PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1: Momos, Eclipse SE or Kappas?

Willsurf4food
07-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Hi there,
Keeping it short ... 3 vacation trips this summer and lots of new toys has left me short of cash to fund the stereo. Can't say that I am sorry because it was great fun :rollside: but I also am going to half to keep it lean.
I am going to need to break the stereo for my small boat into 2 phases.
Phase 1 - separates and a multi channel amp
Phase 2 - mono block D class amp and something that goes thump, thump.
Phase 1 - separates and a multi channel amp (Phase 2 wont happen this summer)
AMP
Unless you guys think I should do something different I will be going with Roz's favirote low budget JL (JLAudio E6450) for the seperates. I am up for better ideas but I am also up for keeping it simple.
Separates
I know that ultimately rounds will play more accurately than 6X9s but I am guessing the JLAudio E6450 will not push the speakers to reach that state and I am banking on the extra bass from 6X9s to let me slide without a real subwoofer for a while.
Layout
- two 6X9s down way low under the back seats, facing ankles
- two 6X9s facing the driver and co-pilot's shins (also low)
- two 6X9s down low under the bow seats, facing ankles
- two 4" rounds with a bass filter facing the driver and co-pilot shoulders to fill in some of the mids and highs lost to the ankles (4" or a big tweeter is all I room to mount above shin height in the boat).
Which Speakers?
I run the river, lakes and in the salt. The speakers will all be down low and get splashed while out and sprayed at least a a little while I am cleaning up. Being down low they will all get kicked by little feet on a regular basis. I like the way the Infinity sound and also the Momos. I not have heard Eclipse SEs in a good setup but there seems to be respect for them here on the board.
So which speakers should I go for?
- Polk 6X9 Momo MMC690 (Early on people complained these burning capaciters out. Are they viewed as reliable now?)
- Infinity Kapa 693.5i (look like metal grills .. will those rust?)
- Infinity Kapa 693.7i
- Eclipse SE8495
- MB Quart Marine 6X9 (these dont seem to be very popular I thought I should test this option with the group to be sure)
Thanks Much,
Willsurf

Beer-30
07-08-2005, 07:38 AM
All that you are looking at is excellent.
I am an Eclipse fan. Picking up my ordered pair of SE-8495s today, replacing first pair of Sony Xplods.
I will eventually replace all 6 Xplods with 8495s. You should be able to get them for around $130 / pair, if you go with Eclipse.
I have all Eclipse in my truck, other than the bass, which is Fosgate. Eclipse deck, paragraphic eq, 10-disc, 6.5 components in the front doors, 5.25 point sources in the rear doors. 80x4 Eclipse running those. My system is 7 years old and still just rails. Have not replaced a thing, and I am not easy on it. It is hard to beat the clarity for the price.

phebus
07-08-2005, 08:05 AM
I have a combination of the Eclipse 4 ways, and MB Quart 6X9's. The Eclipse sound better then the MB Quart, but I used the MB Quart down low where they are more subject to the elements, as well as getting kicked and bumped into. The MB Quart hold up very well, and the nice thing is the covers which screw on, and are very durable and can be kicked, etc. without suffering any damage such as dented and falling off grills. Even though they don't sound quite as good as the Eclipse, they still sound great, and I'm glad I went with them.
What good are great sounding speakers, if they don't hold up. Going with the MB Quart is a little of a trade off, but depending on your mounting location may be your best bet.

Phat Matt
07-08-2005, 08:45 AM
In my current boat I have the Infinity 6x9's and they sound great! I would recommend them.

ROZ
07-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Eclipse SE's or the Polks.... The polk grill is a little more "element" friendly, but the SE's grill has a little more coverage...The polk Tweeter can be directed up if need be...
What part of San Marcos do you live and are you on the Yamaha jet Boater's boards?

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
We are running 4 Polk 6x9's and 6 Polk 5 1/4's off of two JL 300/4's and I can tell you that they crank. Great sound, and you can point the tweeters in any direction. Im not sure if the components are the same.

Willsurf4food
07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
All that you are looking at is excellent.
I am an Eclipse fan. Picking up my ordered pair of SE-8495s today, replacing first pair of Sony Xplods.
I have all Eclipse in my truck, other than the bass, which is Fosgate. Eclipse deck, paragraphic eq, 10-disc, 6.5 components in the front doors, 5.25 point sources in the rear doors. 80x4 Eclipse running those. My system is 7 years old and still just rails. Have not replaced a thing, and I am not easy on it. It is hard to beat the clarity for the price.
Hmmmm, well how could you argue with a recommendation like that?
An outstanding question for me on the Eclipse is how water & weather durable they are. After every run in the salt the boat gets a 2-3 hose down. The Polk web site brags on the 'marine readiness' of the Momos but I have not yet found anything on how sun and water durable they are? Does any have any info on this?
Thanks much,
Willsurf

Willsurf4food
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a combination of the Eclipse 4 ways, and MB Quart 6X9's. The MB Quart hold up very well, and the nice thing is the covers which screw on, and are very durable and can be kicked, etc. without suffering any damage such as dented and falling off grills. Even though they don't sound quite as good as the Eclipse, they still sound great, and I'm glad I went with them.
Ya, the hostile nature of the mounting location is one my mind. I have heard the MB Quart 6.5's but I have never heard the 6X9s. Would you mind sharing how the sound of the 6X9's contrasts to the 6.5s? Most 6X9s are more effecient (a clean 'louder' at lower RMS) and put out more bass. Is this true of the MB Quart 6X9s as well? Also I am guessing the mids and highs approximate the the 6.5s. How the the MB bass compare to your Eclipses?
Thanks Much,
Willsurf

