PDA

View Full Version : Q: Catalina Ski Race Pre Race Proceedure

burtandnancy
07-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Since the finish line has changed, and there are supposedly problems in the channel, are they still going to have the parade to the dock to turn in drivers licences? Haven't seen anything written about that. Its always great to see every boat go past the dock before the race. Hope its not too late to get an answer, everyone is probably there by now.
See you in AM

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 07:04 AM
I asked about that specifically at tech the other night. They were 90% sure they would still have the parade over to the WC dock to turn in ID's, and they would let the racers know what channel route was safe during the driver's meeting this afternoon. We were churning up mud when we used that dock all week during training runs...
I've got an aircard for my laptop - I'll update this after we get down there later this morning and I talk to Randy.
Enjoy the race. It should be real fast this year...

dirty old man
07-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Coming down from Lake Mead to watch. If the race is shortened, are all the old records voided? What happened to the channel?

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 07:17 AM
The Catalina Express guys dredged the channel out - on one side only. They dumped the sludge on the other side... It's REAL shallow in parts, amd no, they have not yet addressed the adjusted course distance for the records.

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 07:20 AM
I Dont Think It Will Do Anything To The Records. A Few Years Back The Finish Line Was At The Quenn Mary And I Dont Think They Changed Anything.

dirty old man
07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Dredged the Channel? That really sucks! (pun intended)

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Hey River When Was The 50 Th. Annver. Of The Race. That Was The First Year I Did The Race And The Quenn Mary Was The Finish Line. 99 Or 2k?

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 07:24 AM
This is the 57th running this year, so I guess the 50th was 1998? I suck at math...

superdave013
07-08-2005, 07:25 AM
OK, dumb question #1:
Where is the finish line this year?
Dumb question #2:
Where is the best place to watch (on shore)

Riverkid
07-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Finish line this year (as I was told at tech this week) is the fantail of the QM. If the cruise ship is there also it will make good viewing pretty tough. Get out on a boat! Otherwise prerun the area. I've seen peeps all over the place on shore, but how they got there I can't tell you. Good luck.

superdave013
07-08-2005, 07:33 AM
thanks, I know right were to watch now.
The wife and I got married on the QM. So she might even get up early to have breakfast there and watch the show.

Jrocket
07-08-2005, 08:12 AM
thanks, I know right were to watch now.
The wife and I got married on the QM. So she might even get up early to have breakfast there and watch the show.
So where is the best spot SD? Im gonna be down there to watch from shore also.

superdave013
07-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Park at the QM.
then I'll prolly walk up the bridge to watch then take off. And then go to the stern of the QM (but you have to pay to get on the ship) or go down on the rock jetty.

Rexone
07-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Since the finish line has changed, and there are supposedly problems in the channel, are they still going to have the parade to the dock to turn in drivers licences? Haven't seen anything written about that. Its always great to see every boat go past the dock before the race. Hope its not too late to get an answer, everyone is probably there by now.
See you in AM
As far as I know Burt they are having the DL parade thing. But as said finish line is moved out to rear of QM. That should be the best place from shore to see start and finish I think this year. I'll be in Jerry Steeles 35 Nordic #958 observing for Debbie Nordblad, hope to see you there.
On the way back too there will be a turn boat out towards midway between the islands that we'll be going around...big left 90ยบ turn coming in towards the QM about 1/2 mile out at least. So the boats won't be hugging the west side coming back in. A little different than past years.

burtandnancy
07-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Mike, thanks for info. Hopefully with this kind of finish we may get a good sprint out of it, and the viewing could even be better for the spectators.
Good luck to your team, does Debbie still hold the womens record?

Rexone
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Mike, thanks for info. Hopefully with this kind of finish we may get a good sprint out of it, and the viewing could even be better for the spectators.
Good luck to your team, does Debbie still hold the womens record?
yes 59:08 :smile:
see you there

mbrown2
07-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Dumb Question: Where do they park the boats at?
Next Dumb Question: What time do they start?

burtandnancy
07-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Not too dumb, just kinda. If you mean park the boats, while on trailers, all over the various parking lots. If you mean; dock their boats, thats where ever they can find slips, docks or cans. Its real tight this year due to so many sail boats being in LB Harbor for the TransPac. The race is supposed to start at 8:00 AM sharp, but lately thats been difficult. The CG has the last word and it depends on the fog, if the harbor thru the Queens Gate is open or not (they don't slow down the tankers or freighter) and a few other factors. One year it started just after 2:PM and was very rough. One year we started on time, but the fog came down a few miles out. The most tense race I've ever been in. When we got to Catalina, the fog had lifted and we were surrounded by Ski Race Teams, and had not seen anything for 20 miles or so. After making the turn it was back into the fog again, knowing that 90 or more boats were coming head on at you at over 60 MPH! Fortunately, there were no collisions and only a few "incidents". Every driver you meet that was in that race can tell you stories.

mbrown2
07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks BnN...next dumb question?
Where is vendors area? They mention on the website they have booth's setup...

