key.... and yes...... get a bigger boat with less bounce!!! :rollside:

Essexive G's
07-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I have had three discectomy/lamenectomy's and I'm awaiting a three level fusion at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. I really don't know what my future will be. The doctor told me a three level fusion will be life changing, but to what extent is unknown. It alll depends on the individual, and how well surgery and recovery go.
I had the same thing done when I was 28. Dr. said I needed three level fusion, but I should go as long as possible without it because the extra stress on the vertabrae above and below the fused disks.
He just said flat out "If I do it now by the time you're 40 it''ll be a four level, and by 50 you'll have a 2x4 holding you up".
I'll be 42 in Aug. No problems until this March. Went off work until last week, but seem to be ok now.
When I was hurting all I could think about was the 2x4. Trying to avoid it at all costs.
As far as the boating goes. No problems. Up until 3 years ago I would go out in 4 ft. swells on the basin at Mohave on my Jet ski and tear it up to the point where I was cracking the fiberglass when I would land wrong.
I guess I just got tired of being afraid of hurting it again by bending over to pick up stuff off the floor or even tie my shoes so I went 180*Kamakaze.
I'm only livin once!

Essexive G's
07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I haven't had the fusions yet, but did quite a bit of reading on it.
Depending on if you smoke or not you should probably wait 6 to 9 months to run in the rough stuff. You need to give your bone time to grow over the implant.
Was yours taken from your hip or did they use cow bone? I heard having bone taken from the hip is just as painful as the fusion.
Good luck and don't be afraid to test it. Just do the strengthening therapy. It will help even though it hurts like hell doing it.

chrissy
07-07-2005, 12:09 AM
I had my neck fused at C6-7 4 years ago. A year ago I found out my disc on top of the fusion is ruptured. If it's really rough on the water and I get bounced around I am really hurting about 1/2 way thru the day. :confused: If you still have pain after your surgery you can always get an epidural. I've had several of those and they helped alot...

Jbb
07-07-2005, 03:11 AM
I haven't had the fusions yet, but did quite a bit of reading on it.
Depending on if you smoke or not you should probably wait 6 to 9 months to run in the rough stuff. You need to give your bone time to grow over the implant.
Was yours taken from your hip or did they use cow bone? I heard having bone taken from the hip is just as painful as the fusion.
Good luck and don't be afraid to test it. Just do the strengthening therapy. It will help even though it hurts like hell doing it.
It takes 12-24 months for the fusion to take effect....and you do NOT want to disturb it.....
Taking the bone from the hip is as painful as the back surgery itself...but its your bone and it will fuse...

ahhell
07-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Just dont be in a hurry to get out there, do as others have said and take it easy. I scan people all day long that try to do too much too early and they are usually worse off than before. The disc above the fusion is now taking all the stress of the 2 that were fused and will be prone to herniate or rupture. youre the only one that will be able to tell if youre ready...and dont sneeze :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quality Time
07-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I had an L3, L4, L5 & S1 fussion in June 2001. Titanium rods and lags. I was boating on the great lakes in my brothers 22 stingray in August 2001 followed that up with at trip to Havasu in my 25'. Shortly after Havasu, Lkae Pacific. I wore my brace on and did not have any problems. I did take it easy in the rough stuff at first and I haven't stopped boating since. I will say that my last boat and my current boat have stand-up bolsters which help IMO. Sure, my back let's me know that it's not stock once in a while, but I regularly hit the gym and the racquetball court.
As has been mentioned, don't rush it if you are not certain. Only you can tell when it is time. It took me two years to get the nerve to downhill ski. Did it that with no issues. I was told the only activities I could not do was to bungee jump or parachute. Thanks Doc, not on the list :rolleyes:

2Driver
07-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all the useful info. Glad I found this forum. Looks like I have hope. After reading all the reply's I take away the following instructions:
1. Be sure you are healed and don't over do it.
2. Try to stay in smooth water and have a few cold ones.
3. Buy a big boat.
By-golly I think I can do that !!!!!!!!! :rollside:

phebus
07-08-2005, 07:56 AM
And one more thing. When it comes to rehab, go big on the core strenghtening. It will save you from future injuries, and take a lot of strain off your repaired area.

Debbolas
08-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm having my "hardware" removed next week and the disk above the fusion, "fixed".........my doc wouldn't even discuss boating with me :confused:

phebus
08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm having my "hardware" removed next week and the disk above the fusion, "fixed".........my doc wouldn't even discuss boating with me :confused:
I should buy your hardware. Kinda like an ebay deal, and give it to my doctor, and tell him I want a discount. :D

Debbolas
08-03-2005, 09:14 PM
sounds like a plan, I will ask him :D

BigDoug
08-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Where do i start, i had a spinal fusion of L-5 and S-1 about 2-3 years ago, it is painful to say the least, yes they took bone from my hip too. im an athletic 285 pounds and i couldn't walk or wipe my own ass after surgery :220v: my wife needed to help me (that's embarassing) today i walk slower, do things slower and just slowed way down but when i do a detail on a boat or wrench on a motor i pay for it latter, i still get in hot rod jet boats and go cruising but i pay latter, just take it easy and slow down so you won't be shot at the end of the day. i have screws in my back still and will be there forever... :)

Debbolas
08-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Where do i start, i had a spinal fusion of L-5 and S-1 about 2-3 years ago, it is painful to say the least, yes they took bone from my hip too. im an athletic 285 pounds and i couldn't walk or wipe my own ass after surgery :220v: my wife needed to help me (that's embarassing) today i walk slower, do things slower and just slowed way down but when i do a detail on a boat or wrench on a motor i pay for it latter, i still get in hot rod jet boats and go cruising but i pay latter, just take it easy and slow down so you won't be shot at the end of the day. i have screws in my back still and will be there forever... :)
WOW, I was able to take care of my "personal needs" Scream had to help me shower once, then we got a chair and one of those removable shower heads and I was set.
I was doing fine with my fusion, until about a year ago, it started to hurt again....nothing like the pain before surgery, but it hurt. So they did an MRI and discovered that my disk above the fusion had exploded and ran down behind the fusion hardware. So my doc will take out all the titanium in my back and pick out the crab like disk parts from my spine.
My fusion helped me....made it difficult to shave my legs, but that is a small price to pay to get rid of the "bone crushing pain" I had before the surgery
:D

BigDoug
08-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Debbolas, i remember that our stories were pretty similar :rollside:
The best advise i can give is take it easy for now and by all means have a good support team at home for recovery (family members)

dc96819
08-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I had t6 and 7 fused together after 6 months i started walking again.
A year before i tried getting in a boat.The biggest problem was the water conditions or go slow.I had a torso brace looked like a cast cut in half,that helped no movement of upper body.They say the older you are the longer it takes.