PDA

View Full Version : Hemi parts.

DAVE94LIGHTNING
11-25-2002, 03:05 PM
I am revamping the early Hemi in my boat just to freshen it up since I have no history on its care before I bought it. I want to go for the "performance" look, i.e. everything done in braided hose, not much chrome but powdercoated/painted block, heads, intake etc..
I have the chrome "chrysler fire power" valve covers with the donovan style breathers. I would really like to ditch the chrome for a set of powdercoated/machined valve covers and was wondering if someone had a set for sale, or can I just sandblast mine and powdercoat them whatever color I like?
Second: I have the stock intake off and I will definately be replacing it with an aftermatket unit. Any suggestions on what intake to go with? I kinda like the Weiand intakes with the swappable upper plates for a single carb, dual carb or blower setup..any thoughts on these intakes? BTW..anyone want to buy my old intake?
Is it worth porting the stock intake to match the heads? If it is, I might just have it ported and then powdercoat it as well.
Finally..any tips on prepping & painting the block and heads?
If anyone want's these parts I can post some pictures, let me know.
Valve covers (Chrysler firepower) 331-354-392
Stock intake
Chrome lifter valley cover
thank you. :)

wsuwrhr
11-25-2002, 05:38 PM
I saw a post in here about someone making carbon fiber valve covers for the early hemis. They looked pretty good to me in the pictures. If you are interested I can machine some out of aluminum, I am doing some for my 440 wedge right now. Brian
[ November 25, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Kurtis500
11-25-2002, 09:03 PM
DAVE94LIGHTNING
I loved it when I started out with my first 392. As for your valve covers the ones you have are adequate enough unless you 'want' the M/T's or Donovans. The reason for 'needing' aftermarket valve covers is for high performance applications. When you run a roller or a big solid cam, bigger springs are required, thus a wider spring. If you look at the hemi head the valve springs lays down by the outside edges. When adding a wider spring the stock valve covers will hit it. Also, a high lift on the cam will hit the stock covers too with the rocker arms. Problem is, the M/T's are too short (rocker arm contact) for some applications, and the donovans are too narrow (spring contact) in some applications, though usually not. Hot Heads sells a set that clears both, mine also will. For your set-up the stock should work. I ran them on mine, and some people just love the 'Chrysler Firepower' scripted on the face. They can be easily washed of the chrome and powder coated. You may also consider taking the breathers off. There are always a set or two on ebay to look at.
Good, get rid of the stock intake..HEAVY.. the 392 was the heaviest production V8 (standard) made. 747 pounds, the BBC was 695. A new intake will be perfect. I personally would run a blower, and of course, thats what I run. Sounds radical, but no motor looks as good with a blower than a 392 or 426. The heads are just too fat looking to put carbs on. :D my opinion. But my dad ran a 2x4 for years and was super-reliable. The heads are really suited for a blower more than anything. If you pop out your intake and exhaust valves you'll notice you can look in the intake and see out the exhaust. Great shot for forced intuction!! Thats really why that head style is untouchable in the top fuel and alcohol classes with high boost pressures. But.... 6 webers, or those awesome crossrams on the 392 are way cool too. My first 392 was a blown motor with 2 600 vac secondaries. It was turn-key reliable and ran wonderfully. And it did last a little while on a tank of fuel. Now I strictly drag race my 392.
About the intake, NO, tie a rope around it and use it to anchor your boat down at the river. NOBODY I've seen has the stock intake on it no matter how stock the inside is. The thing is just ugly IMO.
Let me know if you need help finding stuff...I got contacts for parts to the early model hemis.

DAVE94LIGHTNING
11-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Kurtis: Thanks for the education and also for the help earlier. What do you suggest to wash the chrome off the valve covers? I was thinking about sandblasting them but if you have a better solution i'm alll ears.
I will stick with the stock valve covers then and get them powdercoated. I do like the lettering of the "chrysler fire power".
The intake is up for sale then, for now I will buy the weiand "base" with the single 4bbl plate and continue to run the Holley 600 vac secondary that I just rebuilt. This will work well financially and allow me some extra $$ to buy the braided hose and fuel Psi gauge for the carb to fuel pump setup. Do you think I need to buy a regulator?
The boat currently runs a "purolator" fuel pump which I have no idea about. Any ideas on what this pump is capable of? I was thinking of replacing it with a Holley "blue" pump since the purolator does not seem rebuildable.
On a side note, the guy I bought the boat from said that the hemi has a sollid lifter cam in it, no idea on the specs though.
BTW. Do you have any pics of your Hemi motor? I'd love to see them.
That's it for now. I am working on scrubbing, polishing and cleaning all my dissasembeled parts and servicing the V-drive unit. As soon as I get the heads off the motor i'll give you a holler back.
Thanks again.
Dave.

Oldsquirt
11-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Dave the best way to remove the chrome is to take them to a plating shop and them stripped. I've done this several times on a variety of automotive parts.
A cool source for early hemi parts is Hot Hemi Heads (http://www.hothemiheads.com)
[ November 26, 2002, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

GofastRacer
11-26-2002, 06:28 PM
wsuwrhr:
I saw a post in here about someone making carbon fiber valve covers for the early hemis. They looked pretty good to me in the pictures. If you are interested I can machine some out of aluminum, I am doing some for my 440 wedge right now. BrianKurtis500 is making them, they look bitchin, I want a set for BBC!!..... :cool: :cool:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/redcover.JPG
[ November 26, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]