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah I Was In That Race When I Skied Behind A 19' Hallett. I Think The Year After That They Started Handing Out The Pagers. My Dad Was Observing For Me And I Remember Him Saying That There Was A Couple Of Times Were He Said The Driver Would Move Over Really Sharp. He Thought We Were Really Off Course, But Then A Big Boat Would Appear Out Of The Fog. Pretty Scary Stuff That Race.

burtandnancy
07-08-2005, 02:06 PM
brown2, have no idea this year. Things have changed. But its a short walk from the West Coaster to the stern of the QM. Everyone who would know must already be down there - partying...

mbrown2
07-08-2005, 02:54 PM
brown2, have no idea this year. Things have changed. But its a short walk from the West Coaster to the stern of the QM. Everyone who would know must already be down there - partying...
Thanks....I have never been (I know what avid boater has never watched catalina race), but hopefully if the wife is game, I am heading down there in the am....

Jrocket
07-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks....I have never been (I know what avid boater has never watched catalina race), but hopefully if the wife is game, I am heading down there in the am....
Call me and let me know where your gonna be.I have never been and dont really know where to go.I bet we could find the bar though.

Laser 21
07-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Next Dumb Question: What time do they start?
I was told today, the start has been moved to 9:00 am

burtandnancy
07-08-2005, 06:38 PM
thanks, I'll sleep in another hour. hope you're right

Rexone
07-08-2005, 07:49 PM
start is at 9, fog permitting. Not 8.
also the QM is offering a discount admit rate for viewing the race, $10 instead of the normal $29 (+ parking of course). The QM will be the best place to view the race from shore IMO but there will be no PA system on the QM telling you who's who. That will still be back at the Coast hotel. :hammerhea
If you want to know who's who I'd go to the hotel and get a program or late entry sheet b4 heading to QM to watch.
For anyone planning to launch the ramp by the hotel will be closed from 4am to 7:30 am due to negative low tide at about 6am or so. I'd recommend launching elsewhere as it will be chaios (guessing) if any race boats are left trying to launch. It is very shallow in the channel due to all the storms. That's why they had to move the finish line out.

team 933
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
9am start with no fog, small boats leave @ 8:53. finish at stern of qm, not at hotel. Best place to view start is pier J...........finish ?????????????? :hammerhea

Rvr2Bch
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes, the start is now 9:00 AM. The tide will be very low and with all the dredging in that area, they decided to let the water come up a little so that boats that still have to launch can do so w/o any issues. We just came back from the hotel, then dinner at the Yardhouse. What a great time- docks filled with race boats, and the place filled with racers and friends.

Riverkid
07-09-2005, 03:54 AM
FYI,
The Catalina race merch for sale is behind room 151 (water side) of building 4. Just look for the EZ-Ups over by the tennis courts. Good stuff this year. As said, no PA announcing on the QM, but the sound will be up at the WC. There are several large buoys off the bow of the QM and all racers must be shut down, skiers and ropes collected, before crossing that line. From there it's 5mph back to the hotel. They are still doing the parade with ID drop off back at the hotel dock at 0730, just can't approach the bridge as usual... The main start as noted is 9AM due to the tide and launch ramp issues. Should be clear - looking across the harbor right now - no fog at all.
Good luck everyone!

Hallett
07-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Way to go riverkid, if you can try to get some pic's
for us that cant be there.

Riverkid
07-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Even after surviving the bar last night I've been up since 3:30 - all fired up. I'm taking my camera out on the boat with us so I'll get some B4 and after shots. Gonna be busy during the race though :p
Coupla friends showed up last night - with a chopper. They got our video camera quick! Finish sucks this year but what are we gonna do? FYI, they moved the final turn buoy out about a half mile from the QM to compensate for the distance lost, so all records will still be official. It's gonna be fast today.
Yah baby!