PDA

View Full Version : Back from first trip with 18 Gullwing

Jetmugg
07-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Just got back from the river (Meramec River just south of St Louis). The motor started and ran fine, very reliable all afternoon. The boat rode good, everything worked, it pulled very strong.
Now for the numbers, which were not quite what I was hoping for (obviously there must be a problem both with the tach and the GPS.).
I got a best of 70.9 mph at somewhere around 4700-4800 rpm. (460 ford and an A/B Berkeley impeller). ( I was hoping to see something over 75 mph. I think I just need more power. I have the nitrous setup, but I'm not quite ready to use it just yet.
I'd like to be able to check the timing, I have no idea where it's set now.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Later,
SteveM>

ANY&ALL
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
what is the specs on the motor and pump please and approximate hp thanks

BrendellaJet
07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
any leaks?

Jetmugg
07-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Just a trickle from the transom plate, and another trickle from a fitting on the front of the engine.
The engine is a stock 460 bottom end and heads, comp cams magnum cam, victor intake, 850 bigs carb, Bassets, I'm guessing maybe 375-400 HP (I didn't build the engine). MSD distributor and 6AL box.
The pump has the best of everything (Jetaway, worked by MPD, stainless AB berk impeller, flowed aggressor bowl, stuffer, berk droop, hydraulic diverter. Loader, shoe, and rideplate by MPD. The pump is not holding this combination back. Maybe I can get another mph or two or three from the ride plate and shoe adjustments.
I really think I just need more poop to turn the pump.
The carb is getting WOT, but as I stated, I don't know how the timing is set. I need to come up with a timing pointer, and shoot it in.
It's turning 4700-4800 rpm. I'd like to see about 5200 rpm and something over 80 mph. Maybe I can get there with the nitrous.
SteveM.

squirt
07-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Steve,
4700- 4800 with that boat and you should be seeing more MPH than that. Yes you could use more power and that will get you more MPH, but it looks to me like you have more MPH left in your set-up.
Don

jweeks123
07-08-2005, 09:18 PM
you're going to add nitrous and you don't know where the timing is set??? :jawdrop:
son, how long have you been reading these forums?
find a "how to" book, web site, etc and learn timing. make a pointer, find tdc, degree the damper, set timing, save your equipment.....
jw

Jetmugg
07-09-2005, 05:06 AM
I think there are a few more mph in the setup also. (ride plate and shoe). It's got a back cut shoe, and I think it needs to be shimmed down a bit. If I get off the throttle, it doesn't "grab" like I think it should. The biting edge of the shoe looks like it's about 1/8" above the keel line when measured with a 4 foot straightedge. I will check with a longer straightedge today. I also have the PD changeable inserts for the nozzle. It currently has the blue insert. I have a red insert, but haven't measured the inside diameters. It seems to run best with the tail about 6 feet off the water. I'm not crazy about the hydraulic PD controls. I prefer the manual control to be able to know exactly where the PD is pointed.
Does anyone want to trade a manual control for this hydraulic setup?
And no, I won't run the nitrous without knowing where the timing is set. I need to get a pointer setup and check the timing. However, the timing was set by Jake, and the engine was never disturbed when the engine was removed and re-installed in the GW. What is a good total advance number for a 460? Is 32-34 degrees safe?
What I really want is the same thing everybody else wants - more power and more speed. Like I said earlier - the most likely explanation is that my tach is reading about 400 rpm low, and that my GPS is reading about 10 mph slow. LOL.

RandyH
07-09-2005, 05:29 AM
I think there are a few more mph in the setup also. (ride plate and shoe). It's got a back cut shoe, and I think it needs to be shimmed down a bit. If I get off the throttle, it doesn't "grab" like I think it should. The biting edge of the shoe looks like it's about 1/8" above the keel line when measured with a 4 foot straightedge. I will check with a longer straightedge today. I also have the PD changeable inserts for the nozzle. It currently has the blue insert. I have a red insert, but haven't measured the inside diameters. It seems to run best with the tail about 6 feet off the water. I'm not crazy about the hydraulic PD controls. I prefer the manual control to be able to know exactly where the PD is pointed.
Does anyone want to trade a manual control for this hydraulic setup?
And no, I won't run the nitrous without knowing where the timing is set. I need to get a pointer setup and check the timing. However, the timing was set by Jake, and the engine was never disturbed when the engine was removed and re-installed in the GW. What is a good total advance number for a 460? Is 32-34 degrees safe?
What I really want is the same thing everybody else wants - more power and more speed. Like I said earlier - the most likely explanation is that my tach is reading about 400 rpm low, and that my GPS is reading about 10 mph slow. LOL.
Congats Steve, Wasnt it you that told me the term, cubic dollars $$$$ a few years ago. Craig has a nice built up schedule on his ford and built himself a 501 last year. I think he dynoed it at 550 or better. Be Safe,
RandyH

Jetmugg
07-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Randy:
I don't know If I told you the "Cubic $$$" term or not, but it is certainly applicable for these boats.
Did you get all of your engine issues worked out? How is your Ultra running? The last I remember, you had about 75 MPH, correct? I certainly hope to get up your way and have a ride some time.
I like the idea of the Ford stroker motors, aftermarket aluminum heads, big roller cams, etc. (Cubic $$$). I'm actually a "Chevy guy" at heart, but I have learned to respect the ability of the Fords to run hard and survive.
The Gullwing I have now is the best investment I've had in a boat. I think I could actually sell it for more than I have in it right now. That is rare for a boat. I don't want to get Upside-Down financially (or on the water) with this one. There is more left in the setup and hopefully in the engine. I was just hoping for a bigger number on my first time out.
Tell Craig I said hello, and want to get a ride in his Baja also.
I think I might head back to the river this afternoon for more test and tune.
SteveM.