PDA

View Full Version : It's alive....

Jetmugg
07-07-2005, 06:12 PM
The big Ford just barked to life about 1/2 hour ago.
I'm headed to the river tomorrow (after work).
SteveM

460 jus getn it
07-07-2005, 06:13 PM
The big Ford just barked to life about 1/2 hour ago.
I'm headed to the river tomorrow (after work).
SteveM
congrats. nothing like first life, i makes it even better that its a ford............... :D :D :D

FILUCKY
07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Well tell us a little bit about this big Ford.

Squirtin Thunder
07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I want pics !!! :idea:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
jettmugg, How you get it ready so fast? JakeW2 couldn't do it! j/k Good luck. Budlight

Ken F
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Damn Steve, you got high-behind!!!!
Just in time for the roost!
Ken F

Squirtcha?
07-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Way ta go Steve. Have fun, be safe, and take some pictures. I wanna see the whole boat.

Cas
07-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Congrats Steve! It's good to hear you're back in action!

Jetmugg
07-07-2005, 09:33 PM
It's just a fairly mild 460, comp cams magnum cam, victor intake, Bigs 850 DP, MSD dist and 6AL) I'll get some pics tomorrow (on the trailer and in the water). There are already pics of the engine in another thread.
I just made up my mind that this boat was going to get rigged and get wet as soon as practical. I've been working on it a lot of late nights, and have had some good help when needed.
I hope to have good news tomorrow. I'd like to see 75-80 mph if it's running good.
SteveM.

kp216
07-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Congrats on getting it fired so quick Steve!
Are you coming to the Roost?
Kevin

Jake W2
07-08-2005, 04:39 AM
Hey Budlight (I had every thing pretty much made to put it togeather) It is just only half done nothing finished.I hope Steve takes the time to finish it all up at some point.I did not want to just slam it togeather.
Steve I am glad you have reached your goal of putting it in the water.Be safe and have fun.
Jake

Jetmugg
07-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Jake:
Thanks for the opportunity to take over the project. It's probably been quite a few years since this boat has been in the water. Barring anything unforseen, its "Dry Spell" will end today. The boat is not finished to the standards of the "Blown Gullwing Club" by any means. I doubt that it ever will be. I want it to be solid, safe, and well engineered. I tried not to take any shortcuts that would compromize in any of these areas. I don't think it will ever have polished anodized rails or balsa cored flooring. I just don't have the time to commit to that level of detailing.
Anyway, here are a few pics as of this morning. Yes, the trailer needs work, as does the gelcoat. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2777Deck_Shot.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2777Rear_Qtr.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2777Tnk_Eng2.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2777Pump.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2777Tank_Dash.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2777Fullside.JPG
There are a few more pics in the Reader's Rides Jetboats Image Gallery.
PS - is there a way to re-size the pics to a "medium" pixel size?
SteveM.

Squirtcha?
07-08-2005, 07:14 AM
I want it to be solid, safe, and well engineered.
My sentiments exactly. I've got a ton of homemade stuff on my boat. These pieces/parts aint exactly pretty, but they're structurally sound, and have stood the test of time, kids, wakes, a heavy foot etc. for a lot of years now. I'm not afraid to take it anywhere.
My kids are eight years older than when I first bought it, but I've just started all over with my girlfriends three years old. He loves climbing all over the boat with his shoes on while I'm at work. My gel's so messed up that it doesn't even bother me. It's a family boat and I won't have anything that I have to worry about til he's older.
Once ya know she's running and solid, you can pick at the aesthetics thing.
Now go have some fun.

gregr1971
07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
nice rig,just one question.....where did you get the seats and covers?i really need a set bad!

Jake W2
07-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I ment no offence Steve I hope you did not take it that way.Are you going to put the rubrail on?
Jake

Jetmugg
07-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Jake:
No offense taken here, don't sweat it.
I will be putting the rubrail on at some point. I'm not 100% sure what to do about the gelcoat, which needs to be done before the rubrail goes on. I have zero experience working with gel, and don't know the best way to proceed. I'm thinking that if I spray the gray alongside the green, then sand it until the level of the gray matches the level of the green, it will have a nice smooth transition and clean lines. (Just as you described to me). I haven't figured out how to make the transitions from the gray back to black look right, however. As you said, it could be feathered out where the deck curves downward along the gunnels. But on the front deck, and along the back, I don't know how to handle. I suppose shooting clear over the top of everything would help to hide the "steps" from one color to another.
As far as the rigging and detail, I may pull the seats and engine out during the off-season, lay some wood (similar to Luann plywood) down the center of the floor, clean up the outside areas of the hull (outside the stringers), and then flow-coat the entire inside. It would look similar to the pics of the guy who just finished rigging the 19' Gullwing (pics posted a couple weeks ago). I'd like to take the sharp edges off some of the brackets, clean up some details, and get to work on the trailer. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for some good trailer ideas and pics. I'll start another thread on this topic.
As far as the seats, I bought them a couple years ago from somebody on dragboats.com. I forgot his name (he makes the seats), but they are not impossible to come by. Jake had them covered and did the gelcoat.
Later,
Steve.

cyclone
07-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Steve- is your ride plate bent downward at the cradle? it looks like it in the photo and that wont help performance.

Jetmugg
07-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Nope, that must be a funny reflection or something. I'm glad that people are looking though. It helps to have fresh sets of eyes look at something.
It's flat and straight. As close as I could measure, it's about 2 degrees up.
Cyclone - this is the boat that used to have the pump that I sold to ToddnJuzz a couple years ago (with the malibu barbi bowl). It's a small world when it comes to jet boats and parts, isn't it.
SteveM.

Jake W2
07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Steve I think the best thing to do on the gel would be sand down the green with 150 agine then take the gallon of green you have and re shoot it and then shoot the grey.Then sand every thing down with 600(so not to go through the black because it has been sanded and polished befot) and shoot clear gel over all of it then re block(wet sand) it and polish it out. Since it has a false floor I was just going to clear the stringers gunwhale suports and back of the floor and put carpet in the rest.And yea the mounts would lok better edge sanded ect.That is the finishing I am talking about.
Jake

Jetmugg
07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a good plan Jake.
I'm headed to the river now.
Will post results later.
SteveM.