Willsurf4food
07-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey Phat Matt,
I have been reading about your new boat. Nice ride!! :D
In my current boat I have the Infinity 6x9's and they sound great! I would recommend them.
I really like the sound of the Infinity's. It seems like the Kapa 693.5s came with metal grills (ever see one rust?) and the Kapa 693.7s have open grills. A big question on my mind is not that the butal rubber ring is more exposed to the sun how will they hold up. Any thoughts?
Thanks good luck with the E-Ticket!,
Willsurf

ROZ
07-08-2005, 11:22 AM
The Polk web site brags on the 'marine readiness' of the Momos but I have not yet found anything on how sun and water durable they are? Does any have any info on this?
I don't know if I'd call it bragging, but if you have a problem due to water, you're likely going to have much better luck getting warranty work or replacement through Polk than Eclipse...
Most speakers these days are poly cone and have rubber surround, so UV protection shouldn't be too much of an issue... When you get subs, make sure to go with a ruber surround subwoofer, or a hybrid foam that has UV safe properties.
So what part of SAn Marcos are you in?

Willsurf4food
07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks ROZ,
Eclipse SE's or the Polks.... The polk grill is a little more "element" friendly ...
Any comments about how element friendly the the rest of the ES's are, the drivers, sounds, tweeters, etc.. ? Should I expect excess rust soon, will things start to separate or burn out after I wash the boat 5 times, how hot sun durable .. any thoughts would be a great help.
The polk Tweeter can be directed up if need be...
WaTchTheGelCoat said the same thing about the Momo tweeters. I know the tweeters in the 6.5's have good directional positioning but when I looked at the MMC690 it seemed like the tweeters were fixed a boring straight up out of the basket. Do I have this wrong. Can the tweeters on the 6X9 really be positioned at an upward angle to help with lifting the highs off the floor?
What part of San Marcos do you live and are you on the Yamaha jet Boater's boards?
I live in Discovery Hills, 1 mile east of San Marcos Blvd and Via Vera Cruz and 1 mile west of CSU San Marcos. Sounds like your close.
Yep, I spend time on that board. SoCalMark is an HUGE fan of yours and sent me your way. He just can't stop grinning ear to ear.
Thanks much,
Willsurf

Beer-30
07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Man, I don't know about the whole washdown thing. I would lean toward "marine-only" types. I know infinity makes some. I would probably go Infinity if I couldn't do Eclipse for some reason. My local Eclipse dealer is awesome and always offers to "warranty" stuff, even though it's 7 years old.
I haven't needed the warranty yet.
I am not afraid of car speakers in the boat, as none are facing up, toward the sun / water. They are down along the feet, but we just wipe the floors anyway. No water spraying. Additionally, with so much freeboard, we don't take water over the sides or bow anyway. These Xplods had lasted 4 years, so I would expect at least that from the Eclipses or Infinitys.

ROZ
07-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Ahhh,walking distance after a drunken stooper at Penny Lane :D

Phat Matt
07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Hey Phat Matt,
I have been reading about your new boat. Nice ride!! :D
I really like the sound of the Infinity's. It seems like the Kapa 693.5s came with metal grills (ever see one rust?) and the Kapa 693.7s have open grills. A big question on my mind is not that the butal rubber ring is more exposed to the sun how will they hold up. Any thoughts?
Thanks good luck with the E-Ticket!,
Willsurf
Mine are the 693.5's and they haven't had any rust on them. They can dent pretty easy though. The only problem I have had with them is the center tweeters falling off from the bouncing. They still work, but I haven't taken the covers off to fix them. They do put out really good sound though.
Thanks about the Eticket. I can't wait to hear it, and drive it!

riverbound
07-08-2005, 12:17 PM
I would do the Eclipse's. I have always had very good luck warranty wise with their stuff in boats. Mine are coming up on 3 years now and no problems. but I hae warrantied MANY for customers in the past and never had problems. The warranty issue really depends on the dealer.

Willsurf4food
07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Ahhh,walking distance after a drunken stooper at Penny Lane :D
Exactly.. :rollside:
My nieghbor does not want to have his kids see him smoke cigars so 5 or 6 times a year we head over to Penny Lane for a tall draft of Guniness and a long relaxing smooth smoke. Ok, maybe two Guninesses.
Allright, usually three.
Ya, you got me, :devil: but it was only four and a forced walk home once.
Willsurf

ROZ
07-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Ya, you got me, :devil: but it was only four and a forced walk home once.
Willsurf
I don't reccomend doing that during the rainy season... That creek will wash your drunk a$$ away ... Not that I've done that before.... I live near Nordal.... TOBTEK, however, is on the other side of the hill from you and will soon be in a mansion on the hill above the lake... Those rich guys, I tell ya... :D

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
WaTchTheGelCoat said the same thing about the Momo tweeters. I know the tweeters in the 6.5's have good directional positioning but when I looked at the MMC690 it seemed like the tweeters were fixed a boring straight up out of the basket. Do I have this wrong. Can the tweeters on the 6X9 really be positioned at an upward angle to help with lifting the highs off the floor?
You are correct, the 6x9 tweeters are fixed.

Beer-30
07-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Just angle your head. :)