PDA

View Full Version : Plow wind

Tom Brown
07-08-2005, 09:34 AM
We just had a plow wind go through near one of our retail locations. You folks in the south probably don't know too much about plow winds but they can be pretty severe.
This one blew three rail cars off the track (grain cars), knocked over a pretty substantial grain drier, and left several feet of water inside the grain elevator. Our local technicians said water on the access road was head light level deep and that all came in less than 15 minutes.
I wasn't there but I'll post some pictures, if I get access to some.
It's all part of nature's fury. :)

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Damn Sounds Pretty Scary. I Wonder If It Is Similar To A Micro Burst.

Jbb
07-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Damn Sounds Pretty Scary. I Wonder If It Is Similar To A Micro Burst.
No....a micro burst is when Brown fills up on Bran muffins and cheddar at the am meeting....runs to the shitter ......and finds it locked..... :D

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Lmao

HCS
07-08-2005, 09:49 AM
What the hell.

bunny 166
07-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Man, TB, you really must live in the sticks....

Tom Brown
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Man, TB, you really must live in the sticks....
I do but I enjoy the feed lot lifestyle. :cool:

Mrs.Racer277
07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
That sounds really scary. :(

Tom Brown
07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
It is scary.
A few years ago, a plow wind came through the village at our lake. It came about 40 feet from our cottage. The wind gust was about 75 feet wide. The cottage next door ended up on the other side of the village.
Plow winds can reach speeds of 200 mph.
Our village was declared a disaster area. As I recall, they had to clean up about 6000 fallen trees.
My Dad was in our cottage when the wind came through. He said the whole building was rocking more than he thought it could and he described the rain as coming in horizontally. He figured it would go at any minute but there was no where to go. The cottage is about 15 feet from the edge of the water and about two and a half feet above the water table. There is no basement to go to.

Biglue
07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
It is scary.
A few years ago, a plow wind came through the village at our lake. It came about 40 feet from our cottage. The wind gust was about 75 feet wide. The cottage next door ended up on the other side of the village.
Plow winds can reach speeds of 200 mph.
Our village was declared a disaster area. As I recall, they had to clean up about 6000 fallen trees.
My Dad was in our cottage when the wind came through. He said the whole building was rocking more than he thought it could and he described the rain as coming in horizontally. He figured it would go at any minute but there was no where to go. The cottage is about 15 feet from the edge of the water and about two and a half feet above the water table. There is no basement to go to.
Sounds like scarry stuff man. I guess every region has it's nature's fears.

Blown 472
07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
You see Tom they dont get "weather" in socal, not like where you are and in the upper midwest.

AZKC
07-08-2005, 11:40 AM
plow wind—(Or plough wind.) Strong straight-line winds associated with nontornadic outflow from strong thunderstorms.
Used by Canadian meteorologists, particularly in Manitoba; no longer used in the United States. :D :D

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Wow. Since You What The Definition Of That Is. What Is A Micro Burst Then?

Jbb
07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
refer to post #3-

Dave C
07-08-2005, 12:56 PM
you know you live in the sticks when you use the terms "village" and "cottage" in the same sentence. :wink:
Plough wind... what will you canadians think of next..... :)

moneypit
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Hell its July... I dont get it.. A little breeze might be nice

AZKC
07-08-2005, 02:05 PM
microburst—A downburst that covers an area less than 4 km along a side with peak winds that last 2–5 minutes.
Differential velocity across the divergence center is greater than 10 m s-1. The strong wind shears associated with a microburst can result in aircraft accidents. :crossx: :crossx:

Her454
07-08-2005, 02:07 PM
We just had a plow wind go through near one of our retail locations. You folks in the south probably don't know too much about plow winds but they can be pretty severe.
This one blew three rail cars off the track (grain cars), knocked over a pretty substantial grain drier, and left several feet of water inside the grain elevator. Our local technicians said water on the access road was head light level deep and that all came in less than 15 minutes.
I wasn't there but I'll post some pictures, if I get access to some.
It's all part of nature's fury. :)
I thought this thread was going to be about Tom farting on a tractor. :hammer2:

BROADMINDED
07-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Ok Thank You Azkc.

Tom Brown
07-08-2005, 02:10 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Tom farting on a tractor. :hammer2:
Nothing knocks the gas out of you like a good cross furrow run on the rod-weeder. :cool:

Her454
07-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Nothing knocks the gas out of you like a good cross furrow run on the rod-weeder. :cool:
At any rate, glad to hear your ok. I dont want anything to get in the way of my gift. :D

Tom Brown
07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Don't worry. I'll have that frame gilded.
... no Lucky, I'm not going to cut the testicles off the picture frame.

Her454
07-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Don't worry. I'll have that frame gilded.
... no Lucky, I'm not going to cut the testicles off the picture frame.
LMAO................................ but I sent Lucky back down to Bench Racers, he wasn't behaving again. :hammerhea :wink:

Dave C
07-08-2005, 03:05 PM
uhhhh can I get a translation on this one... I don't speak canatard?
I suspect there is some humor in there somewhere, I would just like to know what it is?

canuck1
07-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Tom send my roof back to me will ya